What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do You Collect Grass/Un-Improved Strips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather miss all the friendly grass strips back home in England.

Here's a view taken by my passenger a few years back of landing at the Glenforsa Hotel in the Isle of Mull off the west coast of Scotland.

//www.youtube.com/embed/LBT4OEhCIdA

[QUOTE=Vlad 2014 Grass Season is about to close...

It never closes here at Merlin. Sometimes unusable. Grass is nice and pretty but now that I have this nose-dragger, I sometimes wish I lived on a paved strip. Way less bugs also.:)

Hope your guys can come next year. I will try to give more notice next time.

Hoping to add this strip to my collection next weekend :)

lingalonga_zps7daeb4df.jpg

That is a pretty one! Did you visit?

Grass Season 2014 is closed

50 new non paved runways were added to my collection in 2013 which brings total of 68 different grass/gravel/other-then-hard surface strips.

23 new unique non paved strips were added in 2014. Not bad for a slow year. Totals 91 different grass/gravel/other surfaces :D

Highlights of the year.

Marvin's Backyard 5TN4

Tim Botsford's strip by Syracuse NY.

The most challenging award goes to Dry Bay Alaska AK3 :D

... and the highest adrenaline award goes to an abandoned airstrip at closed Birchwood Resort in PA.

It was a good year looking forward to 2015!
Keep pulling those wires...

Graqss Strips

Vlad-
There is a website called upstatelist.org. They list a lot of fly in breakfasts, many on grass strips, in some cases private strips that are open for the event. Kline Kill, southeast of Albany has two events. White Birch, east of Binghampton, used to have breakfast every week. Western part of NY State, quite a few grass airports that have at least one breakfast a year.
The big ones on paved runways are Penn Yan, July 4th, Weedsport and Oswego County, once a month??
Couple of events already listed for '15.

Marvin and Tom are "Living the life". It's a shame to see Birchwood in that condition. I always liked that place. That's where they caught the fruitcake that murdered the Pa. State Trooper recently.

Grass Season 2015 is open. 1DS Dry Swamp, SC

I was late with grass season this year but better later then never. A week ago on a quick weekend run down south I discovered this gem. Thanks to broken fuel pumps at Barnwell.

Dry Swamp 1DS has a well manicured grass runway. It's moderately long with trees on both end. However if you can't land at 53VG don't go to Dry Swamp. :)

The airport is privately owned and open for the public. There is a little museum on the field. The owner was very kind to open it for me.
Several nicely restored airworthy aircrafts and murals all around the hangar. I wish I had more time...

Filled up with cheap gas and left. They don't have a cc machine it's on honor system btw.

Climbed to the stratosphere, stabilized and opened a book. The other book, sorry Chuck Hagerty, I am still on page 55 of the Inverted :D

At last!

I've been going through withdrawals waiting for more of Vlad's adventure! They give me much to look forward to for when I finally have a flyable RV! :D

Dry Swamp 1DS has a well manicured grass runway. It's moderately long with trees on both end. However if you can't land at 53VG don't go to Dry Swamp.

It looks like a nice day trip. Thanks for the 'advert'. I'll take this as a challenge :D

I was late with grass season this year but better later then never. A week ago on a quick weekend run down south I discovered this gem. Thanks to broken fuel pumps at Barnwell............

Climbed to the stratosphere, stabilized and opened a book. The other book, sorry Chuck Hagerty, I am still on page 55 of the Inverted :D

Hmmmm, career change in the works buddy?

[/QUOTE]

Still waiting...

No problem Vlad...I'm still waiting to meet you when you head south and "fly the hill" at W24. We'll see how that compares to all those grass strips when it comes to excitement:eek:

First Grass Landing

Pelican Rapids, MN - 47Y. Too bad the Antisplat nose job doesn't work on bugs!

eqwopl.jpg

1yo1ol.jpg

qrj2tz.jpg

ezo0ad.jpg

2wlr480.jpg

Methinks this a worth endeavor!

Here's my first two. I've landed on grass crosswind runways, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the thread.

These are both in Far Northwest Illinois and are both private, so I'll not name them here. (unless the owners claim them!)

The later is a bit tricky as it curves a bit and tapers as well so it kind of messes with your head. As well, you need to land past the driveway intersection when coming in from the east. Landed there once, and on another day the crosswind was so strong I opted for a different strip!

I'll keep my camera in the airplane for better photos of future strips. Had to grab these from satellite images.

rihlk7.jpg

2kg38j.jpg

curve

Jesse, A couple of more stops and you will think it is a "piece of cake". I missed this post because last Tue. I spent all day flying a Rans S-19 from Florida for a friend of mine. Landed on the curve @ 19:45. Was a fun trip.

00MN

Found a neat strip this weekend in Battle Lake, MN. There was a row of houses and lake cabins separating the grass strip from the lake. Wish i had a cabin there! Found some old run out birds, a champ and a stinson and ran in to a fellow who owned a hangar here. He had a 180 and a 182 and his sone has an RV-8, they were from near Portland, ND. Believe it or not he mentioned that a TBM is hangared here and a P-51 and some T-6's frequent the strip. I'll be back.
2vjpu7a.jpg

2nk4nt.jpg

2h8bnly.jpg

1zw1do9.jpg

jujx2t.jpg

52FA Bent Willie's

Sunday last, while I was tooling around the beautiful Florida sky, I decided to check out an airstrip owned by a friend.
Bill had graciously allowed me to camp there when I dragged my boat to do some crappie fishing at Lake Rosalie.

RV rocket owner Bill Whidden owns 52FA, Bent Willie's grass strip West of lake Rosalie east of Lakes Wales Airport.
(it's not on the charts but I punched it in to Foreflight and the app knew where I wanted to go)

However, I had never flown in. It's a terrific strip with commercial sod fields surrounding it on the North side.
Talk about a near perfect emergency landing area adjacent to the airport. However, I'd rather not "buy" 2000' of sod though :D

The Ridge Barnstormers RC club is permitted to use the field but with instructions to yield to full-scale landing aircraft.

The club maintains the field and "their" portion of the strip. They are a great bunch of guys and I thoroughly enjoyed visiting.
They put on quite an air show for me, complete with a turbo fan Messerschmitt Me-262 !!

After their show, the guys spent some time checking out my -6.
They were all thumbs up, even though I burn a little more gas than them ��.

Bill says I'm the first RV-6 to land there. He has had most models RV in to the airport but has never had a -6 or a RV-9a.

ATTENTION VLAD, you see this? Sounds like it's right up your alley (and definitely smoother than the first grass strip we met at. :D

34i4jy8.jpg

ifpvsk.jpg

Last edited:
Central County, Iola WI

Here's a cool all turf airport in Wisconsin I've been to twice now. The place has been around for a long time and all the locals know about it.

Every Friday they have a nice lunch event. I think the count was 42 airplanes this week! Great place! They've been doing this for many years, but it's new to me. :D Last week was oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies and lots of deserts.

http://centralcountyflyers.org/lmenu.html

23k7tlg.jpg

Great hanger/meeting room! "Built for the love of flying".

mj5tok.jpg

o79amt.jpg

A couple of characters, Ron and Jeff.

153o1w5.jpg

Ron grabbed this pic of me on the way out. Fun day!

30kayq1.jpg

friday @ iola

The weather was perfect! Was a really good time sitting in the sun enjoying a beer and a terrific lunch with a few RV pilots. If you are in range, get a group together and give it a shot. Was a great day flying. Ron

3S2 and ME08

Two more fun fields in Maine. Swan 3S2 in Dixfield. You may want to skip this one if you fly a faster RV it's a washboard :D

Gadabout Gaddis ME08 a must to visit. They say it's in Bingham but it's actually in Moscow. I will do a little trip write up later. :)

Don't mess with...

Two more fun fields in Maine. Swan 3S2 in Dixfield. You may want to skip this one if you fly a faster RV it's a washboard

Vlad,
I don't see you pointing that thing south of I-80 much. There actually are quite a few grass strips down South, in fact, they don't shoot at Yankees (or Russians) anymore, well not too often anyway! :)

Here's one I explored last week on an inspection belonging to a nice RV8 gentleman...

Nice strip near Red River OK/TX border (overflowing it's banks)

Shade tree mechanic!

Dosvedanya!
Smokey

Last edited:
jesse,
i am hangared at price county. when i checked weather last friday at 1030 for the iola lunch waupaca was still ifr, scratched it and washed the plane's belly instead.

First RV in Bermuda

Ever flown your RV to Bermuda? I did. You don't have to cross high seas there is an airpark in Pennsylvania 0N7 with the same name. The strip is not long but the grass is smooth and there is an uphill. Cool spot ultralight popular. Their terminal is always open there is a couch and a fridge :D

Ever flown your RV to Bermuda? I did. You don't have to cross high seas there is an airpark in Pennsylvania 0N7 with the same name. The strip is not long but the grass is smooth and there is an uphill. Cool spot ultralight popular. Their terminal is always open there is a couch and a fridge :D

Vlad, you should've hit Shreveport while you were at Bermudian Valley. It lies about a mile north. Nice long grass runway, bunkhouses, big swimming pool, and a banquet room. Easily identifiable by the Cessna 195 that resides along the runway.

Vlad, you should've hit Shreveport while you were at Bermudian Valley. It lies about a mile north. Nice long grass runway, bunkhouses, big swimming pool, and a banquet room. Easily identifiable by the Cessna 195 that resides along the runway.

I called and it was NOTAMed closed being too soft after long rains. I went to Shippensburg instead boy it was wrong move. Got stuck at a taxiway you should see amount of mud after I hit that afterburner :D

Good call Vlad. Last year a friend & I flew into Shreveport for the annual Fathers Day fly-in and with all the rain they received then, his wheel pants were like floats in the mud.

I74 Urbana OH, NY94 Old Rhinebeck and Mexico Farms 1W3

While on final in Urbana, OH I74 I sidestepped from paved rwy 20 to grass 19. Neat airport with a good cafe on the field.

I dreamed to visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome since 2011. Recently had this wonderful opportunity. The field is tricky especially for those with a training wheel.

Very impressive exhibition of World War One aircrafts. All flying.

WW1 tank.

A mock village. They "bomb" it.

Mexico Farms 1W3 near Cumberland, MD. 1W3 is so close to Cumberland Regional Airport it's not easy to spot a quarter mile away down there. Landed and was greeted by a two non pilots. I told them how easy it was to find this strip they pointed to a hill and said there is another airport. You can't see it from here but it's there. A big one. Non pilots for sure... :)

The Big One on top of the hill. Hard to see from a truck.

Donald, the owner, offered to mow the field for me if I come tomorow. Thanks Don!

Last edited:
Vlad,

Hey I'll be back down in wyoming September 20th through October 7th if you end up going through that way give me a call. Had a couple guys from Denver Colorado at my house in alaska for a couple of days cause of weather. You all about that don't ya. On difference was we had a 9'6 brown bear on our porch.

Vlad

Search for Chapin Field Aerodrome on Facebook. I posted a video there from Saturday at Old Rhinebeck.

Jim Sharkey

Found it Jim. :)

Vlad,

Hey I'll be back down in wyoming September 20th through October 7th if you end up going through that way give me a call. Had a couple guys from Denver Colorado at my house in alaska for a couple of days cause of weather. You all about that don't ya. On difference was we had a 9'6 brown bear on our porch.

No surprise on the bear visit it was checking on the bones Bruce. Couldn't make it to WY during your stay but seriously thinking of next year AK trip again. A bit different route though but with Cordova on the way :D

Three more

Schuylkill County KZER located on top of a hill in antracite region of PA. Nice grass perpendicular to a long concrete runway. Well maintained.

Cutler Regional Airport in Maine. ME2 has gravel surface in decent shape. Just don't taxi at high power you may catch a loose stone with your prop. RWY 27 has right pattern due to tall 26 antenna towers located next to the airport.

8G3 Giermek Executive in Olean, NY. This visit was unplanned. On route to Niagara Falls my passenger suddenly experienced a stomach ache. I punched the nearest and voila an executive airport is close. Spiraled down via a hole in the clouds and landed. Hmmm. No terminal only houses around. Kids are playing football... no washrooms... Taxied farther and checked the bushes.
A very unusual plants were growing there and zillions of bees were working honey dews. Natural deodorant. :D

Vlad, have you landed at Brokenstraw airport? It's a grass strip near Youngsville, PA. I am currently taking flight instruction out of there. There is gas, bathroom, and a pop machine available. I have seen through following your travels on this site that you also like taking dips in rivers and creeks. There is one there too. I can't believe you landed at Giermeks. I know the owners, Pete and Paul. My goal is to build a 9, 7, or 14 someday so if you are ever near Brokenstraw I would be happy to contribute some fuel for my first RV ride!!!

P15 on bucket list

Vlad, have you landed at Brokenstraw airport? It's a grass strip near Youngsville, PA. I am currently taking flight instruction out of there. There is gas, bathroom, and a pop machine available. I have seen through following your travels on this site that you also like taking dips in rivers and creeks. There is one there too. I can't believe you landed at Giermeks. I know the owners, Pete and Paul. My goal is to build a 9, 7, or 14 someday so if you are ever near Brokenstraw I would be happy to contribute some fuel for my first RV ride!!!

David you just gave me a destination and a mission! The weekend after next maybe? :D

Wow Vlad that would be awesome. Would you be willing to give me a ride? I was only able to sit in the RV's at oshkosh this year so a ride would be amazing. I know the warning about it being the most expensive ride of my life, but I'm willing to take that chance.

Wet grass clippings

A couple of weeks ago I decided to land on a grass strip for the first time in my RV3b and all went well even with my wheel covers being so close to the ground.
I was surprised how fast the grass slows down the aircraft. But the grass was wet with the morning dew and one section of it was freshly cut. So when I got back I took off the covers to see how much grass would collect inside, yep just like the snow it heaped up and stuck to everything inside the covers. I waited for it to dry and blew it all out with an air hose.
I think next time I will take off my covers before I land on grass. I was happy though that there was no damage to the covers,{wheel pants}...
Happy trails..:)

Wow Vlad that would be awesome. Would you be willing to give me a ride? I was only able to sit in the RV's at oshkosh this year so a ride would be amazing. I know the warning about it being the most expensive ride of my life, but I'm willing to take that chance.

What's your schedule on Sunday Nov 1st David?

... in the meantime several restricted airfields added.

Allenholm VT

and couple others :)

Vlad,
Available all day on Sunday the 1st!! Just let me know an arrival time and I'll be there!!!!
Thanks,
Dave

Vladimir,

You've been so close when you've hit Jims place. Put WV22 on your list and I'll see you'll receive some Mointanieer hospitalily. Hangar space and living quarters if needed, as well as a hangar//lot that is for sale as well. Maybe get you out of that Jersey bustle? :rolleyes:

P15 Brokenstraw

Vlad,
Available all day on Sunday the 1st!! Just let me know an arrival time and I'll be there!!!!
Thanks,
Dave

The Sunday came and I conquered Brokenstraw. It took a while to get there. Below 8K was moderate to severe turbulence and above 8K was 60 kts+ on the nose.

David and his wife Linda were waiting and waiting and waiting. From APRS tracker they were puzzled why I was flying so slow and changing altitudes so often. Here we come from over the ridge still very bumpy.

Look at that grass! CLE4!! :D

David and I went for a quick ride around the patch. He handled it great no wonder he soloed at 16.

We shot the bull for couple minutes and I left.

Thank you David and Linda for a great destination! I will be back sometime in May.

Pictures above courtesy of Linda.

Vlad, I see the corn field in that shot. Does not look like the ground I started with. I know your just funning me. I tried having fun with you a couple days ago but you were smarter than me and did not reply. I asked who your blond autopilot was going to be, i.e. "who's the guy?"

Vlad, I see the corn field in that shot. Does not look like the ground I started with. I know your just funning me. I tried having fun with you a couple days ago but you were smarter than me and did not reply. I asked who your blond autopilot was going to be, i.e. "who's the guy?"

Ron,
Everywhere I go if I see a well tendered wide and long grass field I tell them your story. Carving that JFK of grass out of a stony hill for 16 years.

Last edited:
It was awesome meeting you Vlad!!! Thank you so much for the ride. You are a great example of the RV community that I am hoping to be a member of.

2015 Grass Season is closed

23 new unique non paved strips were added in 2014. Not bad for a slow year. Totals 91 different grass/gravel/other surfaces

2015 was a good year. 36 new grass/other then paved runways were added to the list which now stands at 127 total.

Recently visited Lee Bottom, Indiana 64I

3M5 Moontown Alabama. Hi Mark :D

5R6 Ray, Alabama.

FA43 Dog Island, Florida. Will come to Bill's 52FA next year Gary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back