What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X two panel system Vs. three panel

Evolution10

As hard as we tried, it was impossible to get a three panel G3X system in my Aerosport Products Panel. We tried to place the Dynon EFIS-D10A and it too did not fit in well. Narrowing our list of important items, I felt having the remote A/P and second radio easy to reach more important. Behind the panel is a storm scope and active traffic (we found software glitches with the Garmin G3X and Garmin traffic box - Garmin is now addressing those issues). The placement of the actual boxes in the aircraft is very tough to do, as we did not want all the weight in the tail. What I can say is that all the hard work and months of waiting were worth it. I am excited to get my panel in the aircraft as soon as possible!

2wf63vp.jpg
[/IMG]

In the end it comes down to priorities. The larger screen on the certified GTN 750 radio won over an MDF and a smaller GTN 650. If we had not valued the benefit of the certified radio for IFR quite high, your scenario would be perfect. The one catch is that with an A/P, MDF, GTN 650, second radio, the complete stack might still not fit?

In the end it comes down to priorities. The larger screen on the certified GTN 750 radio won over an MDF and a smaller GTN 650. If we had not valued the benefit of the certified radio for IFR quite high, your scenario would be perfect. The one catch is that with an A/P, MDF, GTN 650, second radio, the complete stack might still not fit?

You could move lessor used items, such as a second radio down to the lower console panel.

Behind the panel is a storm scope and active traffic (we found software glitches with the Garmin G3X and Garmin traffic box - Garmin is now addressing those issues).

Hello Evolution10,

Nice panel!

The GTS800 issue which was identified has been fixed in V2.70 which was made available last Friday.

This is one of the many advantages of having an all Garmin system. When an integration issue arises such as this one between G3X Touch and the GTS800, the engineers from both teams got together in front of a test bench under one roof and fixed the issue in one day.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Great looking panel!

The second radio could have been remote mounted and controlled with the G3X, but it would have only been a com, not a nav/com.

In the lower panel reside the breakers. Vertical Power was considered, however, with my last experience with them (panel for Lancair Evolution) I opted to stay away. In this instance the panel was being made. Mid-stream VP gets sold and new company drops support for the VPX-400 completely. A complete new panel then was needed. It was a big mess, one I will never revisit! Circuit brakers are great!

Steve - thank you for the quick fix on compatibility issues. Your timelyness in solving the problems was stellar. Great Garmin support!

Back