What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cables through firewall

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am changing out my girlfriend's RV-6As throttle cables as the previous ones were unacceptable bowden type coming from a throttle quadrant and wrapping around the carb to have the correct movement. Very dubious.

I have removed the quadrant and putting in standard push-pull type controls from Vans. I have the old b bulkhead cable safe locks that were used on the other cables but they are too small, especially to fit around the threaded end that has to pass through the firewall.

What is the standard equipment to use for passing these through the firewall?

Thank you!
Wingnut

IMG-0722.jpg

Standard method is described in your construction manual and shown on Van's drawings. Uses plastic grommets surrounded by sealant. For added protection, some choose to install stainless shields over this installation. Others choose to go a different direction and use stainless eyeball pass-throughs available through ACS and elsewhere. I first tried those blue aluminum pass throughs shown in your photo above and didn't really like them, especially because you have to use the split versions to get them over the thick cables. Didn't seem very secure. Ended up going with Van's instructions with the added protection of the stainless shields.

Last edited:
I used the same eyeball passthrough as BillL posted. Someone posted a method using a steel bolt, center drilling it to the OD of the cable and using large washers and a nut as a method for "sealing" the passthrough area.

At the end of the project it really depends on your feelings about limiting the movement of fire from the engine compartment to the cabin. The Vans plastic grommets would quickly melt. But fire protection at the fire wall is a whole topic unto itself. Search this website for hundreds if not thousands of comments on that topic.

Battery in the way

I have the diagram for the routing of the cables but it calls to pass through right where the battery is. Her battery is mounted on the inside of the cabin centered against the firewall between the two sets of rudders. What do guys do for this?

Eyeball

One of the advantages of the eyeball pass through is "leading" the cable in a specific direction and help get around stuff.

29l05fq.jpg
[/IMG]

To answer your question directly you might check out Doug Jones aircraft there at Chandler. His battery is located between the pedals so you can see how they are routed.

Back