What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight(s) done!

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Successfully completed Flights #1 & #2 in N10JW today! I defined success as flying the plane and nothing leaking or falling off!

I did two shortish flights. This first was about 25 mins in the air doing about a 5 mile box around the airport. The second was a quick 15 minute flight around the pattern once. I did these as 'shake down flights' with my only concern being checking for leaks and validating the wings weren't going to fall off.

Really the only issue of concern was my oil temp. On the first flight as soon as it pushed over 220 I decided to land and it was 243 when I landed. After a hour of engine cool down the 2nd flight it rose to 220 fairly quick so that's why I only did one lap around the pattern. I talked to Barretts and they gave me some places to start troubleshooting. Hope to do another flight next week!

Photos needed........

I purposely didn't have anyone come out. I had two people offer to film it and one person offer to follow me in their 10. I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to do it until about 5 mins before I started the plane!

Outstanding!

Good luck sorting out the oil temperature issue and completing your 40 hours!

I purposely didn't have anyone come out. I had two people offer to film it and one person offer to follow me in their 10. I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to do it until about 5 mins before I started the plane!

I think this is very wise. There's enough pressure anyway; no need to add more because you know your friends are there and you don't want to disappoint them.

Coordination

First the AW cert on same day. And now first flight on same day. We have to meet up for a beer some day. Big CONGRATS.

Last edited:
Good luck sorting out the oil temperature issue and completing your 40 hours!

I could probably be the poster child of why to keep the build simple. Although whats the fun in that...

On my oil temps I worked on my baffle sealing and then did a long 2 hour+ flight with no issues. Even adjusted my damper and got the temps to adjust accordingly. So it must have been the seals.... nope.

On the next long flight, again 2 hours + about an hour and a half in the temps started rising again. I slowed down and circled the airport for about 15 mins, long enough to see the temps stabilize at 226 and long enough to get 5 hours on the engine.

Doing the 5 hour oil change I expected to see a cowl seal pushed in or a big hole or something. I found nothing. After the oil change I decided to stick my hand down the oil cooler scat tube to see if something was shoved in there. As I reached in I inadvertently was able to push the butterfly valve close. Meaning that force air was probably doing the same thing.

My fault though in the way I had the actuator arm clocked. Won't go into the details but it was an easy fix so I'm looking forward to future flights with no oil issues!

Congratulations! It must be a great feeling!

I am a bit farther behind but still chugging along. Can?t wait. Every first flight offers more encouragement to other builders.

Back