What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions about RV14A please

amerkarim

Hi All,

I am thinking about building a 14A and wanted some advice on things please. As I will be exporting the kit and building it abroad, I wanted to make sure I get everything I need while I can.

1. What size axle does the RV14A use ? I have some brand new grove brakes, wheels and tyres left over from a Kitfox 7 build. The axles are 1.25" and the brake hardware is Grove 65-211. The tyres are 6's at the back and a 5 at the front. I have no intention of fitting the wheel pants on the 14A as the strips I go into are sometimes very rough. I would like the larger 6 tyres on the back if possible. Would I be able to use these brakes and tyres on the RV14A in place of the stock stuff?

2. I would like to install dual P-mags and use the automotive plugs in the IO390. Is this something that Lycoming can do for me or should I order from e-mag and do the install myself with 2 of the gears. I presume I can then delete the standard Mags and harness from the order to Lycoming. Also, do I need the short or long reach adaptors for the automotive plugs?

3. I was planning on going quick build and I understand that the kit is very easy to understand and put together. I have just built an RV10, so I have all the tools and some idea about what I am doing. How much time will the QB save compared to the SB version? Is it worth the extra money?

3. Are there any recommended upgrades / aftermarket parts that I should change on the RV14A. I was going to get the ready to fit brake lines and FWF hoses from Aircraft Speciality and the uprated flap motor with built in position sensor from Pat. What else should I consider changing from stock?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Best

Amer

Thats great news, thanks

I have a stock RV10 throttle quadrant and the push pull cables left over from my RV10 build (I used the aero sports throttle quadrant instead) so I will use this up in the 14A

Also was going to fit the 13 row RV10 stock oil cooler into the 14A, as I put a bigger 17 row one in my RV10, for the extra cooling.

Might just ask for IO390 engine with no mags and do the install myself. Lycoming probably will charge a premium for the installation, compared to my time that is free.

:)

If you to with dual P-mags, look at installing an EICommander. The P-mags need to be adjusted for angle valve engines.

What kind of adjustments

If you to with dual P-mags, look at installing an EICommander. The P-mags need to be adjusted for angle valve engines.
Hi Bill - Is there a different set up procedure for P-Mags and the IO-390?

Back