What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homemade Close Quarters / Tight Fit Dimpling fixture

johnmichaelbayers

I'm New Here
Working on my -8 empenage I found I was unhappy with the results of the close quarter rivet puller style dimples. I also didn't want to pay almost 30 bucks (although they are very nice) and wait for shipping for a Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture from one of the usual suppliers.

This was my solution to the problem and I'm incredibly pleased with the resulting dimples.

393496_10100432298507242_12105201_51766517_481901026_n.jpg

379476_10100432298851552_12105201_51766520_380167074_n.jpg

Total cost for this tool (not including the dimple dies I already had) was about 50 cents and took about a half hour to make. Another plus is that you can change the dies for different sizes. If you want to make on yourself here's what I did.

1.5"x4"x3/16" scrap steel

Mark the center whole of one of your close quarter dimple dies (included in most basic RV kits) near on corner of the bar leaving about 1/8" on each edge. Center punch the mark. Drill a 1/8" (or whatever bit you have thats convenient) pilot hole. Using a 1/2" drill bit countersink a hole in the plate until the wall of the countersink is approx 1/16"-1/8" deep. Check dimple die fit in the countersink and countersink deeper as desired. Use a file or grinder to round the corner and edges. Debur/buff with scotch-brite wheel.

I'm sure other people have come up with similar methods but figured this might help some people avoid some downtime.

Enjoy and keep building!

I also didn't want to pay almost 30 bucks (although they are very nice) and wait for shipping for a Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture from one of the usual suppliers.

Don't be afraid to name us!

Cleaveland Aircraft Tool
Link to tight fit dimpling fixture:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DIE4263DF

The original idea came from just putting a countersink in a chunk of steel, but you lose the springback on the female dimple die. For those of you rolling your own, if you have access to a 1/2" endmill it makes an easy counterbore using John's method.

I think I'll go with the Cleaveland Tools version. If you have to destroy a dimple die to make a DIY version it doesn't seem to be much of a savings.

I managed without out it on my empennage, but it was a waste of my time. I ended up using my pop rivet dies and my no-hole squeezer to get into the small space. Sometimes its better to just buy the right tool for the job and move along.

I think I'll go with the Cleaveland Tools version. If you have to destroy a dimple die to make a DIY version it doesn't seem to be much of a savings.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you have to destroy a die to do this? It looks like John did, but I don't think you would have to. Just slide the tail of the die in the pilot hole, or enlarge it so it fits.

No damaged dies

I didn't damage any dimple dies at all with my method. I used the close quarters dies that you put a nail through and use with a rivet puller (I just didn't like the dimples you get that way). They sit perfectly in the plate I fabricated.

Or, as Chad said above, you could just drill a larger pilot hole and slide the tail through but you don't end up with as thin a tool that way.

Back