What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some basic logbook questions

tomkk

Well Known Member
I've read & listened to a number of good pieces about logbook entries, what contributes to good and not-so-good ones, etc. It seems like all the pieces are concerned with Annual/Condition inspections and maintenance after the the A/C is flying, not during the build process and I have some novice questions about that:

I have a set of the EAA Airframe, Engine & Reduction Drive and Prop logbooks. I guess my first question is when to start the logs and start logging activities.

My inclination is to start the airframe logging after the final inspection and continue on after that. Does that make sense or is there a better time?

It doesn't seem as if the prop log will have many entries in an A/C like the -12. Start the log with its serial number when it arrives and log the initial adjustments during installation and after?

What about the engine log? Start the log with its serial number when it arrives? I'm not sure exactly what's involved during installation. Is there some of that can/should be logged?

Now, concerning log content. I understand the importance of good log content, I'm just not sure how it appears in the log. I see examples of printed reports that can be fairly extensive - are they cut out and taped into the log? Kept in a separate binder referred to in the log? Don't use the "standard" logbooks at all, just use 3-ring binders? Something else?

Anyway, I haven't done this before and just looking for some advice to get the logs off to a good start.

I think you have the right ideas. Here is my opinion.

Airframe log: start after signoff by FAA guy, include ELT battery installation/expiration.

Engine log: Enter the accessories by serial number and initial oil brand/type/amount and filter p/n. This helps to remind you what to purchase in the future and future owners like to know what you used.

Propeller log: Start upon installation and include torque of bolts. If a subsequent torque check is required or done, log that too.

In my case the airframe log needed to be filled with the aircraft data and the first condition inspection entry. The DAR made an entry after that.
The aircraft needs to be complete and ready for flight to be inspected for issuance of the airworthiness certificate. That includes the logbooks and appropriate entries.
Of course, it also needed to be open so the DAR could inspect it, so it wasn't really 'ready for flight' until I put it back together.
What is interesting; is that I made the first condition inspection statement, for the issuance of airworthiness, but now I need a repairman's certificate to do any condition inspections going forward. I need to make an appointment and get that.

Back