What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated Pitot

RVdreamin

Guys....bounced it around and decided to go with a heated pitot. I think I am leaning Dynon, so is there a better pitot tube for this equipment? Just started research, but value you opinions.

Guys....bounced it around and decided to go with a heated pitot. I think I am leaning Dynon, so is there a better pitot tube for this equipment? Just started research, but value you opinions.

Do you already have, or are planning to get, an EFIS? If so then go with that manufacturers Heated Pitot. If you are not contemplating going to an EFIS, contemplate on it and then select the heated Pitot. That way when/if you do go to an EFIS you have a little less work to do.

My 2 cents.

:cool:

Galin....At this time I am planning to install an EFIS....I am looking at the DYNON system only because it is widely used. So I should plan on their heated pitot.

Thanks for you two cents....Everyday is an education for me :)

Galin....At this time I am planning to install an EFIS....I am looking at the DYNON system only because it is widely used. So I should plan on their heated pitot.

Personally, I would. IMHO It is better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.

BTW I am based just south of you at Flagler Beach.

:D

You don't need to decide now. You can just install a pitot mast, and pitots from all the manufacturers will fit in it. Just run lines and power wires (or just some conduit before you close up the wing.

I really wouldn't decide on an avionics manufacturer until the last possible moment, as everything changes so fast in that industry. The few avionics parts I bought early when I was working on the wings (pitot, AP servos, AOA system) are sitting on shelf waiting to be sold, as my avionics system choice changed as new products were released.

Last edited:
Ed thanks....So the mast is a standard fit. I did not know that....Tha tmeans I can defer the decision...I like that.

You owe it to yourself to find out all you can about EFIS choices. There are several fine systems, but it should be your choice, not just what you think others chose.

Defer the final decision as long as you possibly can. You won't regret it.

That goes for the EFIS too - I'm a fan of Dynon and have it in my plane, but the industry changes almost weekly as far as new tech coming out. Wait to decide on the panel as long as you possibly can, and then when it's time, pick one design and lock it in - resist the temptation to "upgrade" as they produce new things while you are finishing the rest of the plane, or you'll never get finished...

Heater

Pitot tube is fairly universal and will fit common masts like Gretz or Safeair but heater controllers are not as universal.
I decided on Dynon midway through the wings and installed nutplates for the heater. If and when I swap to a heated pitot, the heater controller should bolt right in. Famous last words.

That goes for the EFIS too - I'm a fan of Dynon and have it in my plane, but the industry changes almost weekly as far as new tech coming out. Wait to decide on the panel as long as you possibly can, and then when it's time, pick one design and lock it in - resist the temptation to "upgrade" as they produce new things while you are finishing the rest of the plane, or you'll never get finished...

Exactly. I would add "defer ALL ELECTRONIC based, purchases until the absolute last second. EFIS, Magnetos, Avionics, EMS, ADS-B etc.

Back