What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scary Med1cal...

bret

Well Known Member
Just got back from my apt, and I never realized how important it is to pass this silly thing......sitting there and she says there is a problem....my heart stops for a second, I had back surggery one year ago, (spelling wrong on purpose, gogle thing) I brought in all the papers, MRI surggical report, release to full duty ect. Then she goes on how she has to refer me and I will have to go back to the surggen bla bla bla. Then she says, Hu, let me call Oklahoma about this, on the phone for two days, I mean 15 min, comes back in and has me do more test, and says today is your lucky day....Whew! that was close.

Try not saying anything to them which could wreck your ability to fly. :mad:

My sleep doctor couldn't find anything in his books about "FAA" so he used the truck driver standards. Fortunately, otherwise he is a very good doctor.

I hope this isn't a showstopper for you. Lots of people have irregular heart rhythms.

However, never go for an FAA medical or put a mark on that FAA 8500-8 form unless you know in advance that you don't have a disqualifying condition. If you suspect you have something wrong, talk to your GP first--off the record if he'll accommodate that.

Also, ask around before you select your next FAA medical examiner. Try to find one that's a pilot. Go across the state if you have to. There are all kinds. I've had guys who were as picky and others who barely looked at me. Most of us know when we are safe to fly and the others don't care and fly anyway. ;)

Disqualifying conditions:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had neck surgery on 12/21/11 and just passed my 1st class medical this morning! Wooo, hoo. Back to work. And back to flying my little airplane, too.

Everything I did with regard to the surgery was well-planned to get me back to work ASAP. I FedEx'd all the pertinent documents to my AME about 10 days prior to my exam. He made sure he had enough documentation to issue my medical on the spot and that's exactly what he did this morning.

I'd strongly suggest that anyone with an out-of-the-ordinary situation seek out an AME who's familiar with special issuance and special situation medicals. I know of many docs who turn a mole hill into a mountain for no other reason than they're unfamiliar with the FAA rules and procedures.

Just my humble opinion.

Medical Mystery Tour

So what is the story with sleeping? are you sleep flying?

My old FAA medical examiner just wanted a statement from my previous sleep doctor that I didn't suffer from daytime somnolence. The FAA considers a pilot falling asleep while flying to be "bad". My last adventure with a new sleep doctor was a "Maintenance of Wakefulness Test" in which I had to sit quietly in a darkened room, without moving, for 40 minutes without falling asleep. Four times in an eight hour period.

I HAVE had more fun.

You never know what will bite you. I started a mild blood pressure drug over a year ago (for a kidney issue, not blood pressure) & sweated dealing with that. It was no problem.

But.

I was also started on about 50% of the normal dose for my weight of Synthroid, used for hypothyroidism. Never gave that any thought. Guess what: Instant Disqualifier; must be referred, and cannot be issued by the doc on the spot. Fortunately I paid an unofficial visit to the AME prior to the actual exam, & we were able to get it set up so that he could make a call to the regional office & get verbal approval.

I got my medical, but was told to expect a letter of 'denial/but we'll let you fly anyway' sometime in the next month or two.

It's truly bizarre (according to real, actual doctors) what the FAA considers disqualifying.

Charlie

My last adventure with a new sleep doctor was a "Maintenance of Wakefulness Test" in which I had to sit quietly in a darkened room, without moving, for 40 minutes without falling asleep. Four times in an eight hour period.
Well, at least they had you simulate something remotely similar to flying. :confused:

I dutifully reported a single irregular heartbeat event that scared me into going to a hospital. They kept me overnight for observation, but the condition went away on its own. Though I was cleared by a cardiologist after passing a full battery of cardio tests with flying colors, I was diagnosed with having suffered an episode of lone atrial fibrillation most likely caused by caffeine and dehydration. The FAA promptly sentenced me to 5 consecutive years of $500 medicals. The government has never moved so fast for me as when they slapped me with a Special Issuance medical.

Almost worse than the $500 bill every year, I kept having to explain to the cardiologist why I had to come back for a 24-hr halter monitor and EKG every year when he had said there was nothing wrong with my heart. I felt like a dang hypochondriac taking up the doc's time when he could have been treating real heart patients. :mad:

Be careful

An AME addressed medical issues and also disclosure at our National Ag Aviation convention last December.

He warned us to be careful about what you omit on your application, because with the World-wide-web and easy access to our medical information, you'd be worse off omitting an important event. A good example was my MRI scan and subsequent P.T. sessions to relieve sciatica problems in my leg. I could just be quiet about this but it's not a threat to my passing my medical. Omitting it could trigger a red flag and cost me many more appointments with the FAA and I'd rather not go there.

Best,

Back