What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert a -9 to -9A?

I did it during construction. It wasn't much of a problem. I did not take the hardware for the tail wheel out. You have the perfect chance to change to the new front wheel mount. Like Larry said, probably $5k but you can make up some of it by selling your old mount and gear to someone building a tw.

"Then one can land tail low and keep the weight off the nose!
Its like a RV9A diaper. "

Yep, could do that, but envision if the 9A was held in a 3 point TD attitude in roll out for a bit too long, elevator looses effectiveness & the nose comes down with a thump... everyone knows what happens after that.

Buy a 9A

Any idea what it would take and $$ to convert a 9 to a 9A?
Barry Wallace
Wannabe -9A Owner
'65 A-23 Musketeer (sold)
'41 PT-17 Stearman (sold)
A Happy Contributor
Looking at your signature, you're shopping for a 9A, but probably found a great deal on a 9? If this is the case, you might consider just continuing to look for a 9A. Assuming you want to fly, and not become a 2nd builder. If you are looking for a project, that would be a fun one!

Any idea what it would take and $$ to convert a 9 to a 9A?

Barry Wallace
Wannabe -9A Owner
'65 A-23 Musketeer (sold)
'41 PT-17 Stearman (sold)
A Happy Contributor
[/QUOTE]

Barry, since you already know how to fly a taildragger, why not keep it as a -9?

I can assure that the -9 taildragger is the easiest taildragger you will ever fly, much easier than a Stearman!

With the right timing, one might find the right opportunity for a full parts swap. Just sayin'.

Back