What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stella Maris & Staniel Cay, Bahamas

andyrv

Well Known Member
This picture says it all. Just wanted to thank Rosie, Scott Schmidt, David Maib and others for all of the information in the forums. Been wanting to make this trip for a long time but waited until the airplane was painted. My wife had about 6 hours in the RV over 4 years before this trip. Now she has 10 and 4 of them are over water. She loved it!

Beach_zpsef9dbc70.jpg

Gotta love the views!
BahamasAir_zpsecd0f711.jpg

The SPOT track. Not trying to waste fuel and really wanted to fly the Gulf Beaches. You might recognize the patterns through the Southeast as the same shape as 2 low pressure systems 9 days apart.
Bahamas2014_zpsf744d633.jpg

Banyan's treated us great!
Banyan_zps7667ac9e.jpg

Andy

I believe we have had a picnic and some snorkeling at that very same beach. Nice to hear you had such a good trip. Now this makes me realize I have not planned our annual Bahamas trip yet. Time to get busy!

Sweet

This picture says it all.

Beach_zpsef9dbc70.jpg

That is awesome you found that beach. Isn't that the most incredible spot?
I was showing my daughter your pictures and she said, "Dad, I want to go back to the Bahamas again."

Glad you had a great time.

Where is the exact location of that beach, or is it a secret among those that have finished their RV?:D

~J~

The bahamas look nice and all, but do ya have any more pictures of that beautiful plane? I keep a collection of all the paint schemes I like to help plan my own someday...

Chris

The island

The island in the picture is a small island near Staniel Cay Yacht Club. You can catch a flight from from Ft. Lauderdale or Nassau until the RV is finished. I've been on vacation a few times in the USVI and BVI but boats always have to be chartered or you have to be on a crowded tourist trip. I would rather just rent a boat and explore.

At Staniel you get a small boat for the day and just explore the small islands on your own. My wife and I spent an entire day on that small island without seeing another person and that includes the other island in the picture.

I think that is the rule around there. If someone is on the beach or island then drive 10 minutes and find another one!

Thanks for the comments on the paint Chris. We did the same thing as you are doing with pictures from the web and from Oshkosh. My wife took several pictures we liked over to Grady at GLO Custom at 52F and Grady did the rest.

Scott's link above is a great write up of the islands but feel free to PM or email if you have specific questions. Can't wait to go back. I forgot to mention that cell coverage is sporadic and expensive and the internet access is satellite based so you are forced to relax and enjoy the islands.

Andy

Thanks so much for the kind words Andy!!!!! The Caribbean is truly spectacular, and that's why I plan to fly our RV-6A there every-other-year till the FAA says no-more :) Caribbean Rosie, 2015

Rosie,

Are you aware of any plans to curtail flights by experimental aircraft outside the country, or are you just predicting an eventual reduction in our freedom over time?

Scott - I opened the link. I commit to March 2017.

Antony

Thanks so much for the kind words Andy!!!!! The Caribbean is truly spectacular, and that's why I plan to fly our RV-6A there every-other-year till the FAA says no-more :) Caribbean Rosie, 2015

Rosie,

Are you aware of any plans to curtail flights by experimental aircraft outside the country, or are you just predicting an eventual reduction in our freedom over time?

Scott - I opened the link. I commit to March 2017.

Antony

I think Rosie was just thinking about that far-away day when he can't fly any more.

Back