What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hello from the start of Section 6!

mikeyj350

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Mike J. here, first post on this site. It's been a lifelong dream to build my own airplane, and I must say I settled on an RV-10 largely due to VAF! It's amazing to me how much information is available on here, seeming to cover every step of the build process. I guess I just want to start by saying thanks for having such an awesome site. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute my own stories and acquired knowledge as the build goes on.

My girlfriend Sarah and I have now officially joined the ranks of RV-10 builders yesterday, after our empennage kit arrived on Friday afternoon. We're about 11 hours into the build now and have something that resembles an airplane part!

We're going to do our best to chronicle the build process here:
http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/

Feel free to check the site out and let me know what you think! There are a few pages on there that I'm still working on cleaning up and finishing, but the general structure is there and photos from yesterday's build are in place.

Look forward to chatting with you all throughout the process! Take care for now, gotta get back to the shop!!! -Mike

Great to have you on the VAF.
I started to build a RV-10 and finished the tail section and then I sold it. I built the Rv-7 and it is flying now.

I wanted to say how great the plans are designed for the 10. You begin with the first page and when you finish the last page you are done. One page at a time straight through. I loved the plans.

Not so with the Rv-7. These plans are not in the same format as the 10.
That is because Van's learned how to write directions as time progressed.
I think I found one mistake in the plans, but I do not remember where, only minor goof.
Have a good time building, the finished product with be met with a great reward.:)
Dave

Thanks!

Thanks guys so much for the warm welcome. It feels indescribably good to be aboard Mike... can't wait to launch off the deck in a few years! ;)

Yes both Sarah and I have both been perusing Brian and Brandi's site for some time now, and we are proud to call them an inspiration, and we'll do our best to follow in their footsteps. Hopefully we'll run into one another at OSH '14 or some other fly-in, it would be great to say hello! (same goes for all here on the site!)

It's so great to hear from so many happy RV owners, both words of encouragement and further confidence in their products. This may sound crazy having already bought a kit and being in the process of building one, but I've actually never experienced the "RV grin" yet... that will change soon though, as I do know someone with a flying -10 and will be going up with him hopefully within the next month or so!

I'm taking a day off from building tonight, but will be back at it tomorrow :) Thanks again everyone, keep in touch! -Mike

Back