What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 500 hours 3-21-2013

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
P1010538_zps5ae4e9ea.jpg

P1010532_zpsbbe99bd4.jpg

Still have snow on the ground. Smooth above 6000'. About 25 degrees F on surface when landing.

Last edited:
Hey John - -

Mostly normal misc. stuff, except for IGN modules. Both failed between 400, and now 500 hours. Hope that is just me, but should be aware anyway. I use only auto fuel. Have not gotten tired of flying it, OBVIOUSLY. Just overall a great plane.

Hey Dave - -

initially, I was flying, and could hear the engine change RPM's very slightly. Next landing, when I turned off 1 mag, the engine stopped. Not sure how smart it was, but I flew it home. Other one failed at home airport before take-off. Found while doing mag-check. I have been reluctant to mention this because of the very negative thoughts it might bring up, but that may have been wrong also.

IF I SAY NOTHING ELSE - DO NOT BUY ONE NEW MODULE. ROTAX HAS A 'SPECIAL' PROGRAM WHERE YOU CAN BUY A PAIR with soft-start, FOR LESS THAN (1) NEW USED TO COST. Says a lot to me, but anyway, don't buy 1 new one. YOU MAY HAVE TO ASK FOR THE SPECIAL PRICING !

I would also add, likely later engines with Soft-Start built in, will not have this problem.

John, you are just a flyin' fool! Sorry about the ignition modules, but glad you are still having fun!

So John, those are a lot of taxi hours. When you gonna actually take off and fly? :p

;)

Last edited:
Hey Larry - -

photo-shopping is great. Didn't think anyone would notice. Someday for sure ! You flying below 100 feet shoud not count either !

Congratulations, John, on achieving that milestone - and thanks to you for all of your 'pioneering' on the RV-12. Greatly appreciated by we 'followers'.

Back