What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5th annual ice cream social, Inyokern CA (IYK)

AX-O

Well Known Member
Well it is that time of the year again. I turn one year older in March. The 5th annual ice cream social will be held at Inyokern, CA airport on March 9th from 1100-1400. It will be held in the area next to the airport office. The red circle on the picture below indicates the area.

iyk.JPG

The ice cream social is just an excuse to get together, eat some free ice cream and fly.

If you would like to attend, please email me at axel_alvarez "at" hotmail "dot" com Use "Ice cream social" on the subject line of the email for spam filter reasons. If not, it will end up in the "trash/recycling bin" and I won't know you are coming. The head count will be used to figure out how much supplies my wife and I need to buy. All I need is your name and the number of people attending by March 6th.

Some things to remember if you are not familiar with airport perations.
-Aircraft are the greatest invention of mankind however, they can also be dangerous. Treat every aircraft as if it were "ON". An encounter with a turning prop or intake can yield very bad injuries.
-Do not touch an aircraft unless you have the permission of the owner/pilot.
-You are responsible for yourself, kids, family, etc. NO EXEPTIONS! You are there at your own risk, be vigilant around the flight line.
-Please leave your pets at home. No need to have your dog, cat, lizard, liger, etc. around each other, food or aircraft. If you MUST bring your pet, please have it on a leash (especially if it is a liger).
-Please make sure you dispose of your trash. If you don't, it could potentially do damage to aircraft engines/props.

If the weather is bad, I will reschedule the event. Most likely it will be March 23rd.

Hope to see you and your family there. The only thing better than ice cream is free ice cream.

Axel and Alisha

Additional info.

-The airport's web site is http://inyokernairport.com/
-Our preferred runway is 33.
-Runway 20 is the only runway with non-standard traffic (right pattern).
-Click 3 times on 122.8 for AWOS info.
-R-2506 is closed on the weekends. During the week contact Joshua on 133.65 for clearance.
-When you are in the pattern, stay West of Highway 395 and out of the red are shown on the map below. The red area is the Naval Military Base.

Loc%201.JPG

If you are coming from the West you can the red route. If you are coming form the North/East, you can use the blue route.
IYK%2520route.JPG

Hope to be there again this year with several of us from Reno, wind and weather permitting! We'll probably just come down the west side of R-2505. Free Ice Cream - may you live forever and keep having birthdays!

Greg

All,
If you are planning on attending the ice cream social (and have not emailed me yet), please let me know by tonight. My wife and I need to purchase the supplies tomorrow. Thanks! and hope to see you soon.

Very good news. Gas will be the same price as the airport paid when they bought it. It will be $4.94/gal. They are not making a profit at all. Come with empty tanks.

So how's the Wx looking for you guys Axel? I might still be snowed in up here....but for now, the backside Hwy 18 is open, in which case, I might have to arrive by 4x4... Hoping I can fly!

Paul

All,
We will still host the event tomorrow. The weather just cleared up. The storm dumped a lot of snow over the mountains. It looks spectacular! The forecast is predicting clear skies with winds increasing (15kts) during the day and dying down around sunset. If you are concerned about the winds, we have 3 runways so a cross wind component should be small. See you tomorrow. If you decide not to show up due to the winds or weather in your area, then see you next year.

Axel and Alisha

All,
The ice cream social went very well. We consumed 5 gallons of ice cream, 2 bottles of chocolate syrup, 1 of caramel, 2 cans of cherries, 3 bags of M&M, 2 bags of Reese?s pieces, a container of peanuts, four 2-liter root beer bottles and 2 cases of water. We estimate about 150 people and 25 airplanes.

I would like to thank everyone that came and spent their time with us. My apologies for not being able to speak with everyone for a significant amount of time. I feel really bad about it. I was extremely busy. Hope we can continue to entertain the group for many more years. I was so busy that I only took a few pictures with my phone. If you have a few nice pictures, my wife and I would love to see them.

This event would have not been possible without every one of you but most importantly not possible without my wife. She busted her back side to have this nice event. I am a very lucky guy to have such an awesome wife and great friends. If you would like to thank her, her email address is

Lasotagirl ?at? hotmail ?dot? com

Also, the airport manager helped out tremendously with the fuel prices.

Thank you again and see you next year.

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

My wife taking a nap after the weekend was over.
IMG_1042.JPG

Thanks!!

Axel, thanks for the great time, appreciated it.

And, you are very wise to give your wife the credit she is due, she put on a great spread.

Will upload a few photos later.

See you next year.

O K, the last post was just a teaser:D

Here are some shots of the event.

004.JPG

005.JPG

There has to be an interesting story to the jet in the photo, Axel tell us about it.

006.JPG

007.JPG

Still more when I download Laura's photos.

The trip down was the morning after a couple days of rain, so the central valley was pretty cloudy.

Ice%2520cream%2520trip%2520002.JPG

Look close towards the center of the photo, see anything familiar?

How about a closer shot?

Ice%2520cream%2520trip%2520009.JPG

Little farther, better view up the canyon.

Ice%2520cream%2520trip%2520014.JPG

These were taken at 7500', and the cloud tops were not too far below us. As we went farther south, the clouds intruded into our altitude, and we had to climb to 9500. And the clouds changed from scattered to broken to full covered layer------I decided to move off course to be over the valley floor just in case there was any problems, better to be over something repetitively flat, than over the foothills. Here is a shot of the AvMap showing our direct course (red line to the left) and where we chose to fly over, in the center of the screen.

Ice%2520cream%2520trip%2520020.JPG

All in all, a great trip and a fun time. T'was a bit windy though, Ax can you please order some better weather for nest year??;)

Ice Cream Social

Alishia and Axel
Very good fly in Diane and I had a great time hope to see you both soon. Thanks again and there is no better way to spend a day than free Ice Cream and cheap gas. Nordo

Ice Cream Social

Thanks Alisha and Axel -

I had a great time, met some very nice folks and Rosie and the guys put on a good show. Ice Cream for lunch. Good times.

Another hearty thank you to Axel and Alisha for their amazing hospitality. It was very nice to have met you and I hope we’ll cross paths often…maybe at Agua Dulce next Saturday?
Also thanks to Scott “Debris” Farner and Pascal Reid for allowing me to tag along, RV-7A out, RV-10 back. Maybe next year I’ll have the -12 done and can pay it forward.
Some photos. Better late than never, right?

Dave "Hog" Klages and Pascal Reid
DSCN0775-1.jpg

Jack Gehrich and Pascal
DSCN0777.jpg

Scott "Debris" Farner
DSCN0780.jpg

Scott "Debris" Farner
DSCN0785.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Pascal
DSCN0814.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John,
Insert your first picture, put the cursor at the lower right corner of the pic and hit the enter key once or twice. Rinse and repeat. This will leave a couple of lines of space between each pic.

Nice pix BTW! Love the yellow and white 8...

John,
Insert your first picture, put the cursor at the lower right corner of the pic and hit the enter key once or twice. Rinse and repeat. This will leave a couple of lines of space between each pic.

Nice pix BTW! Love the yellow and white 8...

Thanks. My big error was in thinking the captions I tagged to each pic in the Photobucket album would travel with the link...wrong-o. Next time I'll do it manually.
Ditto on the yellow/white RV-8. It looked so spiffy sitting there in front of that weatherworn hangar. Apologies to all that I wasn't able to get all the owners' names. Had to leave fairly early.

John, Thanks for the great shot of my '8' in front of the hangar at KIYK. Here are a few very low rez shots from the ride home:

IMG_0035_zps5c6cc0f7.jpg

Captain Lee enjoying the view

IMG_0049_zps72d4d9e7.jpg

High desert snow

IMG_0067_zps7613e702.jpg

Back to the ocean!

IMG_0076_zps2830f9d4.jpg

KSBA

Many thanks to Axel and Alisha for the time and effort gatherings like this require. It was great!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back