What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wife's first camping trip! (Part 1)

Omega232Devils

Well Known Member
I don?t know if I can write a trip up to Vlad?s standards, but here goes:

This weekend I planned to take the wife camping for the first time ever in her life. And like any good RV pilot, I said ?why don?t we fly and camp!? It always amazes me how we can work flying into just about any plan.

So the plan was to take off out of Providence, RI (KPVD) and head over to Salmon River Fly-In to meet up with Turbo and some of his ?rotor? friends, but after a late start we decided to just press up to Newport, NH to Parlin Field (2B3). It is such different flying on the east coast.

Where did all this green come from? Haha
IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

Here we are on final to Parlin Field
IMG_1619.jpg

On the ramp: (She managed to find the first evidence of fall colors!)
IMG_1621.jpg

They have loaner bikes so we scoped out the grass runway
IMG_20120915_150507.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Checked out the covered bridge at the approach end
IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_20120915_151342.jpg

Sugar River:
IMG_1627.jpg

Stand by for Part 2!

Wife's first camping trip! (Part 2)

Took the small trail that runs next to the Sugar River
IMG_1628.jpg

Rode into the small 'downtown' area:
IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Came back and taxied over to the grass strip and set up camp!
IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_20120915_174344.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

Over to the Lil’ Red Baron restaurant on the field. I tried explaining that ‘Margaritas’ were not part of ‘normal’ camping!
IMG_20120915_184027.jpg

Woke up the next morning to haze covered field.
IMG_1648.jpg

Took off southbound stopping in Fitsburg, MA (KFIT) for breakfast. Great food at great prices!
IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

All in all it was a quick, but fun camping trip with a couple hours of good flying in!

Camping training in preparation for Oshkosh! - CHECK

Last edited:
Love it Dan! The morning picture beats the foodie smile! :D

PS is that wingless RV still on the field?

Great Photo

Great write-up. The photo of the morning haze is terrific and would be next months calendar if it only had an RV in it. Photoshop yours in and I'll bet DR makes it October's calendar....:D

Great first camping trip Dan!

We love peaceful, cool, green, quiet places like that. Good story and pics.

I took my wife on our first ever camping trip...to Osh this year. It was a miserable 80-100F for five days in a pasture field. Almost our last, until we went to Triple Tree, SC in early Sep. Now going on our third in a couple of weeks in TN.

Wow for a minute I thought those pictures were from out West! Great write up! I am so envious of you guys who have wife's that fly with you - mine is deathly afraid of all airplane (even airliners). Not sure how we got together based on th e fact that I make my living with airplanes and flying.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys

Yeah it was a fun trip. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture when I first woke up. The haze had completely covered the grass strip. This photo was about an hour later. Lesson learned.

Dave, I have the 1P1 fly in on my calendar. We are heading south for a Navy football game, but if things change, we will be there.

Wayne, we will see you at the RV Nation in DeerField, TN.

Dan

dan, your camp site area is one of my favorite spots in NE. shows that a good camera makes for easy trip write ups. whays next?

my second favorite place is 1P1. anyone lookn for food and flying on saturday head up to plymouth NH for some chili at noon.

Thanks for sharing! I'm new to the sport, so I wanted to ask how did you find fly-in locations to camp and is that close to civilization? I want to break my wife in slowly to these two activities, but don't want to shock her with total isolation the 1st time out. Really enjoyed the pictures!:)

My wife LOVES to fly, has even soloed a C-152, but hates camping, unless it's in a hi $$$ hotel... Any advice from you campers???

BTW, I am learning to really dislike those windmills blotting our countryside, especially here in the west. Remember that pristine Columbia Gorge we used to have? E. end of the Gorge is dotted with them...

YMMV...

AWESOME!!!

Dan,

Great writup....great trip....great pics....great flying wx....and it looked like great food!!!:D Man I am jealous!

Hey there is nothing like Jaffrey, NH in the fall! Grew up in southern MA (born in Woonsocket...eh) and learned to fly out of Hopedale-Draper (1B6). Gotta love New England flying:D:D:D

Thanks for sharing!

YOL BOLSON!!!

Kjowen

Start out with good camping weather(now). Day temps < 85F and nights > 40F. No rain is best, but we got rained on at Osh and Triple Tree. Pack light(we can help with that, just pm or start another thread). Stay one night the first trip(we stayed five...not good). If we have portapotties, showers, food and water we are good for more days. If there is nothing then we will keep it two nights or less. Plan simple meals and bring plenty of water. Go with another plane in case of emergency.

A bunch of us are going to TN44 Deerfield Resort Sat Oct 6th & Sun 7th...not too far North of you. It will be a good first trip. We will be pitching a tent near the plane. Come on up.

I would love to do some skydiving. I'll ask my husband if his available for a trip. I don't want to miss this summer experience! Summer is nearly over, and the cold is slowly beginning to make its way back into our lives. Fortunately, you still have a few more weekends left for camping. You need to head out and make a trip before it is too cold to do so.

Back