What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Little Maintenance Issue....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
So we have this bolt that jams up going into a long threaded tube – it’s not like a regular nut that just has a few threads to go through – more like a Van’s wing tie-down receptacle. The bolt goes in about 4 turns, then binds up – torque gets higher than allowed.

Rather than damage anything further, we backed it all out and waited a few days to think about it (always good practice) and fabricate a few tools. The first tool was a tiny wire gun-barrel brush – we put this in a power driver and SLOWLY ran it into the female threads, then back out. This generated a bunch of small metal debris. Did this a couple of times until it came out without any more FOD. We then blew out the hole using a littel nozzle. Next came a cut-down toothbrush with lube on it to get lubricant deep into the threads. We followed that up with a bolt (not the one we were going to use in final assembly – it was a sacrificial bolt) to test the (hopefully) now cleaned threads. This was carefully driven in with a “T” Handle and a ratchet wrench when it got harder. Frankly, this was a bit of a “re-tapping” exercise. It got just a little tight at the same place as before, then smoothed out – I think we found the damaged thread area! Since the fastener isn’t going to really see a lot of load in use, having a slightly damaged interface probably isn’t a serious issue – so long as we could get it tightened down.

Sounded like it could very well have been done in your own workshop, doesn’t it? Oh, did I mention that this was all done today in low earth orbit, outside, on the International Space Station by two astronauts? Doing this on an EVA has been described as trying to “fix your roof at night while wearing diapers, ski clothes, and SCUBA gear over your pajamas”. Or installing -3 rivets while wearing oven mitts. But truthfully, it’s just routine troubleshooting of hardware…isn’t it?

Hopefully, this will make you feel proud the next time you screw up a hole on your very expensive Lycoming. Might not make you feel any better of course…but at least you’ll know that you have distinguished company! Even in space, it is not always “Rocket Science”, and we can get by with something less than “perfect”. As long as your fix is “good enough”, well…that should be good enough….

Paul

Last edited:
Too bad a tap was not available to clean the threads out. That is what I would have used in my hangar.

Let me guess...

Was it aluminum-aluminum galling due to not using anti-sieze compound? How about trying to install a 120*C bolt in sunlight into a shaded hole at -100*C?? Sorry to speculate. If only they had checked the weather.:D

Time to ship a tap/die set up there now.

What kind of lubricant do they use? I'd assume the usual terrestrial stuff wouldn't work exo-atmospheric.

Surely Boelube of course?
I spent a good chunk of my day watching these intricacies and was completely enthralled with every quarter turn as any good mechanic/engineer would be.

Emergency tools

A guy can make a nice thread chaser by cutting (hacksaw) or filing a longitudinal groove on the threads of a bolt (grade 8 preferably).

The nice thing about a thread chaser is that it won't cut new threads at the wrong angle. The bad thing about a thread chaser is that it won't cut new threads... :D

Paul,

I found the problem. Space is cold and the astrodude kept the bolt in his pocket where thermal expansion took place and caused binding when inserted. That is my theory and I am sticking to it!

Maybe we can get in touch with the guy who flew his 7(I think it was a 7) up about that high to bring them a tap set. It could work!

Yeah...you'd think! We have a tool kit onboard that is essentially the Snap-On demo catalog...but no taps!!

American Boxes on American Truss....American astronauts!!

Uh... I thought one was Japanese (Akihido Hoshidi)?

Yea, yea, I know. They were trained in the US and were in EMUs. Ok... whatever. (just reverting to my prior life) :rolleyes:

Karl

Uh... I thought one was Japanese (Akihido Hoshidi)?

Yea, yea, I know. They were trained in the US and were in EMUs. Ok... whatever. (just reverting to my prior life) :rolleyes:

Karl

Great to see you still lurking Karl!

Aki!? he's been around Houston so long that he's just one of the gang....:p

Pictures of the tools

684070main_exp32_090512b_large.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/living/index.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...saved-the-international-space-station/262035/

see, there is the problem. you rocket scientists didn't spend enough time watching cartoons. NEVER by anything from ACME wiley coyote proved there quality is not up to standards. :D

bob burns
N82RB

Back