What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight this AM--7A

jdiehl

Well Known Member
Well, after 8 years of thinking about and/or working on this project every day, it made it's first flight this morning. Morning temperature in northcentral Pa. was 60 degrees with calm winds. With the help of my son (now 19) that assisted in every step of construction, we gave it a final check before I climbed in and made the first flight. CHT showed 400 F in climb but settled down to 375 for the remaining 30 minutes. Oil temp hung at 170F. Indicated airspeed @2400 rpm was 145 knots.
No squawks to report. Thank you to Jan Bussell for preparing me for this flight. Oh yea, the landing was a real greaser!

Jim Diehl N891DD
Lock Haven, Pa.

Re:first flight

Jim,
Congrats on the first flight. I also made my first one today as well. And what a coincidence used Jan Bussell as well. I could hear him saying "Don't let it land, Don't let it land" Tim

Congrats

Congratulations to both of you! But Tim, now you have to delete the last line of your signature :D

Well, after 8 years of thinking about and/or working on this project every day, it made it's first flight this morning. Morning temperature in northcentral Pa. was 60 degrees with calm winds. With the help of my son (now 19) that assisted in every step of construction, we gave it a final check before I climbed in and made the first flight. CHT showed 400 F in climb but settled down to 375 for the remaining 30 minutes. Oil temp hung at 170F. Indicated airspeed @2400 rpm was 145 knots.
No squawks to report. Thank you to Jan Bussell for preparing me for this flight. Oh yea, the landing was a real greaser!

Jim Diehl N891DD
Lock Haven, Pa.

Jim that's good news! Congratulations! Do you plan to fly tomorrow? Say around noon? ;) :D

first flight

Jim that's good news! Congratulations! Do you plan to fly tomorrow? Say around noon? ;) :D

Unfortunately, have to head off to work tomorrow. Would love to meet-up after I get out of Phase 1. You're spontaneous get-aways are a real inspiration to me and I hope I can follow in your footsteps soon.

jim

Unfortunately, have to head off to work tomorrow.

jim

Actually it's fortunately you head off to work Jim. Work is what feeds us and our expensive hobby. Don't rush with Phase One test it good. Cousin and I are planning to check Cloud9 tomorrow on our way North. I like Lycoming Country, last time visited the factory Oct 2008 to pick up my brand new motor. Enjoy the bird and report more often! :)

Back