What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My first passenger!

chepburn

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Well, it happened!! My wonderful wife and supporter, Karin, agreed that it is only fitting that she be the first passenger in C-GOGO...This is fantastic on a lot of levels:

1: She had to overcome a lot of trepidation to get in the back of this airplane.

2: She had to overcome a lot more to stay in it while the engine started and we committed to take to the air!

Here she is.....at 3000 Ft...AND she's smiling! We went up for 30 minutes, flew over a few friends houses, looked at some beautiful countryside and lakes, and flew back home..

Congratulations Karin! I can't express how proud I am of you today!

AND THANK YOU!!!!!!

karin.jpg

Folks, you would have to know Karin to understand how big a step this was for her.

Awesome, Chris! Now we just have to get her to agree on a $100 hamburger/breakfast trip :)

Proud

Tell Karin from Steve in England that she should be proud of herself!

During my very first flight I had almost burst my knuckles out of my hands I was gripping the side rails of the cub so tight!! It took me a long time to fully relax in an aeroplane and trust the machinary!

Thats the way to deal with fear.... confront it........ good girl!!:D

Congratulations Chris and Karin! We'll have to drag you out for a few weekend lunches, if my travel schedule ever lets up.

congrats and also pass along a good job from me. as a new pilot with a girlfriend who never flew in anything before she was extremely nervous her first time so i have kept all her flights to early morning and late evening in low winds but unfortunately we got delayed at breakfast one day and hit some bumps on the way home and she got a bit nervous but now after 6 flights with me she getting better each time, so i completely understand your joy to have her up there with you and in time i think we can have them both flying cross country with us. good luck and again CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

My wife does not like to fly.
She also does not like the 6.5 hour drive to see my son and his family or the 8.5 hour drive to see our parents.

After I had made the trips several times solo, she has decided the 1.5 hour hop to see the son and the 2.5 hour hop to see the parents is tolerable.

We have done the $100 hamburger once. Working on twice.

Oh, BTW, before she would fly to Ky to see her mother, she had me fly to Ky and bring her mother to south Alabama. I didn't hurt that mom was nothing less than excited about the trip. Mom had the RV grin when we landed.

Wife and small planes

My lovely wife and small planes are like oil and water. Took a 9 passenger Cessna Caravan flight once and she about clawed my arm off during take off. She has never been in a plane smaller than the Caravan and has never flown with me. I am hoping that after inspection and Phase I that we can do just an around the airport circle on a perfect calm morning as an introduction.
The alternative is to sew a black hood for her to wear over her head and play loud music on her I-pod until we arrive at our destination.
I am just going to opt to fly to see the children/grandchildren by myself a few times and see if it prompts her to try it instead of using the hood/music option.

Pat Garboden
RV-9A
N942PT
Prepping for inspection

Back