What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF at 4500ft

Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
I was flicking through the photos of my last trip and found this funny photo.
On a long cross country flight, what do you do ?
Read VAF forums !

cam0860custom.jpg

Autopilot on, FO looking out for me...:)

What's also entertaining is that you are cruising at 4500' reading an article about a 500' low-n-slow "RV"........ :)

great screen test!

...what's also informative is, even with a matte screen protector, the iPad is dramatically different from the EFIS display! ( okay, which costs ten times as much!) but still a good reference point.

You get WiFi or cell reception at 4500 feet? I notice that with the sun shining directly on the IPad, it still can be read!

You get WiFi or cell reception at 4500 feet? I notice that with the sun shining directly on the IPad, it still can be read!

I can get cell reception easy with these.

Wireless wifi / 3g

telstraelitemobilewifi1.jpg

Fitted with the external 13db antenna. The antenna sits on the back shelf I made, on top of the baggage area.

sku717081small.jpg

It was only when I was in the middle of Australia, that I did not have signal.

With the Ipad, I find that I can get 10+ hrs of use, then I need to charge it up again. If the screen brightness was higher, I think I would loose a lot of battery time. As seen in the picture, it still can be read with direct sunlight.
I usually have it sitting on my right leg ( i found the knee dock, not very good )
I was able to read VAF, check/send Emails, and most important to me, look at live weather radar and weather updates.

Back