What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 wing stand

flyer76

I just took delivery of my wings and trying to determine the best path to go down regarding wing stands. The DWG supplied in the manual won't be the best option for me due to the depth of my garage and garage door. I have looked at the plans for the metal stands but getting a quote for about $200 a pair :eek: So I am curious if anyone have used straight 4x4 wood posts in lieu of the metal? My concern is how straight the wood will remain through the process with drying and temperature differences? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks

I just took delivery of my wings and trying to determine the best path to go down regarding wing stands. The DWG supplied in the manual won't be the best option for me due to the depth of my garage and garage door. I have looked at the plans for the metal stands but getting a quote for about $200 a pair :eek: So I am curious if anyone have used straight 4x4 wood posts in lieu of the metal? My concern is how straight the wood will remain through the process with drying and temperature differences? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks

$200 seems high. I did my metal stands for around $100. I called around to a few metal supply companies and picked the best deal.

I have the same problem in that the best area for the wing jig in my garage/shop is under where the door travels. These stands are borrowed, but I'd bet you could have something like them made for way less than $200. I'm thinking of having another set made so I can build both -7 wings at the same time. If you have them made a bit taller (others have told me 55" at the spar is good) you'll have enough room to fit the control surfaces too. I had a (mostly neglected :eek:) Harmon Rocket II wing skeleton in these for over 3 years and the plumb bob threads were still dead center.
DSCN2988.JPG

I used 4X4 posts and had no problems. I too had to go under the garage door rails, so I just anchored the posts to the floor and made a brace across the top that was connected to the wall and a centre beam across the roof. All the holes lined up with ease, so I can only assume that my wings came out straight. Plumb lines also backed up my assumptions.

I made my wing stands after Ron's who post quite frequently here. There was enough room to work between the wings and I could roll the stands around. I am now done with the wings and it was great to hang all the empenage stuff and get it primed along with putting the primer on the wings, flaps and ailerons.

I have included a picture below you can click on the picture and it will take you to webshots so you can view some of the older pictures.
Smilin' Jack[

I'm still working on mine, but I have about $50 in it so far. I plan to fab some brackets out of some strap, weld them to the uprights and then bolt up the adjustable angles to the brackets.

IMG0730-L.jpg

Another way to build a wing stand when the roll-up garage door presents a problem. It turned out remarkably stiff.
359jzvd.jpg
[/IMG]

What type of configuration are people using to adjust the wing stand to take out the twist?

Some type of threaded rod perhaps?

Does anyone know where i can find some detailed pictures

I have not been able to find any detailed ones of the design. Just general shop pictures

Last edited:
I built mine to roll around. Since my garage floor slopes, it turned out that some swivel casters under one end brought them to pretty much perfectly level. So, one end sat on concrete, the other end on casters. The spar supports are aluminum angle with threaded rod supports. In fact, I still have the entire hardware set for all four posts if you want them. There is a piece of angle bolted to the support post. Threaded rod goes through that with a pair of washers and nuts to lock it in place. There's a similar arrangement at the outer end of the wing spar support bracket.

I used 4x4 posts, with a lot of left over lumber from shipping crates. I used some of the OSB to make stiffening webs for the ends. In the end it was very rigid, fit under the door and I built the wings perfectly straight - I couldn't measure any twist in either one using fishing line and plumb bobs.

Here is a link to some pictures...

Wooden uprights make a great wing stand

I did like others here, although i made the 4x4 up rights using two 2x4 screwed together and watching all the while for twist or spirals. The two together cancel each other out and make it harder for the upright to dry out and cause a problem.

As per Vans instructions the entire structure worked well although i have not had the airplane in the air as yet.

Wow those steel roll arounds look good!

Good luck.

Back