What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A day trip to Key West

tc1234c

Well Known Member
It has been a few months since we made our big trip. Today we decided to make a day trip to Key West. We decided to bring our folding bikes (thanks to Alfio for introducing Dahon bikes to us) for local transportation. Key West is about 300 nm from where we live. The best route is direct KMTH, then KEYW. On the way, we picked 2IS (Airglades) as our fuel stop (my wife always say that pilots consider filling cheaper gas a game). We were planning to leave early, have lunch at Key West, then come back for dinner. This morning most of the area were covered by dense fog. We waited until almost ten before we departed.

IMG_6702.JPG

Not too much traffic due to the weather.
IMG_6707.JPG

After a quick fuel stop we flew toward Marathon Key. Ocean is shallow and reflect interesting colors.
IMG_6767.JPG

We turned west before reaching Marathon Key to avoid several traffic at the airport.
IMG_6786.JPG

Before reaching Key West we saw the infamous balloon flying over the clouds.
IMG_6815.JPG

We did not call Key West Naval (Naval) Approach, instead just circled their airspace to the south west before calling Key West (International) tower. We were told to report mid-field right downwind. We landed uneventfully.

IMG_6829.JPG

After tied down our plane, we took bikes out and rode them into town. Key West is a bike friendly town. It is really easy to get around with a bike.
IMG_6839.JPG

We had a late lunch at Martin's on Duval Street. While riding around we heard rooster calls once in a while. I thought it was some kind of gimmick for attracting tourists. Our friendly waiter went outside of the restaurant and dropped some bread crumbs on the sidewalk. One beautiful rooster showed up to pick the bread. It turned out that there are a lot of wild roosters around.
IMG_6843.JPG

We rode to Hemingway House that is only a block from the restaurant. Due to our limited time we did not go in. Although like most people I am familiar with Hemingway's books it was not until I read "Paris Wife" I began to research his history and life.
IMG_6844.JPG

Of course we have to picture taken at this marker:
IMG_6857.JPG

continue

Watch cruise ships is as interesting as watch people from a cruise ship.
IMG_6848.JPG

After all the fun, we rode back to the airport, paid $15 plus tax to the FBO lady and departed.

IMG_6866.JPG

On the way back we get to observe the color of sun/clud/rain interaction:
IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7015.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

We made it home around 7 pm. What a wonderful day made possible by the airplane I built in my garage.

The rest of the pictures/video (too many):
https://picasaweb.google.com/107646684575855201411/2292012KeyWest

Beautiful photos.

Normally, we fly there for overnights, we flew to Key West for lunch once.
All our non-pilot friends went crazy with envy. After all, it's normally a 10-11 hour drive from Brooksville(top of Tampa class B).

BTW, we usually catch the public bus at the FBO for $2. They circle the island clockwise & counter-clockwise every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, my 7 can't carry 2 bikes.

Thanks for the memories

IMG_3405.jpg

We loved our trip there as well. It is too bad you didn't get to take the tour of Hemingway's house - it would have been extra special for you in conjuction with your research. We enjoyed the tour of President Truman's Little White House even more.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Dan, our 9 has the same baggage as your 7. It does fit two Dahon folding bikes.
Bob, We will definitely go back for over night so we can tour the Hemingway house, Truman's little white house (I did not think about this one), and Dry Tortugas National Park.

Ted, Key West is on my bucket list of places to visit for lunch when I finish my RV-9A. It won't be a day trip but I do plan to leave in the morning and eat lunch there. Thanks for the trip report - I think more than anything, seeing people having fun in their RV's keeps me motivated. Now if I can just get the curve of the aft bow to follow the curve of the turtle deck, I'll be ready to move on with the build.

Dan, our 9 has the same baggage as your 7. It does fit two Dahon folding bikes.
Bob, We will definitely go back for over night so we can tour the Hemingway house, Truman's little white house (I did not think about this one), and Dry Tortugas National Park.

My bike must not fold up as tight as the dahon. It would be great having the flexibility to tour KeyWest at our own pace.
You got us motivated to return.

How about we all make a day trip?

Dan & Ted,

Before the summer heat makes it less comfortable to fly, how about we all meet there or MTH for lunch one day? Need an excuse to burn some expen$ive fuel.

Ted I'm about 25 miles south of Dan at KZPH. Come visit one day! Maybe over to LAL for lunch?

we have gone many times. let just set a date carl. a vaf pic at the southern point would be fun. .
img0386w.jpg

Don't mean to "butt in" but I've been looking to make a trip to Key West. I'm up in NW TN and would probably plan to stay a night or two. Perhaps we need to make and "unofficial" Key West gathering. Perhaps could be tied into Sun'N'Fun in there is any interest from others.
BTW, any recommendations for a relatively affordable place to stay in KW?
I realize there probably won't be any cheap places but just don't want to get ripped.

Peter K
9A-370 hrs

Myra and I would be up for a Key West RV gathering. Another option would be Marathon for lunch. Lots of good resterants and beautiful scenery.

Mary and I visit Key West two or three times a year. We typically stay for two or three nights. Our favorite hotel is the Eden House. Bruce Sacks, bsacks05 on this forum, introduced us to this hotel a couple of years ago. It is not the cheapest in town, but the location is perfect, and the hotel and staff are fantastic. When the check in clerk offers you a complimentary cold beer or soda when you show up hot and sweaty at the front desk, it tends to set the tone for your stay in Key West. The free self-serve happy hour out by the pool every evening from 4 to 5 PM is great. They have rental bikes at the hotel and some of the packages include bikes for your stay. We have always taken the taxi in from the airport, but the suggestion to use the bus sounds very interesting. I think the taxi is $8 per head, each way, so a $2 bus ride might be the way to go. Last time we took the Truman House tour and really enjoyed it. We also took a sunset cruise on a sailboat and it was lots of fun. Next on our list is the day trip out to the Tortugas.
Did I mention the free happy hour?:D

That sounds like a good excursion to make while we are down in May or June visiting family/friends. Great pics Ted. My wife was wondering if we could land at Dry Tortugas?? Not without floats...hmmm. I like the 160 kt cruise too much. The boat trip sounds good too. Thanks all for the ideas.

Dan & Ted,

Before the summer heat makes it less comfortable to fly, how about we all meet there or MTH for lunch one day? Need an excuse to burn some expen$ive fuel.

I'm in. Haven't gotten down to Key West yet.

Wayne,

I thought about flying over Dry Tortugas for photo shot. To do so one has to fly through ADIZ. A DVFR flight plan is needed. Well, realistically, it is better to take either float plane or boat ride.

My gf and I are heading down next Thursday for 4 days. We won't be diving (bummer) so what else should we see/do?

My gf and I are heading down next Thursday for 4 days. We won't be diving (bummer) so what else should we see/do?

Fly with Freddie Cabanas. I recommend leaving the GF on the ground to take pictures while you go up in the Pitts, but if that's not an option, you can both hop in the front hole of the Waco for a scenic flight together.

http://www.cabanasaerobatics.com/

You are living a dream Ted. Great adventure with beautiful pictures as always. What would you do without your navi and photographer? :D

Key West is definitely different from Cross Keys, I've been to both :D

Fulfilled my childhood wishes visited Hemingway house.

HemingwayHome1.jpg

Took a ride over the town in a Waco and had good time.

KennyourCaptain.jpg

I will be in that corner mid March might pay a visit.

Flying Down

I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel I have to emphasize this whenever I hear of anyone traveling down here by plane...please, please, stay well clear of the restricted air space over Cudjoe. The last thing I ever want to be a part of again is an investigation / recovery effort of an aircraft crash due to anyone accidentally cutting across our airspace. Trust me on this, the aerostat is tethered by a very strong rope (yep, it's a plastic encased rope, not a cable) that will remove a wing like a scalpel and won't break. I saw it happen a couple of years ago to a 172 and 3 souls were lost. We welcome all...come on down and have a great time...just please be careful. Ok, off my soapbox now, and anyone who's headed down here, feel free to give me a shout and I'll answer any questions I can about the local area.

Don't mean to "butt in" but I've been looking to make a trip to Key West. I'm up in NW TN and would probably plan to stay a night or two. Perhaps we need to make and "unofficial" Key West gathering. Perhaps could be tied into Sun'N'Fun in there is any interest from others.
BTW, any recommendations for a relatively affordable place to stay in KW?
I realize there probably won't be any cheap places but just don't want to get ripped.

Peter K
9A-370 hrs

We've always stayed at:
http://www.oceanbreezeinn.com/
http://www.southernmostpoint.com/

They are both along the bus route and close by the southernmost point.
It's about a 10 min walk to Duval, but it's always an interesting walk.

Last edited:
Yes, be aware of R2916

stay well clear of the restricted air space over Cudjoe.

Totally agree, it would not be fun to run into the cable :(. Following highway 1 all the way to Key West (overfly NQX) runs the risk of hitting the cable. After Big Pine Key I always fly south toward southern edge of the Naval airspace over the water. When departing north I flew north of all the islands and join highway over Long Key. R2916 and all other airspaces are clearly shown on my GPS moving map. It makes navigation around complex airspace much easier.

avoiding the balloon is easy, just stay south of the highway and you will remain clear of the restricted area. also, please don't be afraid to call NAS key west on 124.02 inbound just south west of marathon. the traffic gets very congested in that area and is a mix of VERY fast traffic and slow movers.

if you depart and stay to the north be aware that the EYW037 is the duval1 arrival to MIA and there will be traffic on it not only out of EYW but inbound to MIA as well. I fly up that radial at few times a day at 9000.

enjoy

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Caution about IFR flight to Key West

Even though you file an overland IFR flight plan from Lakeland to Key West. You will get vectors after takeoff that route you essentially direct over a VERY long expanse of water VERY far from land. The timid/unprepared pilot will quietly accept the new clearance when it comes with no floatation/survival gear onboard. Be prepared to respond "Unable ..."

Bob Axsom

Ted,
Great write up with photos. In my opinion, the BEST place to have breakfast in "old town" is the Blue Heaven. The chickens run loose around that place. Naturally, they have the freshest eggs in town. I like to eat breakfast outside and feed scrambled eggs to the chickens! [Guess I've watched Silence of the Lambs a few to many times :D]
Ask any local for directions to the Blue Heaven. It's run by a bunch of hippies, so don't expect fancy surroundings. Great food and a nice atmosphere. During tourist season, get there before 8:30 am or the line to get in will be down to the end of the block [no joke]. Earlier is better.

http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

My favorite place for dinner is Louie's Back Yard. It's in the back streets near the southern most point. Best to call and make reservations at least a few hours before. I like to reserve a table outside. The view of the Gulf is great.

http://louiesbackyard.com/

Hemingway House and The Little White House are good places to check out. Did any of you visit the lighthouse museum near Hemingway's? I like to go to Mallory Square about 45 minutes before sundown. Watching the sun go down is the "alleged" feature. However, I enjoy all the street performers there.
The FBO at EYW always treats us great. I generally go to Key West at least once a year [past 15 years]
I've done the Waco ride, like Vlad. It's nice, but I suggest the shorter 1/2 hour ride. The scenery on the hour long ride is a bit repetitive. Has anyone checked out Fort Zachary Taylor while down there? I enjoyed it. See

http://blog.placesaroundflorida.com...eenactment-key-west-fort-zachary-taylor-2012/

If you are a history buff, check out

http://www.shipwreckhistoreum.com/

http://www.melfisher.org/

My favorite bar that's NOT on Duval Street is The Green Parrot [a sunny place for shady people] It's the oldest bar in Key West and more of a laid back locals bar.

http://greenparrot.com/

This should whet the imagination of those of you who are snow bound. [insert sounds of David Allen Coe's JIMMY BUFFETT DOESN'T LIVE IN KEY WEST ANYMORE]

http://www.davidallancoe.com/members/lyrics/jimmy_buffet.htm

Charlie

WOW, that last link is bad

I enjoyed your post about the special places you like in Key West. I think I remember David Allan Coe as the writer/performer of a song about the last ride of Hank Williams, which I liked but man the stuff at that last link in your post is really rough.

Bob Axsom

Set a date and I'm in..

Dan, Turbo and all,

Wx permitting, I'm in. Weekend before Sun n Fun is fine here. Pretty flexible to go any weekend too.

Wasn't thinking of an overnighter but could do that too. Day trip is easy from Tampa Bay area.

Keep the idea alive guys!

I will be in key west this weekend and will be arriving/leaving northbound to atlanta with about 18 gals on board with a planned fuel stop when I hit mainland FL. Researching on Airmav it looks like apf and fmy are around 100 nm or so north of keyw and have good gas prices.

Which is the best place to stop? Either have a good burger bar type place to grab lunch on the way?

Back