What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Cheap Wheel Dolly ($7.99)

larrynew

Well Known Member
Harbor Freight has cheap mover's dollies for $7.99 (with a coupon) that I modified to easily move the airplane around the garage. They're rated at 1000lbs and are just the right size for our wheels.

IMG_2175.JPG

Cut a notch in the 2x4 where the wheels sit and scallop the corners so the wheels can pivot. Position so the wheels will rest equally on the notched 2x4s and the two end pieces. Deck screws attach the 2x4s to the bottom. Fifteen minutes and they work great, especially for $7.99 each!

IMG_2173.JPG

wheel dolly

Hi Larry, good idea - how do you get the wheels up there? With a jack or a ramp?

I'm looking for a solution that will do the following:

1) work with the very low profile wheel pants on
2) avoid having to use a wing jack (I have one, but man, it's scary to use!)
3) avoid having to roll the aircraft onto the dolly - not a lot of space in the hangar, and also kind of hard to do for one person

Any tips?

good idea. I just plopped my 12 wheels onto/into the dollies as they came from harbor freight. moved it around all summer like that.
step ladder works like an a frame for a small chain hoist to lift wheel but that wouldn't be any help with wheel pants.

HF motorcycle lift

To lift my plane, I use a motorcycle lift from HF. I think it was about $100 or so and it lifts the entire plane off the ground. I use a box made of plywood and some pink Styrofoam to help make the fit work. I wouldnt work inside the plane on the lift but it does a great job getting it off the ground for work on the wheels.

Back