What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

Midnight oil

Well, I've been burning the candle at both ends lately and hopefully I'm almost done. I finally got power on the new panel upgrade I've been working on for our own RV-10, and I am really pleased with it. Here's a before and after picture, and here are the highlights:

• removed the 3400 EM and moved the D-10 into a better field of view
  • installed engine board in 5400
  • replaced Garmin 430 with Avidyne 540
  • removed 330 transponder and installed AFS remote ES transponder and ADSB box
  • replaced SL-40 with Garmin 225 (my older eyes like bigger, brighter digits)

I really like the Avidyne. You can Hold anywhere with just a couple of entries. And Rob's new Software for the AFS stuff now has WIFI and downloading Foreflight flight plans are instantaneous. Really cool.

So far everything is working on the ground, including traffic and weather.
Carol is working on the interior, too, so I hope to fly it soon. :)

Before:

After:

Very Nice.

Cool, Must be the first Bendix unit in an RV. Been seeing those in magazines and they Look like a real nice device.

Cool, Must be the first Bendix unit in an RV. Been seeing those in magazines and they Look like a real nice device.

It is the new Avidyne IFD540
http://www.avidyne.com/

Since we introduced the IFD540 as an option in the Advanced Quick Panels they have been very popular, all of the current IFR panels we are working on have an IFD540.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Spruce

The cable controls were from Aircraft Spruce and the switches were from Aerotronics about 5 years ago. I think they carry a different style now so I reused the ones I had.

Vic

The switches look like Honeywell AML series----------Aerotronics is where I got mine;)

P2030033.jpg

Advanced flight Upgrade

They did it again....One year into RV10 and we decided to upgrade the two 5500 to touch . Added the AF/SV Adhars and new software. New chart upload system which becomes much more affordable and easier to update. We flew it yesterday and very impressed. The new software features are incredible!! Lots of new functions to learn...the autopilot interface and its functions are awesome.
AFS continues to be our favorite vendor to deal with because of their innovation and support.
IMG_20150318_183735822_HDR_zpsn3cgnots.jpg

They did it again....One year into RV10 and we decided to upgrade the two 5500 to touch . Added the AF/SV Adhars and new software. New chart upload system which becomes much more affordable and easier to update. We flew it yesterday and very impressed. The new software features are incredible!! Lots of new functions to learn...the autopilot interface and its functions are awesome.
AFS continues to be our favorite vendor to deal with because of their innovation and support.
IMG_20150318_183735822_HDR_zpsn3cgnots.jpg

You need one of our new Wi-Fi module so you can use ForeFlight on the iPad as another screen :). An Avidyne IFD540 would look really good in that stack, switch to the PAC15 remote audio panel and you should have the room to do it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I here a lot of talk about using an Ipad. I don't have one so I must be missing a lot but like the panel that is posted above it already has 5 screens of information, isn't that enough. how many screens of information does a guy need?

I here a lot of talk about using an Ipad. I don't have one so I must be missing a lot but like the panel that is posted above it already has 5 screens of information, isn't that enough. how many screens of information does a guy need?

All of those screens don't help a bit when you're in a hotel room doing your flight planning! The iPad running Foreflight is the best bang for your buck and has revolutionized flight planning. If you have it for that purpose, it's also available in the cockpit :D It is a fantastic combo.

That's right

It's really neat to be able to flight plan on the IPAD with Foreflight and then move the flight plan to the screens in the cockpit instantly. One other realy cool feature is the scratchpad in Foreflight. It can be used in flight to copy clearances, clearance amendments, etc.

Vic

Still working on getting part A joined with Part B.... A little snafu at Stein with the rush to get it out before Oshkosh meant the wiring harness had to come off and go back for some corrections.... but man is their work purty...

Getting closer:

15nsnf9.jpg

Waiting for longer throttle cable and looking for a trailer to make the big move. Wings need bottom skins and tips, then we'll put it all together.

==dave==
N102FM

The interior is finally finished to the point where I'm ready to post the panel here!

FdPRmBdh.jpg

rMIcGVLh.jpg

46U0Qx1h.jpg

3 G3X Touch screens. The center MFD is a 465 with the XM receiver.
GTN650 IFR Navigator, COM1
PS Engineering PMA450 Audio Panel
GMC305 AP Controller
GTR20 Remote Audio Panel, COM2
GTX23ES Remote Transponder
GDL39R Remote ADSB In
Dual GSU25 ADAHRS
GI260 AOA Display on the glareshield
VPX Pro Electronic Circuit Breaker
TCW Tech 6ah IBBS Avionics Backup Battery
TCW Tech 3ah IBBS Ignition Backup Battery
TCW Tech Smart Start
Custom LED Backlit Switch Panels
Custom Overhead Switch Pod for lighting control

All installed in the Aerosport Products 310 Symmetrical Instrument Panel, along with the new Aerosport center console / throttle quadrant setup.

The panel to the left of the PFD is an "emergency panel". It has a MFD reversionary mode switch, alt static switch, alternator selector switch, as well as the dual LightSpeed ignition warning lights and breakers, IGN backup battery voltmeter and test button, and CO test button.

Ed,

Who did the reverse engraving for the LED backlighting? Or did you? And what LEDs? That's exactly what I want to do in my panel also. Was going to use the Fiberlite backlighting. But I'm trying to figure out who would do the reverse engraving. It goes without saying, but must be said of course - the panel looks awesome!

I'd love to see the full overhead console, or as much as you can reasonably get into a photo. Beautiful work.

Here is the best pic I have of the full overhead (it's tough to get a good angle!)
dNFoiUMh.jpg

As for the switch labels... I learned SolidWorks (CAD program) well enough to figure out how everything would fit, and then designed out the labels, with where the holes and all the text and outline boxes went. I sent the CAD files to Aircraft Engravers and they made matte front engraved self adhesive labels and placards. That engraving method is the one they say you need to use if you want to backlight them.

The pics below show how it all get's put together. The LED lighting is just a roll of 12v LED strip lights that I got off of amazon. They are dimmed thru Kick KR6 dimmers that are installed in the overhead switch panel. The LED strips that I used are kind of crappy, and I wish I had got a set with higher LED density. As it is, I needed to use some white plastic as a diffuser panel to get a more even light thru the labels.

As for actually drilling all the holes, since I don't have a CNC mill at home, I would just print out the CAD drawing at 100% scale and glue them to the aluminum switch plates with spray glue and use my drill press and a set of files to get all the holes just right.

7oJW0V2l.jpg

orSFr3Wl.jpg

MVyx9Fyl.jpg

ExWNKyQl.jpg

l0ATpc1l.jpg

Ed,

I'm brand new to VAF and am in the preliminary stages (still cleaning out the garage!) of building my own RV-10. I've been watching the forum for a long time and have never seen an overhead console quite like yours!

I am curious as to how you routed the wiring for the overhead switches and I am also wondering if you fabricated the part of the console where the switches are mounted or if that is commercially available somewhere. I recognize the Aerosport panel but that doesn't look like an Aerosport overhead.

I'm curious about the wire routing because I used to be an avionics tech on B-52s in the Air Force and wiring is kinda' my thing!

Mike Marchand

Ed,

I'm brand new to VAF and am in the preliminary stages (still cleaning out the garage!) of building my own RV-10. I've been watching the forum for a long time and have never seen an overhead console quite like yours!

I am curious as to how you routed the wiring for the overhead switches and I am also wondering if you fabricated the part of the console where the switches are mounted or if that is commercially available somewhere. I recognize the Aerosport panel but that doesn't look like an Aerosport overhead.

I'm curious about the wire routing because I used to be an avionics tech on B-52s in the Air Force and wiring is kinda' my thing!

Mike Marchand

It's an Aerosport OHC... ED just got Jiggy with some composite Fabbing up at the front end.... apparently he likes acting out scenes from Airplane the Movie with overhead switches and such..:D

I think I remember seeing he ran conduit up either side of the windscreen in that recess... I ran wires through the support tube and some into the OHC from the rear...

Enjoy the journey

Overhead

The overhead is so cool I think I need to add
a "blind" set of overhead switches to mine just
to pretend.:D
Very nice!

It's an Aerosport OHC... ED just got Jiggy with some composite Fabbing up at the front end.... apparently he likes acting out scenes from Airplane the Movie with overhead switches and such..:D

I think I remember seeing he ran conduit up either side of the windscreen in that recess... I ran wires through the support tube and some into the OHC from the rear...

Enjoy the journey

That's correct on all accounts!

The switch panel was made by carving out the shape I wanted in foam, and then doing a layup on top of that.

And John is also right about how I wan wires. I have some 3/4" conduit that I glasses into both door pillars. It smoothes out the shape of the door pillars, and also gave me a lot of room for running wires. All the power and ground wires go thru the pillars, and the 3 antenna cables run thru the center post.

New Aerosport Products RV310 panel & quad armrest

Aerosport Products is now offering a new RV-10 panel named RV310 panel.
We had many request for a panel that would hold 3 10" screens and a center armrest console that would have the option for a throttle quadrant. After over a year of design and development they are now available and in stock. They will be available direct or on the website. They will be on the website within the week.
I have attached some pictures of the first two Beta installs. One is a new RV-10 and one is an existing RV-10 retrofit. Ed Kranz is the new install and Rob Hickman is the retrofit. I would like to thank them both for there contributions for helping bring this new panel to life.
Give us a call for any questions you might have about these new products.
Contact us at http://aerosportproducts.com Or call us Direct at 614-834-8659

0_0_37c12d8991e32cf817cef752d61f2282_1

0_0_37b731cc910cbabd2e38871aca52c240_1

0_0_de57c0069cbd673f755846cb3e8aee29_1
0_0_d543c6747ff3509dbab5092712717f43_1

0_0_af37b7f12d770216d3942efdf634e7a9_1
0_0_40babc568dfe2e4105c73279fe74e0ff_1

Last edited:
N319CB

I purchased my RV10 a little over a year ago. I think I have finally finished my panel. Really minor stuff left. The picture is missing the GRT Mini that is left of the Main left screen. I recently added the fans on top due to the recommendations of you guys. (thanks!!)

rlomfkO.jpg

Second RV-10 - Glass Cockpit

Hi All,

Here is a picture from the glass cockpit of my second RV-10.

fJwheyr.jpg

bTDZSU8.jpg

I'm very anxious for inaugural flying next month!!

I'm using a G3x Touch, 3 display system with TCAS GTS800 and a WX500 Stormscope (very useful here in Brazil). I'm also using TSO Backup Flight Instruments.

In the picture, it is missing the GTN-650, it will go above VHF Radio GTR-225.

Very happy!!!!:):)

Cheers!!

G3X Touch Goodness

Panel is done! (Even though Stein did it, there's still a lot of work once it's in your hand!). Everything working, fuel system checked out, all the boxes are talking to each other. Tx and Rx working, Everything working on the sticks... It's getting there.... We even rigged the sticks with a quick disconnect so they can come out easy for working under the panel...

(The missing switch is a custom Carling fuel pump mode switch that is not acting as it should so Robert @EFII is running some tests on it. It's a strange gremlin, but, it'll get figured out)

Finally putting the interior together....
Weather permitting, we're headed to the airport in a few weeks!!!!

Nice John, are you doing or have done anything to the carbon fiber like clear coat or anything? I have the CF panel also and wondering if anything should be done for the "natural" look?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi

Back