What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Port Location

jmpratt

Can someone tell me where static ports are discussed in the RV6 builder's manual? I can't find it anywhere.

Section 8 The Fuselage page 8-23 in the manual 6S8r3.doc 9/10/01.

Also Section 15 Final Inspection and Flight Test page 15-19

Section 8 page 8-22 in my manual and SK-61. The instructions were also included in the static kit from Vans.

Attachments

• 20230308_104526.jpg
    20230308_104526.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230308_104549.jpg
    20230308_104549.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 87
You may find 2 different locations for the static ports. Early plans as well as the instructions for the Static port kit may show mounting at the first bulkhead aft of baggage compartment. Later plans show it moved 1 bulkhead aft. Asked the mother ship, they replied that the aft location is now used for standardization, and either location is acceptable.

Thanks for the references. The builder of my 6 installed a blade type pitot-static sensor on the left wing. No other static ports were installed. I've been having problems with my autopilot holding altitude. Turns out it was excessive static lag. I'll need to go back and install static ports per the manual.

-Jason

In case you are curious or are thinking of expensive aftermarket ports, most find that the rivets per the plans is as accurate as anything.

Thanks for the references. The builder of my 6 installed a blade type pitot-static sensor on the left wing. No other static ports were installed. I've been having problems with my autopilot holding altitude. Turns out it was excessive static lag. I'll need to go back and install static ports per the manual.

-Jason

Just FYI - I use the blade pitot on two of my RV’s, and they work great…for Pitot only! The static would be wildly inaccurate.

-Jason

For accuracy please use the Vans recommended shape also. There are hours of issues posted here when other shapes are used and yielded ASI errors. Vans now sells the "shape" with a threaded fastening and hose barb on the backside.
Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 8.05.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Just googled that and it looks much nicer than the original blind rivet. Thanks for the heads up!

Dang. My RV-9 supplied plans quit at page 8-19 with zero mention of static port placement. Thanks for posting this. I tried searching Van's website for info but found nothing. Having the port one bay behind the baggage wall is a lot easier to access than the next one aft.

Section 8 page 8-22 in my manual and SK-61. The instructions were also included in the static kit from Vans.

Back