What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 914F

scsmith

Well Known Member
Anyone think about putting a Rotax 914 in their RV-12 (EAB)? Turbocharged.

I think the same engine mount will fit, since the 914 is a direct derivative of the 912, right?

Not that you cant do it but why would you? Installing the larger engine forces you to certify EAB vs ELSA and moves the aircraft out of the LSA category due to speed and possible weight limitations. At that point I would consider a -9 unless it is more about removable wings and not about the LSA category.

Couldn’t he just operate it as an LSA? Not sure if the weight would be a problem, but it would still have a throttle.

I fly a Europa with 914. The engine mount for Europa is the same for 912 & 914, so should fit. Be aware that the airbox and turbo air intake are different so probably will require some cowl changes.

I have a 914 with 1300 hours available reasonable.

Jim Butcher

Not that you cant do it but why would you? Installing the larger engine forces you to certify EAB vs ELSA and moves the aircraft out of the LSA category due to speed and possible weight limitations. At that point I would consider a -9 unless it is more about removable wings and not about the LSA category.

Correct it would be an EAB and fly it as a LSA as long as weight is not too much and pitch is set for 120 kts level flight. It would be a pitched for climb my guess 1500-2000 climb.

Good thread https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/1852-912-vs-914

It is not a larger engine. It is the same size engine, with the same rated continuous horsepower. The difference is that with the turbo, that horsepower rating is maintained to high altitudes.

Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughts. Especially confirming that the mount is the same.

h&jeuropa - depending on whether a contract comes through in the next few months, we might be interested in your engine.

Back