What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to rivet F-7106?

amaris

Well Known Member
My skin just doesn't seem to want to line up on the very front corner rivet. If I start with this one and then work my way to the other side, it's short. If I start in the middle, I still can't get that one rivet close to lined up. The others are tight but I can make them. Any suggestions?

This may be the hardest skin I have done on the fuselage. I had a hard time with the sides. Patience-start in the middle and work your way out. Heat. I warmed the part up and the shop first.

Awl

Just like the tank skin. Use an awl. Once it's on, leave it. Goes on easier the second time.

This skin is easier to fit well if it is pre-rolled to the correct profile using a sheet metal roller. That needs to be done before dimpling. I took mine to a sheet metal shop, along with plywood templates of the firewall and instrument panel. It took the man about 30 mins to roll it to the correct shape and that made it much easier to fit.

I find that using a stainless countersunk 6-32 x 1/2" screw and nut helps with that troublesome rivet.
DAR Gary

Back