What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Empanage Bulid

alexevan

I'm New Here
Hi All,

My name is Alex and im a young builder about to embark on the RV12 bulid journey.

Just wondering if anybody would recommend anything else that i should add to my tools list.

4 Piece Dimple Die Kit - 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", & 3/16"

Rivet Squeezer Set - 6-Piece Kit

1/8" (#30) Standard Spring Cleco - MADE IN USA! 1/8" (#30) QTY-350

3/32" (#40) Standard Spring Cleco - MADE IN USA (#40) QTY-50

Cleco Pliers

ECONOMY HAND RIVET SQUEEZER WITH 3" YOKE

AVERY MICRO-STOP CSNK CAGE

AVERY SPEED DEBURR-CSINK TOOL

DEBURRING TOOL

FLUTING PLIERS

If anybody has any other suggestions i would love to hear them!.

Alex, the 16 year old building this in Australia

Hey there Alex - Awesome project to take on!

Section 3iS/U in the plans has a good list of the tools you'll need. Do you have a copy of the plans? If not, send me a PM and let me know. I can get that for you.

Welcome to the family!

greg​

You will need a countersink cutters in #40, #30 and a#30 120degree to get you started. Given the cost of freight, I’d suggest ordering 2each of the #30 and #40.
A couple of packs of #30 and #40 drill bits, and probably one each #30 and#40 extended drill bits. You will be buying tools throughout the build process. Check out someone like Cleaveland tools for a good list. The aircraft specific stuff is best sourced from one of the US based suppliers. A lot of stuff can be got locally. Shop around, do a bit of googling and you may save yourself some money.
A bit of info to get you going in the right general direction. Good luck
Cheers DaveH

Alex, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Sport Aircraft Association https://saaa.asn.au/. They run a Builder's Assistance Program and can assign you a technical counsellor to help you with advice and inspections during the build. It's a challenging project if you don't have any prior experience.

SAAA i am a member of and also they do not run a BAP anymore.
Alex

Check again: https://saaa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MSP-1.0-003-Member-Support-Program-MSP-1.pdf

In any case it's good that you're a member. You should arrange to have a local tech counsellor appointed to help you through the build. We have a number of tech counsellors and AP's over here in WA, and I recently assisted with the SAAA schools RV-12 build, so the support is definitely there. Good luck with the project.

Edit: I see from some SAAA RV-12 build reports that you were one of the participating students in Victoria, so you will already have a good idea of what's involved. All the best.

Last edited:
Back