What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyc IO-390 EXP119

Curious if there are some good threads on this topic. My engine is coming later this year and not sure what finish kit changes to make.

I recommend installing Van’s new RV-14 snorkel designed for the 119 engine instead of the one Van’s sends you for the IO-360-M1B. It has been modified to provide better much better air flow into the 119’s FM-200 fuel manager - and is already set up to fit the FM-200.

I do not know if there will be any cowl interference or not. The horizontal injected RV-8 cowl gets very tight in the bottom front. I would not be surprised if you had to do some cowl work.

Carl

I am in the process now. Info to come.

He (piper9175d, a friend of mine) did it.
[He does not post very often but if you send me a message, I can get it to him or ask him to check here and reply.]

"Outstanding Workmanship" award at AirVenture last year (I flew it there for him), and I think a lot of it had to do with his engine installation. .
Originally an IO360 but swapped out for IO390 119EXP after a few hours.

Worked with Don at Airflow Performance to "improve" the "snorkel" for better fit and better "flow" (per testing by Don).

Custom 4 into 1 exhaust made for it.

The engine both "growls and purrs". Pulls strong and runs smooth.

I'm gonna sound like the big hole today; will seem that I'm one of "those" guys.
I am not defending my choices or claiming that any particular option is better. Build the plane you want.

All that said, the mod'd straight valve O-360s will get you to about the same HP. It would be cheaper, take out a lot of customization/build time, other. It's a lot more than just making things fit. Do what you want but throwing something else out in case you had overlooked it.

James,

Do you recall who fab'd the exhaust?

Thanks, Laird

Clinton Anderson
Clintco Industries DBA
Custom Aircraft Parts
El Cajon, CA

After a LOT of dimensional data was supplied, he built it (took some time) and when we got it back, it DID NOT FIT! There were certain nuances that could only be noticed when you try to put it on a plane with everthing ALREADY in place.

So ,,, we studied it for quite some time and followed the path of every curvature and determined that the whole assembly needed to be one (1) inch LOWER. The main pieces were sent back and redone.

This time everything FIT QUITE NICELY!

It was neither his nor our fault. It was CUSTOM 4-into-1 with a 390 EXP119 on an RV8 with an updated snorkel and that had not been done before to our knowledge.

I could be wrong, but I think Dan's is early IO-390 from Barrett, not an EXP119. The EXP119 has different intake tubes and a larger fuel controller (FM-200), so I don't believe a standard (whatever that is) IO-390A or C exhaust will fit the EXP119.

Maybe AWI has a version that fits an EXP119. I haven't asked that question of them yet.

I need to figure out which exhaust to use. My understanding is that the exhaust for the EXP119 and RV-14 will not fit inside the RV-8 cowl. I wonder how far off it is?

Laird

You may want to speak with Kevin at Van's tech support. He has knowledge in this area. He told me Vetterman said they could build an exhaust for the EXP119 that would fit in the standard RV-8 cowl.

I'm in the middle of installing the EXP119 and can't help you beyond the direction I've gone and what information I've gathered from others.

- Vans Part Number: BAF-14-IO390 EXP119 - I elected to go with the RV14 baffle kit made for the EXP 119. I've been told this works with the standard RV 8 cowling but does get snug in one corner. This kit is significantly less work than the standard RV 8 baffle kit, a comment from a builder was Vans did everything on this kit that the builder wished was done to the baffle kit on a previous build. This baffle kit also comes with the snorkel which did take a few iterations to optimize for the new fuel servo. I figure even if I have to modify the snorkel it's still much less work than building one from scratch.

I've decided to install the Showplanes 13 row oil cooler mount which looks like it may interfere with the upper right plug wire pass through. Might not be an issue but something of note. A firewall oil cooler mount such as that installed in the RV10 or 14 might be a good choice here but more cooling will most likely be needed than the standard oil cooler.

WD-00110 - This is the bracket for the throttle and mixture control on the EXP model engine. It looks as though it clears the cowl but I have not confirmed for myself yet.

I purchased my exhaust from Clint at Vetterman Exhaust but have yet to install it. When I purchased he had mentioned he had completed a few for this configuration already and it required a little trial and error to get right.

Don't purchase the stock control cables as they won't work. Wait until you have the engine mounted and can measure the length you need with a section of hose then order what you need.

Last edited:
IO-390 RV8

Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-390-A3B6
Superior Cold Air Sump
Dual P Mags
Vetterman Trombone Exhaust
FM-200A
WW 74 RV
Grove Gear
Earth X mounted lower front baggage compartment
Show Planes brackets and oil cooler mount.

First flight soon……….

Empty weight 1119.6 lbs C/G 76.85 no ballast added

Optioned engine prior to 114 version

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eehyTwJFJoA2P7jmZR2McNbQ

I am in the process now. Engine is in, I used a Vetterman exhaust which is much tighter in my opinion. I used the baffles from EXP119 RV14 kit, some modification required for the oil cooler plenum, but not too hard to do. Will have to do some up front due to longer cowling. Fitting the cowling now, but don't see any major issues so far, but it is early.

I am in the process now. Info to come.

on the lower cowl, I seem to be having a fit issue, maybe you have already been there. I used a 2.5" spacer and the Hartzell 15" spinner, piano hinges for the aft vertical. If I set a 1/4" gap between the spinner bulkhead and the cowl, I would have to mount the piano hinge on the honeycomb at the aft end of the cowl. If I move the cowl forward allowing space to mount the piano hinge, it will jam the front cowl into the bulkhead. seems like a 2.75" extension would have worked better, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

on the lower cowl, I seem to be having a fit issue, maybe you have already been there. I used a 2.5" spacer and the Hartzell 15" spinner, piano hinges for the aft vertical. If I set a 1/4" gap between the spinner bulkhead and the cowl, I would have to mount the piano hinge on the honeycomb at the aft end of the cowl. If I move the cowl forward allowing space to mount the piano hinge, it will jam the front cowl into the bulkhead. seems like a 2.75" extension would have worked better, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hey Carl,
Are you using the Vans or the Showplanes cowling?

Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-390-A3B6
Superior Cold Air Sump
Dual P Mags
Vetterman Trombone Exhaust
FM-200A
WW 74 RV
Grove Gear
Earth X mounted lower front baggage compartment
Show Planes brackets and oil cooler mount.

First flight soon……….

Empty weight 1119.6 lbs C/G 76.85 no ballast added

Optioned engine prior to 114 version

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eehyTwJFJoA2P7jmZR2McNbQ

Wow! That's a beautiful install! Just curious, though...is there a need for heat shielding anywhere? The exhaust gets very close to the intake runners in a few places.

I believe that there will be enough airflow and additional heat shields may not be necessary. It gets tight in there when using the Superior cold air sump! I will be doing first flight soon and will keep a close eye on things and report back my findings.

Wow! That's a beautiful install! Just curious, though...is there a need for heat shielding anywhere? The exhaust gets very close to the intake runners in a few places.

Curious about your cowling, are you using Van's, I noticed no Prop extension? Is your baffle custom or did you use a RV14 and modify it? Looks very nice!

Hey Carl,
Are you using the Vans or the Showplanes cowling?

Mark,

I ended up ordering a 3" EXTENSION. The honeycomb is just too much interference on the top cowl with the Skybolts and it is just too tight at the hub. The Hartzell bulkhead is adjustable somewhat but I can only gain about 1/8". Another option would be to shave the front of the cowl but I would have to add some backing as I would end up going through the face of the cowl or cut it aft of there and remove material and splice in, none of which appealed to me, I'll let you know how it goes. Come to find out the 3" extension weighs less than the solid 2.5". Stay tuned.

Mark,

I ended up ordering a 3" EXTENSION. The honeycomb is just too much interference on the top cowl with the Skybolts and it is just too tight at the hub. The Hartzell bulkhead is adjustable somewhat but I can only gain about 1/8". Another option would be to shave the front of the cowl but I would have to add some backing as I would end up going through the face of the cowl or cut it aft of there and remove material and splice in, none of which appealed to me, I'll let you know how it goes. Come to find out the 3" extension weighs less than the solid 2.5". Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update Carl. 👍

Last edited:
Couple points to share on the IO390 EXP 119 install into the RV-8.

- Stock Vans Cowling

- RV-14 EXP baffling & snorkel - will require a bump out on the cowling to accommodate the snorkel geometry. Deviating from the purchased design has a major risk of reducing engine performance.

- Vetterman crossover exhaust - requires a 90deg fitting to turn the sniffle valve horizontal. Will require heat muff with inlet and outlet at differing geometry, stock Vetterman muff will not work.

- Control Cables - my configuration requires cables 10” longer than those in the IO360 angle valve Firewall Forward kit. Cables exit in the prescribed location.

- Governor bracket in the 360 angle valve kit will not work for forward mounted controls. Ordered the RV-14 bracket and will make that work.

Work continues!

Attachments

• 71996945017__A3C52509-6B15-4483-9BED-397CEC6D714B.jpg
    71996945017__A3C52509-6B15-4483-9BED-397CEC6D714B.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 42
- RV-14 EXP baffling & snorkel - will require a bump out on the cowling to accommodate the snorkel geometry. Deviating from the purchased design has a major risk of reducing engine performance.

Great info, thank you. What’s the rough size of the bump out (length width and height)? Are you saying you think it would be a noticeable performance hit to modify the snorkel?

Ben - I’ll draw a grid on the cowling and post it so you can see the location and general dimensions of the bump out that I’m incorporating.

I spoke with AirFlow Performance and they stated a risk of snorkel design impacting engine performance. The other option was to make a snorkel and have it flow tested which would be a lot of time and money for what little gain there would be.

Back