What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want To Work At The Largest Wind Tunnel Complex In The World?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Hey RVers:

After 28 years building satellites, I recently changed jobs and now I?m a supervisor at the National Full Scale Aerodynamic Complex (NFAC) at Moffett Field (Mountain View), CA. We have some open positions for an Instrumentation Engineer, Test Engineer, Data Analyst, and an Electrician.

We test a lot of rotorcraft here but we also have tested parachutes for Mars landers, big rigs, full up fixed wing aircraft, etc. There is always something different coming in. Here is a link to the facility:

https://www.arnold.af.mil/About-Us/...302/national-full-scale-aerodynamics-complex/

And here is a link to the jobs:

https://nascareers.catsone.com/careers/?location[0]=Moffett Field, CA

If you have any questions, give me a shout.

I had the privilege of a "behind the scenes" tour some years back, given by F. Steinle (SP?)

It was the experience of a lifetime, a real "bucket list" item. Being a "builder" I found the NFAC more impressive than the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton (Old Wright-Patterson)

Like the field of "mini-craters" in the parking lot outside the Hypersonic Wind Tunnel, :D

I think you've done yourself a personal disservice as there are any number of members who will request the same. May I offer my name for the top of the list?

Regards,

mjb

I had the privilege of a "behind the scenes" tour some years back, given by F. Steinle (SP?)

mjb

That would be Frank Steinle. He was Assistant Branch Chief at the NASA Ames Unitary Wind Tunnel complex for many years. Later went on to work at AEDC (Arnold Engineering Development Center) in Tullahoma TN, where the big complex of Air Force wind tunnels and test chambers is. He made substantial contributions in understanding wall corrections for slotted-wall transonic wind tunnels, along with some really great Boeing folks (Mark Goldhammer comes to mind), and also worked on understanding some interesting minutia that effects accuracy of very high-accuracy force-balance measurement. He chaired a lot of committees on supersonic testing also.

Last edited:
Would you guys ever consider hiring a new aerospace engineering grad? My son will be graduating after this fall semester from Embry Riddle. He delayed graduation for a NASA internship he just took this spring in Houston.

Back