What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sedona

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I wasn't really planning on it, but the weather forecast looked so good yesterday that I made a spontaneous trip to Sedona. Decent tailwind at 9500' on the way out, so I was doing maybe 185-190 mph ground speed; at 8500' on the way back, around 150-155. DA on the outbound leg was about 11,300'.

Very calm when I landed, around 10 a.m. Sight picture of the runway, and high TPA had me high on approach, but I slipped 'er down no problem. As those of you who've flown there, it's unusual in that in calm wind conditions, you land on 03 but take off on 21. It was cool to see a bizjet on approach as I was midfield to downwind for 03.

The restaurant rocks! The breakfast potatoes are especially good. Friendly folks in the FBO as well. I was so inspired by the scenery. This is why we fly these little airplanes!!! I didn't see any of those harmonica virgins that people always talk about, though. :D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siE-AFZeW4U

It might be calm, but don't forget there is always a vortex off the end of Runway 3....:)

colnetmap.jpg

http://www.lovesedona.com/01.htm

And no wonder that one is on "Outlook Point"

airportvortex_1f_lg.jpg

The T-shirts says it all.

keep_sedona_weird_light_tshirt.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't really planning on it, but the weather forecast looked so good yesterday that I made a spontaneous trip to Sedona. Decent tailwind at 9500' on the way out, so I was doing maybe 185-190 mph ground speed; at 8500' on the way back, around 150-155. DA on the outbound leg was about 11,300'.

Very calm when I landed, around 10 a.m. Sight picture of the runway, and high TPA had me high on approach, but I slipped 'er down no problem. As those of you who've flown there, it's unusual in that in calm wind conditions, you land on 03 but take off on 21. It was cool to see a bizjet on approach as I was midfield to downwind for 03.

The restaurant rocks! The breakfast potatoes are especially good. Friendly folks in the FBO as well. I was so inspired by the scenery. This is why we fly these little airplanes!!! I didn't see any of those harmonica virgins that people always talk about, though. :D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siE-AFZeW4U

I saw your video on another forum earlier , what camera and editing software do you use ?

Hey Scrabo,

I took the video with a GoPro Hero 3 borrowed from a friend (I'm gonna hate to give it back!). Software is standard-issue iMovie on my Mac. For some reason, the camera stopped working about 5 minutes into the flight...would've like to have made a slightly longer video.

Thanks for the vortex map, az_gila. Multiple vortices! I'm think of moving to Prescott in a few years, so it was nice to fly over Love Field to check out the runway. Anybody know what the hangar situation is there, in terms of cost/availability?

Thanks for the vortex map, az_gila. Multiple vortices! I'm think of moving to Prescott in a few years, so it was nice to fly over Love Field to check out the runway. Anybody know what the hangar situation is there, in terms of cost/availability?

Apparently the Airport Vortex is very manly...:)

Airport Vortex.

From the junction of Hwys 179 and 89A, go 1.1 mile west on 89A and turn left on Airport Rd. Go .5 mile up Airport Rd. to the parking area on the left. Walk up the trail to the saddle between the hills, where the Juniper trees are very twisted. You may also want to walk up to the top of the small hill on the left. From this vantage point you can see most of Sedona. The energy at this vortex strengthens the masculine side.

The Masculine Side can be seen as being on a scale that has strength at the high end and weakness at the low end. People who have a strong masculine side are self-confident. They have the internal strength to take charge of their own lives, and to claim their rights in life. This make them good at standing up to people who try to take away their rights by force, intimidation or manipulation. Having a strong masculine side means being good at taking risks when appropriate, being decisive when necessary, and being able to focus or concentrate in order to get things done. It also means being good at figuring out how to get out of life what is desired; figuring out how to operate responsibly, and how to reason without distorting reality. Conversely, people who have a weak masculine side often doubt their abilities, and many things intimidate them.

Local Sedona plan

I have noticed over many flights in and out of Sedona... that a departure on 21 leaves the pilot very few places to land in case of difficulties on departure. What is not obvious from runway level is a route to the local High School. If you turn right about 45 degrees off 21... in a very short time you pass the school and the highway becomes visible. It at least provides some semblance of an emergency place to land. Otherwise, the terrain is famously pretty and notoriously unfriendly to a dead stick landing.
Nice video by the way! I sometimes stick my haze buster sunglasses in front of the camera lens. Then the reds really pop out :)

I have noticed over many flights in and out of Sedona... that a departure on 21 leaves the pilot very few places to land in case of difficulties on departure. What is not obvious from runway level is a route to the local High School. If you turn right about 45 degrees off 21... in a very short time you pass the school and the highway becomes visible. It at least provides some semblance of an emergency place to land. Otherwise, the terrain is famously pretty and notoriously unfriendly to a dead stick landing.
Nice video by the way! I sometimes stick my haze buster sunglasses in front of the camera lens. Then the reds really pop out :)

I love the hazebusters - dont know why more people dont go for them

Good insight, and thank you for the compliment! I'll have to try the haze buster trick.

We have a relatively new manager and board of directors for the airport in Sedona. At long last we have a manager that knows how to run a small airport, at least it is looking that way. Lately, instead of having the highest fuel prices around, we have very competitive prices!

There are a lot of good things happening around the airport with the new people in charge. I hope to see more small plane folks come on in for breakfast and check the scenery, art, vortexs etc.

Randall from Sedona

The Thorp T-18 group has a Sedona Airport fly-in in late April. I flew down (in my RV-8) from Washington in a gaggle with some T-18 friends. The Sky Ranch Lodge, a great motel is a short walk from the FBO and restaurant.
It was quite windy until Sunday AM departure...we departed to the sight of many hot air balloons and complete calm conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, Randall. I had a great visit, and the recently repaved (or resealed?) runway was a joy to land on. First class all the way.

Forgot to mention the pilot discount at the restaurant...show your certificate and you get 10 percent off. :)

Back