What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest Projects - EAA AirVenture "Teen Build-Fly Program" a Huge Success

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Eagle's Nest Projects - EAA AirVenture "Teen Build-Fly Program" a Huge Success

AirVenture 2016
Teen-Built Aircraft Soaring To New Heights

Teen-built aircraft set all-time records this year at both SnF and AirVenture; seven (7) aircraft were displayed at SnF by Eagle’s Nest Projects and thirteen (13) aircraft represented by six organizations were displayed at AirVenture. This was more than double the number of teen-built aircraft displayed last year and a testament to the growing popularity of teen build-fly programs. Eagle's Nest Projects is extremely proud to be a small part of this growing movement!

IMG_06501_VAF_zpsncbvnumd.jpg

EAA's "Teen Build-Fly" Program a Huge Success
Three years ago EAA took a leadership role in promoting teen-built aircraft with the creation of a new "Teen Build-Fly" program and additionally donated prime display space adjacent to the Homebuilders Hangar ($10,000 prox. show value) for the various teen-build programs to show-off their aircraft. This year EAA included free weekly admission to all teen-builders displaying an aircraft! The program was conceived by and continues to prosper under the leadership of Charlie Becker, Chairman EAA Homebuilt Communities, and Jerry Graff, Chairman EAA Youth Aviation Programs Association (YAPA). In appreciation of EAAs continuing commitment and generous support of teen build-fly programs, teen-builders, mentors, and supporters from the various organizations represented signed a "Thank You EAA" banner and presented it on Wednesday at the PHP center to a group of EAA dignitaries. Thank you EAA, Charlie Becker, Nadia Farr, Jerry Graff, and all the various teen-build programs for making 2016 the best year ever!

OSH_2016_8516_VAF_zpsemleej8y.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent!

Congratulations Ernie, these programs will pay dividends for years, and likely across generations. Thanks for your great work!

Carl

And if the photo had been taken the next morning, there would be about a half dozen more teen built RV-12's and a Zenith 701(?) included!

And if the photo had been taken the next morning, there would be about a half dozen more teen built RV-12's and a Zenith 701(?) included!

Actually, Scott, all the teen-built aircraft with the exception of one RV-12 from Florida that experienced a flat tire on landing and our Eagle's Nest -12 from Wisconsin were in place when the photo was taken (photo by Scott Malcomb, ENP Florida). The confusion may be the timing of the photo; Mr. Malcomb's photo was taken just prior to Eagle's Nest Projects being asked by TeenFlight to move all their aircraft and signage to the back of the display area, which we did. Nonetheless, a display of 13 teen-built aircraft represented by six organizations is an overwhelming testament to the success of the teen-built movement, a movement that you, Van's Aircraft, Airway Science for Kids, and Mr. RV himself, Richard VanGrunsven, inspired. Thank you!

Last edited:
Gongrats! Very impressive seeing all of the completed and flown in planes. I looked them over carefully and they are beautiful. As my wife and I were inspecting then, we met several of the students. She remarked that the quality of the students is very high, polite, smart, motivated, and in her words, clean cut!

I love this program, supported the very first one and will continue to do so if asked.

Good work.

Actually, Scott, all the teen-built aircraft with the exception of one RV-12 from Florida that experienced a flat tire on landing and our Eagle's Nest -12 from Wisconsin were in place when the photo was taken (photo by Scott Malcomb, ENP Florida). The confusion may be the timing of the photo; Mr. Malcomb's photo was taken just prior to Eagle's Nest Projects being asked to move all their aircraft and signage to the back of the display area. Nonetheless, a display of 13 teen-built aircraft represented by six organizations is an overwhelming testament to the success of the teen-built movement, a movement that you, Van's Aircraft, Airway Science for Kids, and Mr. RV himself, Richard VanGrunsven, inspired. Thank you!

Your right, I wasn't very clear..... I meant visible in the photo, since the rest were still outside the parking area that had been set aside for everyone to share.
But it actually still wasn't all of them. At least one more arrived after you guys left.

If you have not had a chance to meet Ernie, I suggest you go out of your way to do so. I don't think a more humble man exists.

His very special calling is to help kids realize what their potential is, the planes are just the tool he uses to do so.

Best of luck expanding the program Ernie!

If you have a teen build project in your area, I'd recommend volunteering. It's a very rewarding experience. If you don't have time to volunteer, consider making a donation to keep these projects going.

Looks great Ernie.

I look forward to attending next year!

Georgetown ISD will be joining Eagles nest for the 2016-2017 school year. For anyone in the area that would like to help please contact me.

Ernie is going to do a presentation this Saturday morning (8/13) at 10:00 am for our local EAA chapter. We meet at the KGTU Terminal.

-Dan

Back