What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Review my panel ideas

I would out both the HS-34 and AP-74 on the right side of the screen. You will be wanting your left hand on the stick when using those knobs and buttons and won't want to reach across the screen to use them.

I would dump the engine gauges and install a Dynon D10 EMS on the right side.

Then your passenger can have an EFIS, if they are a pilot.

It will probably be cheaper, integrates with the D100, lighter, easier to wire, and take up less space.

Of course, you can always put it on the left side, if you want.

(I started with a D100 EFIS and D10 EMS and really liked the setup.)

One other thing, do not put warning lights on the top. I started with a green fuel pump on light near the top of my panel and at night it was TOO bright.

If you go with the Dynon EFS & EMS, let it manage all your warning signals.

Move your headset plugs under the panel, on each side, and mount them vertically. Save your panel space for use later. (You might have to make a bracket that you rivet to the side.)

Before we redesign the panel for you, what's your intended mission and is your goal to hit the minimum cost and/or performance to achieve that mission? Or are you looking for more capability (and willing to accept more expense) than the bare minimum required for your mission?

I'll give some thought to putting the modules both on right. I think I liked the symmetry, but your point of which hand I'll be using is well taken.

I've gone back and forth a thousand times on the D10. My main reason to not do it is that I'm likely to go to Skyview for 2010 compliance and the D10 will be out the window. I think having the 696 almost direct center for the right seater works for now.

Appreciate the feedback and welcome more!

Before we redesign the panel for you, what's your intended mission and is your goal to hit the minimum cost and/or performance to achieve that mission? Or are you looking for more capability (and willing to accept more expense) than the bare minimum required for your mission?

Thanks for the question.

My current plan is to move to a stable IFR capable platform, knowing that I might switch it all to Skyview in Dec 2019, or more likely add a single box 2020 compliant solution like Freeflight or whichever new flavor pops up betwixt now and then.

I currently own everything in the proposed panel, so it's more of an arrangement/aesthetic question.

for reference, the "before" picture is:

One other thing, do not put warning lights on the top. I started with a green fuel pump on light near the top of my panel and at night it was TOO bright.

The two warning lights top center are Alternator warning (dual Plasma II's makes this critical up there) and the AvMix Lean Indicator which arguably doesn't need to be as prominent, but also shouldn't be illuminated at night.

I don't know if the D-100 allows the extra inputs the way Skyview does. But I'll be asking :)

Thanks!

;) life

The thread right below mine was selling all the EI gauges that I'm keeping. So, the sunk cost might not be so sinking after all.

Not to mention I'm removing an STEC 30 Altitude hold and servo, so the spare parts will probably cover the D10 and Probes.

By the way, do the probes for a D10 work with skyview?

I agree with the comments. The HS-34 and AP-74 on the right side. You might want to play with the idea of horizontal mounts as an option. Also, you might want to consider a Dynon D180 instead of the (I think) D100. EMS is almighty and you can eliminate many of your other instruments. I like having my GPS close to me. Here is what I did with my EMS-D10 engine monitor, the EFIS-D10A and the iFly GPS. I just recently finished it and love all of it. My AP-74 is on the right side on the radio stack. No need for more instruments. Cheers..

My only thought is on the AP if you haven't already bought it. I think you would be happier with the Gemini AP than the legacy Dynon.

Finished product

Thank you for your input on this. I did make the panel sections modular, so when I run into a deal on a D180 I can replace the D100 and get rid of the round dials

Back