What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Job finally Done!

wera710

Well Known Member
Been wanting to do something to honor my older friends before the last one passes away. Most of the pilots I've known from WWII/Korea are have already flown west. Two flew P-51s in WWII and one in Korea. As I've always felt my generic Vans paint scheme looked pretty much like every other, I decided to do the P-51 thing. My buddy John passed away before I could pin him down on his paint scheme, as did a guy named Don, who taught me formation, so I decided to go with a general scheme that would represent the 357th Fighter Group, 362nd Fighter Squadron (Sqd code G4), although the OD was applied in this manner to aircraft from all three squadrons, the 362nd, 363rd, and 364th. Some had OD/Neutral Grey, some just the top in OD, and some just OD on the cowl. Came out ok I think, although the painter did not get the mask correct on the stars and bars. Ah well.

RV788_1.jpg

For those not interested in history, stop here and just look at the photos if you like, as the rest will be boring. lol. For those of you into the history, the P code was actually used by a guy from Texas by the name of Lt. Otto D. Jenkins on "Floogie II" and again later by a Lt. Edward Hyman on “Rolla U-bar”. No idea from where he hails. I went with P with an underscore to diferentiate it as I was not trying to replicate a specific aircraft. The serial number on the tail is actually this RV-8s number, with the addition of 44- in front, as was common on the P-51s in that era, where they dropped the first 4 in the tail serial number.

RV788_4.jpg

The military project stencil can be a lot of fun. I saw one guy use "Service Pilot with 100 Proof Whiskey" or something like that. My own uses Vans Zip Code, my initials, a Nod to this website (VAF!!), and an observation about the future of 100 Low Lead. :D

RV788_2.jpg

RV788_3.jpg

Hope to see some of you at the RedStar Formation Clinic next weekend. We need MORE US stars and Bars to counter all those Commie RED ones! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING looks great and well designed!

Now the neighborhood is looking better now at KPTW -:)

I know it was difficult to be without your ride for a couple of months, but the new colors look great! Congratulations. I look forward to flying off your (newly painted) wing.

Ha. Hey Bill, are you going to be in Easton on the 5th or the 6th? I recall Mike and Clogs (or whatever the heck we are calling him this week) are sighed up. If this weather holds out we should have a pretty decent clinic! And...as I am planning on sleeping as far away from you snoring buzzsaws as possible, I might even be SAFE to fly next too! HA! :eek::D

Thanks Jorge! I am just being picky. LOL. The white bar should intrude into the blue circle. Could fix it but at this point, I just want to FLY!

However, if you've seen photos of actual war time paint jobs, I guess I can't complain too much. Those red and yellow checks would have had to been applied with a beat to death paint brush and a piece of carboard with a square cut in it!

I always thought that if a P-51 showed up at OSH with invasion stripes applied with a mop or a broom, and the rest of the paint slapped on as if by a few harried airmen, the owner should INSTANTLY win Grand Champion for Originality!

Ha. Hey Bill, are you going to be in Easton on the 5th or the 6th? I recall Mike and Clogs (or whatever the heck we are calling him this week) are sighed up. If this weather holds out we should have a pretty decent clinic! And...as I am planning on sleeping as far away from you snoring buzzsaws as possible, I might even be SAFE to fly next too! HA! :eek::D

Yep, I'll be there. Even have my own room so you'll be buzzsaw free ....

Looks great. Now Claw and I will need to put you to the test in some ACM to see if you can fly as good as the plane looks. Just remember, check six with those Yaks and CJ's buzzing all around you this coming weekend. See ya Friday.

Paint

Looks Great ! You mentioned that you had fun with the stencils , I helped restore a Chipmunk and found a company that made military " oil board " stencils . Had to have a little fun , we put " Barfing Prohibited " in the rear seat area .

You put a lot of thought into this Scott and it really shows. A great tribute to the men who risked all for us in foreign skies.

Looks great Scott! Beautiful job! Of course, I'm biased when it comes to RV8s, especially with a military paint scheme...
Love the air-to-air pics too!
Hope to see it in person someday!

Enjoy!

Wow!

Nice addition to Pottstown RV Fleet. You guys have quite a few masterpieces there at KPTW I know at least four.

Looks Great ! You mentioned that you had fun with the stencils , I helped restore a Chipmunk and found a company that made military " oil board " stencils . Had to have a little fun , we put " Barfing Prohibited " in the rear seat area .

LOL! My own has a little placard in the back saying:
"If you do not like the way I am flying, you are welcome to step outside!"

"I'm biased when it comes to RV8s, especially with a military paint scheme...
"
I've seen the Doll up close at OSH. I think your's helped me finally take the dive. As the 352nd FG and the 78th FG seemed well represented in the RV community, it just seemed natural to do one as a 357th. And being an old soldier myself, well, I just LOVE Olive Drab. :D

As far as the men who we are trying to honor. Not even sure we can honor them properly. Few want it. All deserve it. But we darn well can Remember them!

Last edited:
I love it

I think I was the first to put a P-51 Mustang paint scheme on an RV-8, and I have enjoyed all that have followed. The shape of the airframe just begs to wear military paint, and all the Mustang paint schemes I've seen look great. The German RV-8 in a ME-109 paint scheme is stunning as well.

Congratulations on an outstanding RV-8.

Last edited:
Looks outstanding! In fact, it's such a great tribute that I think your winter project should be to add a belly scoop to your plane to complete the look. :D

I'm really good at thinking up projects for other people.

Scott, I think what you did is wonderful. I absolutely love it!! I wish I still had my 8 so we could "dog fight"!!!

I'm really good at thinking up projects for other people.

HA! We sound a lot alike that way. Just ask Dave. Another budy and I walked him into Van's Oshkosh tent in 2011 after showing him the RV-12 and I believe my exact words were, "You know, they DO take Credit Cards..." :D

Love it! This exact paint job was one of the finalists in the running for my 8 as well. Well executed.

I would love to see another one in 357th trim! If you are on the east coast, consider Three In The Green. They are located at Zerby (KZER), Schuylkill County Airport in PA. I think if they did a second one, it would be even better, as I've given them a bit more detail to work with, on how to better convert the scheme for an RV.

Back