What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reference - Oil routing

zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

Over the past week I've learnt a lot more about the flow of oil through our -360 engine. I thought a few photos and words might be useful for the next person trying to understand:

This is the back of the engine accessory case, the oil comes from the sump, through the oil screen and up through the pump. This oil flow can go one of two ways,
a) straight out to the oil cooler (hose connection)
b) or up the dark red line past where the old oil plunger location and through the center location with the Vernatherm.

If the Vernatherm is over about 85C, it expands and closes the valve action between the tip of the Vernatherm and the center hole on the accessory case. This means the oil can only go round the cooler route (option a).

If the Vernatherm is under about 85C, it is retracted and the valve function is open and the pumped oil can go straight into the oil filter adapter below (option b).

The cooled oil comes back in to the accessory case on the top left, and goes down and comes out of the left hand hole. This connects with the filter inlet area.

After the oil is filtered it goes to the right hand location and then through the engine and back to the sump. ....and repeat....

Processed_Img_4660.jpg

This is the back of the ECI angle filter adapter, the filter goes on the top, with the unfiltered oil going up the outside of the filter, through the matrix and down the center location. The standard Lycoming oil temp probe location is on the back which is measuring the temperature of the post pump (and optional cooler) before filtering.

Processed_Img_1186.jpg

The final photo is the front view of the adapter - the larger chamber on the right of the photo is the oil coming from the pump (when the Vernatherm is cool / retracted) or from the oil cooler return line (when the Vernatherm is hot / expanded). This is where the oil temp is measured and then goes up and into the filter. The left hole (in photo) is the cleaned, cooled oil from the filter which goes into the engine.

Processed_Img_1185.jpg

Other notes:
-360 should have between 7 and 12 gallons per minutes flow
In rough terms that is about 50 lbs / min of oil flow

I hope I got the facts right!

Carl

Nice

Carl,
Very nice write-up!
When I overhauled my engine last year I learned the flow pattern real well also. But, I had already started to forget some of the details:confused:

It was great to review it looking at your photos.

Thanks,
Mark

Gaskets

Carl.... is that an ECI adapter and and an ECI gasket?

My copy of Lycoming SSP 885 "ENGINE MOUNTED OIL FILTER KITS AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS" calls out a LW-12795 gasket that looks like this...

LW-12795.JPG

It's a bit different from the gasket you are photographing... similar, but different...

gil A

The gasket that Carl shows is one option and the gasket with the slot that others are referring to, is another option. Either will work. The later will actually hold the vernatherm plunger off its seat, by a smidge when the vernatherm wants to be closed. ECI says that smidge is not an issue and real life experience sees to bear that out.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks Mahlon....

:)
The gasket that Carl shows is one option and the gasket with the slot that others are referring to, is another option. Either will work. The later will actually hold the vernatherm plunger off its seat, by a smidge when the vernatherm wants to be closed. ECI says that smidge is not an issue and real life experience sees to bear that out.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks for the clarification Mahlon.

It sounds like there are some very specific dimensional issues with the ECI angled adapter - making the ECI gasket essential (as stated in the linked PDF file).

I guess the vernatherm sits slightly differently in the non-angled Lycoming adapter that the SSP document refers to...

gil A

Oil Routing and High Oil Temp

Should oil be returning from cooler to accessory case if engine is cold?
I am trying to determine if the vernatherm is doing it's job as my oil temp is consistently 220 degrees in cruise 24" and 2400. I pulled the cooler return line loose today and while the engine is cold spark plugs are out motoring with starter oil filled up a small container attached to return line fairly quick.
Should this be the case? Is this correct?

Thanks

Should oil be returning from cooler to accessory case if engine is cold?

Cold oil is free to go to the cooler but it doesn't because the cold/open vernatherm allows a direct path back to the engine. As the oil heats up, the vernatherm closes and forces oil to go through the cooler. So your indication is normal--you're just seeing a little residual flow because the cooler circuit is open.

BTW, failure of the vernatherm to seat properly is a possible cause of high oil temp

Interesting notes on the vernatherm, I wonder how many oil temp threads have been written thinking it was an air flow, or cooler (SIZE) when all it was, was this oil flow directing thermostat?

Back