What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visor mount near center?

majuro15

Well Known Member
I thought I saw someone that mounted visors (Rosen or Blue Sky?) on the overhead near the center bar instead of the traditional door pillar area. I have a set of the Rosen's and they are great quality but I just don't like how they hang down so low, even when folded up. It seems like there'd be a better way?

I'm really leaning towards leaving them out since I hate them in most other airplanes (personal preference, I know I'm different). But I figured I'd try to find that center mount picture if anyone else has done it.

Thanks.

I am doing some custom visors and plan a center mount. Just a block of alum. with one hole to clamp on the support and two small holes for 5/16" rod that will hold the visors. threaded knobs will hold the visors at different angles. I will send a pic when I make it.

I could probably make two, but may not help for the Rosen's.

Larry

Perhaps you saw my post on the ?other? rv10 web site. I refused to pay $300 for sunvisors. So I bought a bunch of suction cup sun visors from ACS for, iirc, $4 each. The optical quality of the tinted plastic is quite good. They stick okay to the side windows (front and back) but won?t stay upside down on the windscreen. So I removed the suction cup screws, and used the holes to screw the visor to a wooden dowel. The dowel goes thru a hole on a block of wood. The wood has a U shaped conduit bracket on it, which holds it to the center post. The dowel from the copilot side goes thru this same block. Friction holds everything in place, but everything can be made to move. Rotate the visor up onto the cabin ceiling when not in use; rotate down, slide block to desired height, when in use. Right seat not independently adjustable for height. It looks like what it is - a $10 solution. But it?s okay for me.

cheap straight forward solution for RV-10 visors

My solution that I just completed during my condition inspection was to buy the RAM $68.00 visor from Aircraft Spruce and the SHORT Ram ball clamp connector. It is only 2.5'' -3 '' long. I then ground one end of the ball connector to the curvature of the round center bar using my removable co-pilot control stick that is the same sized material as a template. I then painted it and glued small pieces of rubber to the inside of the ground end to prevent scratching up the post and allow the clamp to grip the post tight.

By using the short ball mount modified to fit the post, the visor fits between the post and the edge of the door frame just right. the visor can be adjusted up and down the post depending on how high or low the sun is during flight. You can also swing it around to cover the co-pilot side of the windshield if needed. It can be easily removed by just loosening the ball clamp and set it in the back seat.

I also installed a ball mount above the pilot's door with a nutsert to mount the ball stud and utilize the same visor on the door by ordering another short ball clamp WITHOUT modifying it to fit on the ball mount and the visor ball. It works great and can cover the entire side window area for those early morning flights when the sun is pouring in the side window.
1 visor
2 ball clamps
1 ball stud for door
under $100
Test flew it and works great!

I can send pics to anyone wanting to see the final result and maybe they could post them for others. I am not computer savvy enough to post pics...

Don Orrick
N410JA

My solution that I just completed during my condition inspection was to buy the RAM $68.00 visor from Aircraft Spruce and the SHORT Ram ball clamp connector. It is only 2.5'' -3 '' long. I then ground one end of the ball connector to the curvature of the round center bar using my removable co-pilot control stick that is the same sized material as a template. I then painted it and glued small pieces of rubber to the inside of the ground end to prevent scratching up the post and allow the clamp to grip the post tight.

By using the short ball mount modified to fit the post, the visor fits between the post and the edge of the door frame just right. the visor can be adjusted up and down the post depending on how high or low the sun is during flight. You can also swing it around to cover the co-pilot side of the windshield if needed. It can be easily removed by just loosening the ball clamp and set it in the back seat.

I also installed a ball mount above the pilot's door with a nutsert to mount the ball stud and utilize the same visor on the door by ordering another short ball clamp WITHOUT modifying it to fit on the ball mount and the visor ball. It works great and can cover the entire side window area for those early morning flights when the sun is pouring in the side window.
1 visor
2 ball clamps
1 ball stud for door
under $100
Test flew it and works great!

I can send pics to anyone wanting to see the final result and maybe they could post them for others. I am not computer savvy enough to post pics...

Don Orrick
N410JA

Thanks for mentioning this, I have a bunch of the ram mounts for the Moto's and Jeep, so this looks to be an easy solution. Of course I still like the COMPOSICLEAN SOLAR SCREEN, easy to move around and nothing really in the way.

Here are Don's pics:

47368075392_c410679943_z.jpg

40455276013_b5106507ed_o.jpg

40455276063_bd07819417_o.jpg

47368075472_736fe3d075_o.jpg

40455276123_b28e53e202_o.jpg

47368075482_99f58328dd_o.jpg

Thanks for sending them along!

OK, so flickr is doing some weird stuff with the photo orientation ... I can't get it to accept the 180 degree rotation. It displays the photos normally in my account, but the links are flipped. Flipping them upside down first makes no difference.

Anyone have a fix for that?

I have Rosen visors mounted on the A pillar and love them. They can be used on the door window when the sun is beating in on the side of your face. They can be extended if needed. They are expensive but very high quality. They do not get in the way as some have stated. I have never said I wish these were not here. I think a center mounted visor is only giving half the versatility as A pillar mounted. Flying for 9 yrs with them.
I use them a lot. FWIW

Geoff, do you have any photos of how you mounted yours? Looking for a specific location on the pillar.

Not meaning to beat a dead horse but since it hasn't been discussed here for a while, there may be people new to the RV-10 community that are not aware.

Van's does not approve of drilling visor mounting holes in the A pillar of the RV-10 cabin top because of the loss in structural strength it it could cause which would degrade roll over protection.

Roll over protection static testing was done on the cabin top during the RV-10 design process, but not with any holes drilled in the A pillar. Just be aware that the influence of holes is an unknown and that you should keep in mind that you are fully exercising the experimental nature of the aircraft if you do so.

I decided not to use them as personal preference. I may grab something from justplanetint.com to use as a sunshield, but I am just not a fan of visors.

I tried the tint but found it does not last to stick to the window, don?t know if there?s a way to rejuvenate the ability to stick?

The justplanetint stuff is not just stick on window tinting. Check the website out to see the details. Basically micro suction cups. He can make any shapes or sizes.

Geoff, do you have any photos of how you mounted yours? Looking for a specific location on the pillar.

Here?s where I put mine. I used self tapping screws.

IMG_0884%25281%2529.jpg

Scott is correct in that this isn?t ?approved? by Vans. That probably has more to do with them not testing it vs becoming a point of catastrophic failure on a roll over.

Do the screws insert from the bottom? Will they loosen or work loose? Seems like they would pull when readjusting visor. Should bolts and nuts be used? Are they installed where the rain gutter is? Trying to picture how they mount.

Last edited:
Van's does not approve of drilling visor mounting holes in the A pillar of the RV-10 cabin top because of the loss in structural strength it it could cause which would degrade roll over protection.

What about bonding a composite mounting bracket to the pillar?

I thought I saw someone that mounted visors (Rosen or Blue Sky?) on the overhead near the center bar instead of the traditional door pillar area. I have a set of the Rosen's and they are great quality but I just don't like how they hang down so low, even when folded up. It seems like there'd be a better way?

I'm really leaning towards leaving them out since I hate them in most other airplanes (personal preference, I know I'm different). But I figured I'd try to find that center mount picture if anyone else has done it.

Thanks.

Go with your instincts and leave them out. The new owner of my RV-10 installed them and I hate the way they ruin the otherwise superb visibility.

Invest in good sunglasses and fly on.

Carl

Back