What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad use and placement

kaweeka

Well Known Member
I just got an iPad mini and I'm wondering how others use their iPad in the cockpit. Not what programs but HOW- knee pad, RAM mount to panel, suction mount anywhere? Interested in your responses. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Simple knee pad

I use a simple knee pad from Sporty's (about $15) with a Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot. Velcroed the back of a Poetic cover to attach to knee pad.

My ipad mini mount

I just got an iPad mini and I'm wondering how others use their iPad in the cockpit. Not what programs but HOW- knee pad, RAM mount to panel, suction mount anywhere? Interested in your responses. Thanks in advance.

Here is a photo of my panel and I mounted it to the left side. I like it there, it is out of the way and when I am looking at it I can still see out side the plane. Also with it there, my vent is directed on it so that it will keep the ipad cool and not over heat in the direct sun light. Just an idea.

I think I ordered the actual ipad mount off Ebay for around $10 and then you can order the additonal mounts. I had them lying around so that is why I just ordered the one off of ebay.

IMG_4493_zps05fa8d67.jpg.html

Using the Universal mount

I have an RV-7a, and use the Ram Universal mount. However, I chose to remove the mounting foot at the bottom, and instead, carefully, slowly (not all at once), flatten about 1" of the round aluminum stock to about 3/16" inch thick, and roughly 3/4" wide (trim as necessary), then drilled a hole in the center of this flat spot for a #8 screw. Using the bottom-most, inner #8 screw on the kick-panel on the passenger side (covering the fuel lines), attach the bottom of the mount there.

For additional support (obviously required), use an Adel clamp around the aluminum stock, and attach to one of the upper #8 screws holding this same panel. No drilling in the aircraft required! ...And it's in a fairly little-used spot.

Then, carefully bend the mount to a central location between the seats (and above the fuel selector), and trim to the best height to allow leg clearance underneath while sitting and climbing in and out, yet not to high to be in the way of any controls, or panel access. Use whatever cradle is best for your iPad. I use one of the sliding, spring adjusting mounts for easy insertion/extraction.

This position works out well, and it's not too hard to route a charging cable (from a cigarette lighter power source -- no, I don't smoke :D ) under the panel to the iPad (if you install the iPad in the cradle upside down it's a shorter run) without much cable being exposed to catch on things.

One thing to get used too, is the need to go under the iPad cradle to get too the fuel selector - I don't even notice this anymore. Also, keep something like a soft cloth handy to clean the iPad, and also cover it from prolonged direct sun-light while parked. It will heat up and turn off! ...not so :cool:

HTH
Michael

Nose wheel SB

Charles C,

In looking through the pictures of your airplane I noticed that the bracket that limits nose wheel pivot is on backwards. Just making sure you know there was an SB issued recently on that.

Michael

image-13.jpg

left side ram mount.:p best thing since sliced bread.;) so much info in the cockpit.:D glass is good. :)

right side ram mount :p just enough info in the cockpit :D glass breaks and eats into fuel fund :)

3 seat rv9a?

Vlad

So that is a how a fighter pilot flies a side by side RV. Stick in the right hand, throttle in the left hand, sitting on the centerline. The wide stance of the rudder pedals leaves a lot of room other systems. This picture cracked me up!

I have iPad in the cockpit, using it for planning and navigation. Have used RAM Mount with suction cups on both iPad mini and iPad, not at the same time :) iPad mini can I mount on the left side but the iPad must be mounted on the right side. For me it works best.

RAM mount

10507060_10204075155150529_9090818643582714265_o.jpg

I have iPad in the cockpit, using it for planning and navigation. Have used RAM Mount with suction cups on both iPad mini and iPad, not at the same time :) iPad mini can I mount on the left side but the iPad must be mounted on the right side. For me it works best.

RAM mount

10507060_10204075155150529_9090818643582714265_o.jpg

Hi Dypen,

Which of the suction cup accessories do you use with that RAM mount? Is it on the link you gave us for RAM?

thanks

SB has been completed

Charles C,

In looking through the pictures of your airplane I noticed that the bracket that limits nose wheel pivot is on backwards. Just making sure you know there was an SB issued recently on that.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I encluded additional photos to show for the sale of my plane and one of them show the SB has been complied with. Thanks for the sharp eye.

20150120_110507_zpsg647xmtk.jpg.html

Last edited:

right side ram mount :p just enough info in the cockpit :D glass breaks and eats into fuel fund :)

This is funny !! I used to do this on long cross country in a C150. It really allows one to stretch out!! Maybe you need a 14.

edit:I gives the impression of dual side stick controllers too :)

Back