What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB 8 Kit..... Again

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So,

I am now looking at the VS and the fact the there are 3 pre drilled holes in the sternpost of the QB kit, all at 3/8ths.

These have to be transferred onto the VS rear spar.

On the 7, we drilled forward up to 3/8ths - how am I going to drill backwards through already drilled 3/8ths holes into the VS rear spar to locate it ?

Get yourself a set of transfer center punches from a machinist supply shop.

Or, maybe you can borrow some from a buddy who is a machinist.

h202080a.jpg

I just put my hand in the back with the correct size drill bit in my hand and spun it in my fingers to leave a mark, then took it off and centre punched it, and drilled it undersized, put it back on, checked the holes were looking good then final drilled

Dave

Thanks Dave - good suggestion.

Now, I have another question........

As I am building a 8, with a tailwheel - why have I got this hole in the fuselage ?

IMG_0766.JPG

For the step???

For the rear vent scat tube???

Show more of the side, so folks can see where the hole is located.

(My bet is step)

its for the step for the ones with the training wheel on the front. rivet a plate on the inside (with a bit of proseal) as the flap fairing covers it it cant be seen

Dave

Well - it is exactly where the step would go.

I am just surprised that there isn't a reference in the instructions to a cover plate or something.

I can see the efficacy of using the same parts on 8 and 8A but until I get closer to the finish, I am not sure where the flap fairing goes.

The more I see of these Philippine kits, the less I am liking them.....

Bring back CZAW !

if i remember rightly the line of rivet holes on the left of your picture will line up with the holes on your flap fairing. that should give you a rough idea of where it goes, final positioning is done when you put the wings on and line the ailerons and flaps up

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will check the instructions.

Would you check your messages - I sent something through to you a week or two ago.

Ta

Mike

huge draft if not covered

There is no reason to do anything with it. The fairing will cover it......build on.....

The flap fairing is open. If you don't make a cover for that hole, it will be pretty cold in the back seat. (It kind of is already - do everything you can to seal up holes to the outside, namely fabric sleaves to seal where the aileron pushrods and the vent tube come into the fuselage.)

Well - it is exactly where the step would go.

I am just surprised that there isn't a reference in the instructions to a cover plate or something.

I can see the efficacy of using the same parts on 8 and 8A but until I get closer to the finish, I am not sure where the flap fairing goes.

The more I see of these Philippine kits, the less I am liking them.....

Bring back CZAW !

What is CZAW ? I had a quick build from 6 years ago and the work was pretty decent. Has the standard dropped ?

Vans used to get some kits assembled in the Czech Republic - that is where our 7 was assembled and the build quality was better than the 8 we have now. Less scratches, bumps, average rivets, etc. Also it was fully primed with epoxy primer inside, not wash primer.

Can't complain too much though. The price is rght for the amount of work done prior to delivery ;)

Looks a bit like the hole I put on the fuse of my 8 for the step.
FWIW, as I get older and the knees get creakier, I decided to put a step on my tail-wheeler to assist with the climb from terra-firma. Have seen a couple with the step.... no ground clearance issues and a nice easy transition to the wing-walk.

Back