What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall guys in 8s?

Doug Lewis

Well Known Member
I've been itching to start on an -8 project but the only thing stopping me is the question of if I'll fit. I'm 6'6" with 38" inseam. Today someone was kind enough to let me try their 8A on and everything was fine except the leg room. Unfortunately he had the old style not easily adjusted pedals and they were set one notch behind the furthest forward position. I could get my feet into position, but my knees were bent out against the sides of the plane. The "tall guys" option appears to just recline the seat slightly rather than give any more leg room. Any other mutants out there that could give feedback?

Sky, Thanks much for the link! It's good to hear from others who've actually sat in the plane. Can I ask what route youre taking?

Doug

Doug, first time I sat in the 8, had same issue as you, but I was wearing a heavy coat. Second time I tried it on, I was wearing a light jacket and had no issues. The 8 I was in had the in-flight adjustable pedals, set all the way forward. At this point, I don't think I will go with the tall pilot option, and instead try to handle the issue by thickness of seat back padding. If you have the opportunity, might "try on" a couple of other 8's. I hope to check out at least one more before I place my order for the fuse (probably 3 to 4 months away). Best of luck in your search.

Sky

Thanks Charlie, that certainly looks doable and the pictures are a big help as well. Scott at Vans sent measurements from the seat pan to the pedals pushed all the way forward to compare it to the one I sat in to see how much room thats available.

Doug

Doug
I am 6'7" & 250. I am in the process building a QB 8 and share your concerns. The main reason I went for the 8 is because Vans told they 6'10' pilots flying them. I suspect there have been some poetic licence in quoting the measurements..... anyway....

I have the tall pilot seat brace option and have moved the seat hinge rearwards by about 1.2". Only problem is the seat belt mounts which now touch the seat back.... they are already installed on my QB. I think I can shorten them by about 1/2" without having to drill out and re-make and may have to modify the holes in the seatback through which the seatbelt passes. With the adjustable rudder pedals full forward I think I will have enough room - but may have to step outside to change my mind.....
I had my first sit in the partially completed cockpit yesterday on a couple of pillows and it seemed ok.

Regards,

Don Muir

One thing that helped me

I got the ground adjustable rudder pedals, they allow my feet to slide under the rudder pedals and rest on the firewall. This is a very comfortable position for me and I am 6'6" with a 36 inseam. The 8 is big enough that you can make it fit, might have to give up some padding in the seat cushion and seat back but it will work.

Randy

Just a follow up. My wife and I took a drive to Portland, ND this weekend where one of the forum members here offered his tall modified 8 as a test fit. What a difference! No real issues at all with about 4" of foam under me. His seat hinge had been moved back as far as it could while maintaining stock stick clearance in the back seat, and the tall option used at the top. The only thing I may do in addition is add some small knee wide cutouts in the bottom of the dash. Knees didn't hit, but I could see it'd be close if we put much foam behind. Headrooms not an issue at all.

Thank you Lance and Bob for letting me play in your 8's. Once again everyone we've met in this community has been wonderful. Started the practice kit today. Tail kit should be ordered tomorrow.

Back