What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ARRRG! From 14 weeks to 24

rileyspoon

Ordered my wings on November 5th with an estimated crate date of February 8th. The 8th came and went with no word so two weeks ago I asked for an update and was told they were waiting on wing spars but it should be soon. Today I'm told , sorry but it will be at least another month.

I'm retired and my wife is not and she is working from home.:eek:

I think she may be ready to go back to the office.....

I would say something is bit off the mark in Van’s schedule/shipping departments. I ordered new engine mount WD-1220 a week ago Monday and specifically asked if it was in stock. Answer was… it doesn’t look like it’s on back order. I took that to mean it’s in stock so I placed the order.

I kept checking email for tracking number and online credit card statement for Van’s charge. After a couple of days, I called again and order dept transferred my call to the shipping department. It was then that I got the bad news – qty 68pcs on BO and not due into Van’s until mid-May.

Seems to me that a new system is in order to keep customers better informed. Maybe similar to Amazon where you get confirming email w/ order number and expected ship date. This would save a lot of phone calls back/forth.

Have you caught any of the posts from Van's on the web page about the problems they have been dealing with? Generally things run pretty smoothly, but they have been dealing with some challenging circumstances for the last year. Maybe you just haven't heard? :rolleyes:

That said, I think we have all noticed the impact and it's concerning. It seems like a tough situation for any company to navigate. The reality is that what we builders experience as delays for individual hobby projects, is a sustained disruption to business and revenue. No matter how well they have their stuff together, it seems like a tough haul.

Anyway, I have been taking advantage of the delay on my finish kit to make progress on less selfish ventures around the house and family. I've had about enough of that and I'm making my way back to finishing up the fuse shortly.

I would say something is bit off the mark in Van’s schedule/shipping departments. I ordered new engine mount WD-1220 a week ago Monday and specifically asked if it was in stock. Answer was… it doesn’t look like it’s on back order. I took that to mean it’s in stock so I placed the order.

I kept checking email for tracking number and online credit card statement for Van’s charge. After a couple of days, I called again and order dept transferred my call to the shipping department. It was then that I got the bad news – qty 68pcs on BO and not due into Van’s until mid-May.

Seems to me that a new system is in order to keep customers better informed. Maybe similar to Amazon where you get confirming email w/ order number and expected ship date. This would save a lot of phone calls back/forth.

Well the good news is that my fuselage was scheduled to crate on March 3rd and so I asked Vans if it could be shipped since the wings were delayed. They said they thought they could get that out soon.

Got my fingers crossed.

I know it is frustrating but many businesses are dealing with supply chain problems. This Pandemic has affected my business, and I am afraid we may be dealing with supply issues for quite some time before things get straightened out.

So we are all going to need to be patient, I am sure Van's is dealing with it the best they can. I know we are in our business and it is frustrating for everyone.

Right. Pandemic is a start for the setbacks. Now add business interruptions for wildfires, freezing storms, and power outages for several days at a time.

I know it is frustrating but many businesses are dealing with supply chain problems. This Pandemic has affected my business, and I am afraid we may be dealing with supply issues for quite some time before things get straightened out.

So we are all going to need to be patient, I am sure Van's is dealing with it the best they can. I know we are in our business and it is frustrating for everyone.

And a big uptick in orders and it has been a tough year for Van's

And as someone who tries to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Van’s - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Our kit companies are not Amazon - you can give them slack, or not, but not doing so isn’t going to increase their production anyway- no matter how much they want to do so!

Paul

Last edited:
And as someone who ties to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Van’s - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Our kit companies are not Amazon - you can give them slack, or not, but not doing so isn’t going to increase their production anyway- no matter how much they want to do so!

Paul

I agree Paul, but we as customers were are allowed to expect a certain level of customer service. A lot of the complaints are due to a lack of COMMUNICATION and in my opinion only, that should be one of the easier things take care of. If a company has supply chain problems and doesn't have product, then so be it... But picking up a phone and making a phone call to customers shouldn't be that hard! And I will openly state at this time, Van's and I are all good right now, but again, COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

Bad to worse

So I was all excited about Van's saying they would be able to ship my fuselage in place of my wings since they were waiting on wing spars. Been watching for that email saying the shipment was delivered to the trucking company.

Instead I get an email that I knew I didn't really want to open just based on the subject line.

Neither wings nor fuselage are coming. Now an 8 week delay on fuselage and 5 more weeks delay on wings. POOP!

On a positive note: Did get a delivery notification from Steinair so looks like my panel and avionics will be here tomorrow. Maybe I can prop it up in front of the tail section and pretend.:(

Not sure I follow. Yes I'm certainly an amateur builder but I'm building the straight kit from Van's for the 12iS. It is my understanding they ship whatever avionics you choose to Steinair and they make up all the cabling and test it. I opted for the screen printed panel so I guess they (Van's) shipped it along with the Dynon panels to Seinair and that is what is coming back to me. Or it may just be the Dynon stuff and the cables and the actual panel is shipped with the finish kit? However, I thought if I ordered the screen printed instrument panel it would be shipped to Steinair along with the Dynon panels and Steinair would mount everything in the panel and send it back with the premade cables.

Have I missed something here? Anyway, I'll know for sure tomorrow if UPS does what the tracking say they will.

Add me to the list!

I, too, have just received a notice of delay from Van's. I finds it hard to believe Covid is responsible for all the excessive delays. And yes, I have read Van's posted reasons.

I ordered my fuselage kit on 9-24-20, with an expected crating date of 3-20-21. I am now told delivery will be delayed "AT LEAST 8 weeks". They offered to ship what is available now and the remainder latter. Or, withhold the entire kit until it is complete. I suggested Van's offer a more detailed reason for the delay, other than just saying they were out of a part.

I also suggested Van's offer their customers a third option: "I would suggest a third (option)... a customer friendly offer. That would include an option to have the available parts shipped to reliable customers and bill them only after ALL the kit parts have been shipped. For folks like me, that would negate having to leave my dedicated build space dormant for ???? weeks and not require customers to pay for something not knowing when they will receive a workable kit. The term “...at least” in your delay notice makes me nervous."

Vans did offer to refund my money for the wings and the fuselage. But I've already paid for the whole airplane up front so I declined that offer since it would mean that I would have to deal with the wire transfer mess all over again. I too asked if they would ship my wing kit w/o the spars so I could get started on the prep work and then they could just ship the spars when they were available which seemed reasonable since the spars ship in a completely separate crate anyway, but they were not receptive to that idea. They told me the fuselage center sections were the reason for the delay on the fuselage.

I got my avionics today so at least that part is here. I was also told there did not seem to be any delay on the finish kit or the prop and engine so I'm hoping those will be along the first of April.

Received my Finish kit last week after a 10 week wait. Which was the quoted time when I made the order. The problem is there are so many back ordered parts that we can't proceed comfortably with any of the sections for fear of over looking something. Every section has missing parts.

Received my Finish kit last week after a 10 week wait. Which was the quoted time when I made the order. The problem is there are so many back ordered parts that we can't proceed comfortably with any of the sections for fear of over looking something. Every section has missing parts.

I got my finish kit week before last, within a couple weeks of the time frame quoted when I ordered. The delays didn't add up as bad as they warned. In my case, I would have been happy to wait a few more weeks because I'm not done with the fuse. Now I have a big box in the way!

Same situation with several backordered items including the landing gear which would be an early step. Not as big of a problem for me but hopefully those items are not several months out.

And as someone who tries to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Van’s - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Paul

Plus as small businesses they can't just pour money and capital at the problem and expand since the surge may be short lived.

Just an observation as a long-time consumer....best way for a company to deal with supply chain delays and other issues beyond their control it to up their communication with their customers. People can understand delays...but in this era of texts/emails/websites, lack of customer communication about those delays only compounds the irritation.

I totally agree with the posters that are emphasizing communications is key when dealing with these sorts of problems. COVID is not a valid excuse to not communicate. People are understanding, if they know what’s going on.

Bad news does not get better by withholding it.

I have to agree with folks on the communication. I know Van’s can’t scale production or facilities easily- but they can scale communication. I received my finish kit with many back ordered parts, which I anticipated. I have received zero communication from Van’s on when those parts might be delivered. I would even be happy with “Here’s why we have no idea, but we can offer a guess.” I know I tread awfully close to public scorn, but outside of the excellent technical support, I have not seen the level of individual communication I would expect from a company that is receiving a minimum of $70k-ish from each customer.

I have to agree with folks on the communication. I know Van’s can’t scale production or facilities easily- but they can scale communication. I received my finish kit with many back ordered parts, which I anticipated. I have received zero communication from Van’s on when those parts might be delivered. I would even be happy with “Here’s why we have no idea, but we can offer a guess.” I know I tread awfully close to public scorn, but outside of the excellent technical support, I have not seen the level of individual communication I would expect from a company that is receiving a minimum of $70k-ish from each customer.

I agree completely.

I couldn't agree more. I had confirmation my finish kit shipped last week after a 2 month delay from the original crate date, but still with a list of back ordered parts (gear legs, engine mount standoff, torque arms, canopy gas struts, steps, and some other bits and pieces), so not really sure what i'll be able to work on when it arrives.
When I asked for an approximate timeframe to get the missing parts all I was told was to wait a month or so after the kit ships and then enquire again.
As you say, its totally understandable given the circumstances that there are supply chain issues and back ordered parts, but it's the lack of any meaningful comms which is frustrating and make it hard to plan around.
Vans have been great to deal with in every other aspect except this, so really hope they can fix this up.

Add me to the list. Just found out the eight week lead-time for the Avionics I ordered six weeks ago is now a 6 Month lead-time at best. :mad:

I chatted to Greg Hughes at Vans yesterday with similar feedback to others. They have had made some management changes and there are a bunch of challenges, they have some improvement plans in the works.

Like others Communication is the most frustrating. Told stuff had been shipped multiple times - then put through to the shipping dept. to be told still waiting on parts.

For the wings I would ask for the ribs to be shipped - small package which will give you a week of work, fluting, cutting, deburring etc

Robert

Add me to the list. Just found out the eight week lead-time for the Avionics I ordered six weeks ago is now a 6 Month lead-time at best. :mad:

And here's the dilemma. Should we order avionics and other critical items extra early, so as to avoid almost inevitable price rises and delayed deliveries... at the risk of obsolescence, expiring warranties and possibly vendors that fold? I don't know that there is a right answer in the present and future environment. Bit of a first world problem, really.

And here's the dilemma. Should we order avionics and other critical items extra early, so as to avoid almost inevitable price rises and delayed deliveries... at the risk of obsolescence, expiring warranties and possibly vendors that fold? I don't know that there is a right answer in the present and future environment. Bit of a first world problem, really.

Yep. Same question that I'm struggling over. I'm close to the end of the fuse kit, and I have half the finish kit (minus the backordered items). I have parts prepped and expect pretty quick progress through the fall. Seems like something that has to be timed careful but based on a lot of guesswork.

I notice that for avionics the longer lead time is unique to Garmin. I plan to use Garmin and have no intention of switching, but it adds another element wondering whether Garmin is likely to be clearing up supply problems or having things run even longer as time goes on.

Does anyone have experience with the situation improving since June? I ordered my empennage kit only April 1 (uh, oh!) and was given a crating date of next week. Am I being overly optimistic that it might actually be on schedule?

I figure I'm going to try to order the wing and fuselage kits together so I have more flexibility in ordering the expensive final kits down the road.

Just to chime in on the supply side issues. The company that I work for is seeing lead-times on some parts that used to be 12 weeks go to 52 weeks for these specialized ICs. How do we keep the production line moving? We ended up paying an "expedite surcharge" to the manufacturer. There are many challenges to production these days steel, wood and semiconductors are all in short supply. So yes I would order your avionic early. You are probably too late to avoid a delay, but it may get worse before it gets better.

Back