What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Laying out VS dimensions - changes??

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I'm now starting on building a new VS as the one that came with the plane had been hacked.

However, my plans are dated 1992(1) and the dimensions given seem to bear no resemblance to the dimensions of the new VS skin that I am working with.

My skin seems to be short at the top and to have been trimmed at a greater angle of the bottom.

Plans show a total distance across the top of 12 5/8" but I only have 115/8" and at the bottom edge the trim distance is given as 1 3/8" and actually measure 1 3/4".

I understand that a common problem in RV-4s is that the front bottom corner of the VS impinges on the top surface of the rear deck so I'm wondering if this is an attempt to increase clearance.

Could someone with a more up-to-date version of the plans take a look and let me know some of these dimensions please - drawing 6A in my version?

Thanks

Chris:confused::confused::confused:

VS Plans

Chris,

I used a set of new plans to build a new VS for my c1987 RV-4. You can borrow the relevant section if you like?

regards

Tim

Chris

I have a full set in the UK not to far from you. I have RVER RV4 in the UK. It was as per old plans as its a pre 91 build and re done to more updated plans as past of the pre buy, to meet any possible issues in the UK before import.

I did try to message you a while back via private message on this site( top right)
Pm me
brgds RUss

I have an older kit and I purchased the updated builder plans about 3 years ago.
The date on page 6a is 1-1-92, the last rev was R4.
Unless Van did an update in the last 3 years, these are the latest dimensions.

Mine shows 1 3/8 for the dimension on the bottom leading edge and the top shows 11 1/2.

I also have the original plans from 1980. Interestingly they show the exact same dimensions.
If your skins are different, maybe you got ones from an RV-3 or something else.

All is now clear!!!!

Many thanks to you all for replies, sent me plans or emails with plans included. Fortunately I had DONE NOTHING to any metal. Naively, I now realise, I had thought the skin was trimmed to correct size..... and it isn't.:eek::eek::eek:

After an hour or so of careful measuring, laying out and rechecking, I now see how it fits together and that the skin needs a bit of trimming.

One lesson I have learned with building my RV-8 and now RV-4 is to do nothing if it doesn't make sense or doesn't seem right. So I haven't trashed a skin, and the dimensions clearly have not changed since 1992!

Cheers

Chris

Back