What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin heat intake on Sam James Cowl

jneves

Well Known Member
Edit a 3rd search with the right terms got my answer.

First mod on the new to me RV-6A is going to be cabin heat, he muff, cabin box/diverter, etc.. is all straight forward. My issue is where to draw intake air from. I currently have zero issues with temps and didnt want to go through trial and error if someone has already done this and knew the answer.

Where, in the plenum should I/are you, pulling fresh air from? Called SJ, but the new owners have not ran across this yet so they are not sure how to address it.

Again I can go through trial and error, but wanted to check to see what other's have done.

Last edited:
on the baffle behind #3 cyl

Hi, I have a James cowl and plenum. I get air from the rear baffle behind #3 cylinder. Easy to plumb down to the heat muff mounted on the right side exhaust. I haven't given it a hard test yet since it's been pretty nice weather up here in the NW but that seems to be changing fast.
Hope this at least gives you an option.
danny

I took air from behind the #3 cylinder also with no problems. I ran it that way for about 20 years in all kinds of weather. I am in Michigan but it does get hot and humid here. I just finished my RV8 with a James cowl and plenum, I am using air from behind the #3 cylinder for that too, no problems so far, Its been about 2 months and 60 hours.

Thank you both very much. Seems to be the consensus across the board. Appreciate the confirmation. Now off to prep for the cooler weather.

I source the cabin heater air in front of #1 with a 1.5” dia tube.
Two muffs in series, flown down to 0 F OAT with adequate cabin temps.

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 156
This last response lead me to another question, how many muffs does one need. I’m in California and don’t expect to be flying much below 40*F. And even then don’t fly much at those temps.

New Jersey: Pick up behind #3 and two muffs in series with stainless steel wool stuffed in them. It's OK, but my wife would like more hot air.

Thank you all very much, going to start with one muff and intake behind the #3 like others. Also will use the restricted intake size to lower flow but increase heat transfer. Lots of great ideas from you all.

Back