What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone gotten a -12iS kit recently, or getting one soon?

Care to share your builder & order number, and when it went to crating?

I’ve got the first four -12iS kits on order, but my order page has no crating estimates, even though the tail kit is 6 weeks past the “lead time” estimate as of Oshkosh ’21, when I ordered it. If enough people share this info, those of us waiting will be able to see the queue progress over time.

(I'm builder #121426, if that helps anyone)

Thanks!

I ordered my tail kit end of April, it was shipped in September.

My wing kit was ordered first week of May, and had a crate date in early November on the order ack. It has not entered the crating stage yet.

Thanks, Joe - hope your building’s going well! I just double-checked: none of my order acknowledgements have an estimated crating date, so they technically haven’t let me down yet :p

#121298. Finish kit ordered late may, no word. Powerplant ordered mid July, currently assigned to crating. Avionics ordered mid September, no word.

Kit 121366: Tail received mid April

Wings Paid In Full: April 26 & just entered crating queue for Jan 31 - Feb 11

Fuse Paid In Full: May 21 & Parts Being Produced

Finish Paid In Full: July 15 & Parts Being Produced

Builder #121423. Ordered Tail Kit two weeks before Oshkosh. Status still shows "Parts Being Produced". Lead time at time of order was 4 months. Patiently waiting....

Jon

Finish kit ordered in February. Received letter in early August giving a crate date of 8/31. Still waiting...

February empennage and wings ordered, received empennage March, wings October.
April fuselage ordered, still waiting.
July Finishing kit ordered, still waiting.

Fuse kit ordered in March. Got notice early this fall that it was due for crating. Now they have no ship date and no date by which they will estimate a ship date. It appears Vans is waiting on parts from suppliers who are unable to give delivery dates.

Ordered empennage on 4/1, entered crating on 8/1, delivered 9/26.

Ordered Wing and Fuselage kit on 8/6 and was told at the time that lead time on wings was estimated at 7 months and fuselage 8 months. Still holding on to hope that I'll see them by next summer, but no updates yet.

Ordered last May - Shipped last week

Hi all,
Order a Emp/tail, fuse, wing and finishing kits last May. Tail kit was listed as "assigned to crating" for the last 4 weeks. I received an email from ABF Freight that the kit was picked up last week and scheduled to reach Carlisle PA tomorrow (1/25) still 5 hours from my home in NY. Status was listed as "Assigned to crating" for 4 days after it shipped, now says "shipped". All others are listed as "parts being produced".

I know Vans isn't at fault for shipping costs but as an FYI to all. I was told today that my shipping cost is $1326.00 to NY. That's only for the tail kit, a kit that cost me $3800 +/-

It is what it is, excited to finally get a kit so I can start building, I had to sell my 172 two years ago to afford to buy an RV so I haven't flown much over the last couple of years though I did start rusty pilot training 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Tangentially related, I see that the lead times on the wing, fuselage and finishing kits was updated to 11 months sometime in the last few days.

I ordered my finishing kit September 1st and at that time the website had a lead time of 8 months. When I looked in December, I think it was 11 months on the website. No crating date yet but we will see. :)

I ordered my RV12-is finish kit last Feb. Latest status is waiting parts. Originally planned to crate last August, and then updated to Nov.

Has anyone actually received a finish kit since last summer? I’m starting to believe it’s been 6 months or more since Van’s has shipped a finish kit.

I ordered my RV12-is finish kit last Feb. Latest status is waiting parts. Originally planned to crate last August, and then updated to Nov.

Has anyone actually received a finish kit since last summer? I’m starting to believe it’s been 6 months or more since Van’s has shipped a finish kit.

That would probably be consistent with the switch over to batching of kits. You know...the big plan they came up with over a year ago to fix lead times! :rolleyes:

It seems like a bunch of guys just got tail kits. Everyone else got the same old excuses in a new video format to watch.

Announce deliveries?

Maybe we could switch to members announcing receipt of kits, and include how long the actual wait was.

That might be less…depressing ?

:eek:

Shipping costs- OMG

I know Vans isn't at fault for shipping costs but as an FYI to all. I was told today that my shipping cost is $1326.00 to NY. That's only for the tail kit, a kit that cost me $3800 +/-

Holy cow- I had no idea shipping would be that much....for the smallest kit- mind blowing. Does it save any money to have the entire kit ship together? Based on that shipping could be like $6,000+ all-in. :eek:

It's highly unlikely they would have 2 kits ready to ship at the same time and they don't have the space to store kits waiting for the next one.

Holy cow- I had no idea shipping would be that much....for the smallest kit- mind blowing. Does it save any money to have the entire kit ship together? Based on that shipping could be like $6,000+ all-in. :eek:

RV-12iS Kit Order Status

Hi. Builder 121245. RV-12iS Fuselage, Finish, Powerplant and Avionics all ordered last Sept 2021. No word. Can't seem to get a reliable update. Wings and Empennage received and assembled - they were fortunately ordered near the start of the pandemic.

Thanks! Keep the updates coming please!

Thanks everyone for sharing - things look pretty grim, but I was happy to see at least one tail kit currently on the way (congratulations, Ben!):

Order a Emp/tail, fuse, wing and finishing kits last May. Tail kit was listed as "assigned to crating" for the last 4 weeks. I received an email from ABF Freight that the kit was picked up last week and scheduled to reach Carlisle PA tomorrow (1/25) still 5 hours from my home in NY. Status was listed as "Assigned to crating" for 4 days after it shipped, now says "shipped". All others are listed as "parts being produced".

When the last Greg/Rian video said that they're shipping 8 containers (of 100 kits each) to the quickbuilders this year, I was worried that they weren't making any progress in -12 kits -- and after this survey, it definitely doesn't seem like they're making much.

Hey Van's, please prove me wrong: even if you can't give me an estimate of when my kits will go to crating, it seems like you could be more open about progress being made in each kit "queue": on the kit status page, tell me how many kits are currently ahead of each of my kit orders. Doesn't seem like this would reveal much proprietary information, your database knows (and it's not a heavy query to perform), and wouldn't require any estimation magic... and the status page would at least change from time to time (I hope).

If nothing else, this survey made me feel a bit better that I wasn't the only one suffering through this - again, thanks all.

...Bryan

Time Warp

Just for a comparison, my emp kit and fasteners cost $2,800 seven years ago and freight to Iowa was $175. (12 ULS).

There's hope!

Just for a comparison, my emp kit and fasteners cost $2,800 seven years ago and freight to Iowa was $175. (12 ULS).

That gives me some hope that freight will moderate somewhat by the time my tail kit ships...ordered in August, so expecting April/May.

Hang in there everybody.

Hey Van's, please prove me wrong: even if you can't give me an estimate of when my kits will go to crating, it seems like you could be more open about progress being made in each kit "queue": on the kit status page, tell me how many kits are currently ahead of each of my kit orders. Doesn't seem like this would reveal much proprietary information, your database knows (and it's not a heavy query to perform), and wouldn't require any estimation magic... and the status page would at least change from time to time (I hope).

...Bryan

I think they don't know that information in any reliable sense, and publishing it would just lead to more problems. The people talking about it being proprietary and tipping off the competition are giving them way too much credit. They've lost control of tracking orders and production and I would guess that they don't know the crating queue more than a couple batches out.

They tried to do a kit status portal and it was junk data. As mentioned a few posts back they have published parts shipments for years. I think they would love to tell us if they could figure it out.

Whether one is worse than the other is up to your own interpretation.

I know Vans isn't at fault for shipping costs but as an FYI to all. I was told today that my shipping cost is $1326.00 to NY. That's only for the tail kit.....

Oh my, I heard prices were going up, but wow!. Please don't hate me, but shipping my empennage kit to rural NH in September was only $367. Now I'm apprehensive about what my next kit's going to cost.

Just under $500 for a Powerplant kit to southern CA. Should arrive at the house Monday or Tuesday. I wish it was the finishing kit instead.

Just under $500 for a Powerplant kit to southern CA. Should arrive at the house Monday or Tuesday. I wish it was the finishing kit instead.

And you 18mo warranty clock begins ticking -- vans needs to work a deal on changing the start of the warranty as the builder planned the purchases in good faith to arrive in order. Now the builder is paying the price of vans being behind more than rotax.

And you 18mo warranty clock begins ticking -- vans needs to work a deal on changing the start of the warranty as the builder planned the purchases in good faith to arrive in order. Now the builder is paying the price of vans being behind more than rotax.

I brought this up in another thread and there was a reply from one of the Van's employees that IMO just muddied the water. As their disclaimers make clear it's a personal opinion and should not be taken as official communication from Van's and it's important to respect that, but it at least suggests to me that the Rotax warranty for -12 builders is a blind spot. I didn't want to press it, but have been waiting to see if Van's decides to communicate something about this to -12 builders. If they had or got something in place with Rotax it would be easy for them to say so.

Agree 100%

Meanwhile my finishing kit is mostly done and I'd love to get started on my power plant. Yours is probably passing by my house on 99 some time today.

Picked up my tail/emp kit yesterday

Picked up my Tail Kit yesterday from the local ABF terminal- cost me $765 shipping to NY. Saved $216 by picking it up at their terminal. Ordered last May. At least now I have something to work on while waiting for my other kits to arrive. BTW, no damage to the outside of the crate opening it up tomorrow to check for any concealed damage and start the inventory! ABF couldn't of been more accommodating! In fact they sent me an email to track delivery while VAN's status website still indicated it was in crating.

Last edited:
Here’s mine in the back of my Chevy Colorado - 5’ bed.

Attachments

• BBC6B481-B0E7-494F-A192-27A94F7C6E08.jpg
    BBC6B481-B0E7-494F-A192-27A94F7C6E08.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 161
Here’s mine in the back of my Chevy Colorado - 5’ bed.

I was wondering if it would work… I’ll be moving mine the same way.
Annnnnnd I just got word that I’ve moved up to the crating stage. :D

Last edited:
Wing Kit on the way!

I just received the bill of lading from ABF for my Wing Kit to be picked up Monday. :)

This is right in the middle of my 2 week Crating Date range. While I ordered the kit in late April, I'm encouraged that Van's hit their crating date estimate.

Shipping to southwest Colorado is $783 for home delivery. :(

I also got the email today that my tail kit is going to crating and should be ready "mid-February". Progress!

(Edited to add: Builder 121426, order 179443, ordered during Oshkosh week last year.)

Last edited:
got my Powerplant kit last week from the Mothership, Avionics in a week, waiting on finish kit ordered july 2021. #121295

Got my engine last week too - max when did you order your avionics? I been waiting on that for a while too. Anyone get a finish kit in the last 8 months?

Finish kit ordered in February. Received letter in early August giving a crate date of 8/31. Still waiting...

Just received a Bill Of Lading from ABF for my finishing kit! Order placed 2/20/21.

Last edited:
Got my engine last week too - max when did you order your avionics? I been waiting on that for a while too. Anyone get a finish kit in the last 8 months?

My power plant kit (August order) shows 'Parts in Production' and I get non-answers from Van's. If the batching thing is real I guess I'll be waiting for the next round of whatever it is Van's can't manufacture. Avionics kit ordered and paid in similar time frame doesn't even show up on the kit status portal.

Finish kit stuff is mostly done aside from the things that are best delayed until avionics and engine are in. I re-organized and re-arranged the garage for third time last night. I guess it's time to go rewire the hangar or similar to pass the time.

Picked up emp today

This afternoon I picked up the empennage kit which was sent over via air freight to here (Northern Ireland) last week. Arrived at depot and cleared customs yesterday.

Ordered last April, so very glad to be finally starting the inventory.

Attachments

• 2DCCB03B-4D6C-48C0-BF11-6E60BB5C4FD1.jpg
    2DCCB03B-4D6C-48C0-BF11-6E60BB5C4FD1.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 75
I spoke to Van’s about Avionics kit not showing. It never will, they don’t list the Avionics on there yet. Didn’t understand the reason but they said something about the website wasn’t connected to that database yet or something like that. Seems weird that it would be a completely separate system.

My power plant kit (August order) shows 'Parts in Production' and I get non-answers from Van's. If the batching thing is real I guess I'll be waiting for the next round of whatever it is Van's can't manufacture. Avionics kit ordered and paid in similar time frame doesn't even show up on the kit status portal.

Finish kit stuff is mostly done aside from the things that are best delayed until avionics and engine are in. I re-organized and re-arranged the garage for third time last night. I guess it's time to go rewire the hangar or similar to pass the time.

july 20th 2021 i ordered engine, avionics and finish kit. i called stein first week of February. they said my avionics kit just moved into the production line, said it takes 12 days to be ready to ship out. vans did send a notification e mail when the avionics kit was shipped to Stein.

if i have to drag this plane to OSH 2022 I will, i would rather fly it. If i can get the finish kit by april, i might just make it.

july 20th 2021 i ordered engine, avionics and finish kit. i called stein first week of February. they said my avionics kit just moved into the production line, said it takes 12 days to be ready to ship out. vans did send a notification e mail when the avionics kit was shipped to Stein.

if i have to drag this plane to OSH 2022 I will, i would rather fly it. If i can get the finish kit by april, i might just make it.

Thanks...hoping to be done then too. I ordered engine and finish kit July 7 - avionics in Sept. and was just told there are no screens so they never sent anything to Stein yet I am assuming...maybe waiting to see if they change the connectors or sizes or something on the re-design...unknown. Just hoping the finish kit arrives on-schedule in March but looks sketchy given that order in Feb just shipped (yikes).

I’m watching your finishing kit closely in this thread as mine was order September 1st. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Thanks...hoping to be done then too. I ordered engine and finish kit July 7 - avionics in Sept. and was just told there are no screens so they never sent anything to Stein yet I am assuming...maybe waiting to see if they change the connectors or sizes or something on the re-design...unknown. Just hoping the finish kit arrives on-schedule in March but looks sketchy given that order in Feb just shipped (yikes).

I just ordered the Powerplant and I'm working on the Finish kit. Is there anything I can do in the Finish kit after the sections on flight controls and landing gear are complete while I wait? Looks like the cowling and canopy will need to wait. It looks like I should get the Avionics ordered as well. TIA

Back