What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motivation?

douglassmt

Well Known Member
Just finished a pretty special trip with a very old friend. We left Missoula (KMSO) Tuesday morning at daylight, flew to SLC to pick up a young friend and student pilot. From SLC we flew to southern Nevada where I had a couple hours of work to do and got lunch. From there we flew to the Grand Canyon for a complete bottom to top tour of the canyon. We are floating the canyon in a few days and we wanted to see it all from the air. After landing at Page for gas and leg stretch, we motored over to see Monument Valley from low altitude, then headed back to SLC arriving just at dark to spend the night. This morning we returned to Missoula. Over 12 hours of flight time, 9.5 of it yesterday, something like 1600 miles, unbelievable scenery shared with good friends, inspired a young student pilot (might be a future RV builder now), and did it all in a remarkably short period of time. You've all seen pictures of the scenery before, but you should see it in person!

Oh, and the trip brought me to about 495 hours on the plane in almost exactly two years, it's been a hoot.

Overall flight path
2014Marchforeflight_zpsb9683a1c.png

Bottom of the canyon, near the takeout
DSC_0037_zps5e4202dc.jpg

DSC_0090_zps069354ea.jpg

Lava Falls rapids, one of the most notorious on the river
DSC_0085_zpsf626dec9.jpg

Just spectacular
DSC_0103_zps3e76f142.jpg

The upper end of the river, Marble Canyon
DSC_0130_zpsdcff89e8.jpg

Marble Canyon airstrip, near the float put in
DSC_0135_zps6c29c9cb.jpg

Lake Powell
DSC_0142_zps88cd31ef.jpg

Monument Valley
DSC_0173_zps5fe32b27.jpg

DSC_01772_zps07765122.jpg

Amazing trip, wouldn't be possible without this plane. Keep pounding! It's all worth it.

Last edited:
incredible

Bryan.
Wow! Great write up...you are all about making a difference in someone else life....Good on you!!
Next time few folks from WA like to tag along:)

Ps.I am confused how u managed to make it back home with the 650 onboard:)

Bryan.
Wow! Great write up...you are all about making a difference in someone else life....Good on you!!
Next time few folks from WA like to tag along:)

Ps.I am confused how u managed to make it back home with the 650 onboard:)

The 650 is amazing, you just have to think which way you want to go, and it takes you there. I think it's a form of advanced bluetooth. Too bad you don't have one.

That's so cool

That's so cool, but all I can think about is flying sideways through between those peaks for fun, lol:p

That is not just motivation, that is my dream trip!

I am new to the Vans forum and considering building an RV7. That is not just motivation, that is my dream trip. I lived in northern Utah back in 1986 and I keep coming back. It is such beautiful country. I have trailered by boat from Alabama to Lake Powell twice and would love to fly over it. If you have more pictures, please post :)

Me too

That's so cool, but all I can think about is flying sideways through between those peaks for fun, lol:p

I had exactly the same thought, I'm sure it's been done, but I didn't want to get too low since it's over a National Monument. I kept thinking there might be some irritated Navajo down there with a rifle who knew how far to lead me. No holes found...yet.

I can't wait.

Wow! You got the caption right, it's definitely motivation.

Been putting in 8 to 10 hours a day on my project (just retired) and just now decided to quit for the day, I'm pooped! :p Checked the VAF site and found this travel post.:D
I heading back down to the shop. Thanks for the MOTIVATION! :)
These are the kind of posts that really keep me from giving up. ;)

Excellent!

Been putting in 8 to 10 hours a day on my project (just retired) and just now decided to quit for the day, I'm pooped! :p Checked the VAF site and found this travel post.:D
I heading back down to the shop. Thanks for the MOTIVATION! :)
These are the kind of posts that really keep me from giving up. ;)

You made MY day. Don't give up. You won't believe how much fun these planes are.

Grand Canyon

We did the Grand Canyon two years ago in April. Awesome! Just programed the Lat/Lon waypoints into the 430W and let the autopilot take us across.
Also Sedona and Meteor Crater.... Arizona is awsome from the air..
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A
375 hrs.

Hi Bryan,
very nice trip! Usually I am a few levels higher over these beautiful places. Is my RV-10 ticket still valid ??

Herman

DSC_0173_zps5fe32b27.jpg

Bryan your ten can fit easy in there. Last time I checked there was at least 4 feet clearance from wingtips :D

Vlad, of course

I wasn't going to say it in response to the earlier post, but what I was thinking was: "I bet Vlad did it!"

We did the Grand Canyon two years ago in April. Awesome! Just programed the Lat/Lon waypoints into the 430W and let the autopilot take us across.
Also Sedona and Meteor Crater.... Arizona is awsome from the air..
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A
375 hrs.

I bought the GC VFR Chart but when I got down there, all the restricted airspace was shown nicely on my AFS EFIS, which made navigating the restricted spaces very easy indeed.

Invitation

I live in the middle of the state of Utah within an hour of most of this country in my 6A. Open invite if someone is planning a trip out this way for free room. We have a nice airport, U14 , three miles from my home. It is a spectactular place to fly. There's always something to see. If you are out this way don't pass up Bryce Canyon, Zions Natl. Park, Canyonlands and Lake Powell all within an hour or so from where I live.

Lower Antelope Canyon

Brian,

You should have stopped and seen the Lower Antelope Canyon while you stretching your legs at Page. It's a short rental car ride but well worth it.

Back