What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"I Don't Think We're In Texas Anymore Tsam...."

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Somewhere close to the highest point in the Lower 48....the Mountain Banshee finds a home!

IMG_2878.JPG

Photo taken by "Scotty" from the back seat of Dayton Murdock's RV-4

Last edited:
Is that some where near pikes peak? A far cry from Florida scenery. I like it.

Now Turbo, we all know you put more traveling hours on your machines than anybody, but we need to get you off the east coast and west of the Mississippi sometime! :) California's Sierra Nevada is the home of Mt. Whitney, highest point in the lower 48.

Beautiful shot Paul! Did you use a Todd's canopy on your plane? How do you like the tint?

It is a Todd's "Tall Man" RV-3 canopy, and while the tint sometimes looks pretty dark in pictures, you don't notice it from the inside, and it does seem to keep some of the solar heat out (good in summer, not so good in winter). Overall, we like it.

More Shots....

The problem with a rapid-fire digital SLR is it takes some time to go through the mountain of photos you get....here are a couple more from yesterday.

Here's Nordo and his wife in their RV-8 on my wing:
IMG_2897.JPG

And here we are over the south end of the Carson Valley (Heavenly Ski Area would be out of frame to the right for reference):
IMG_2771.JPG

paul, i have it on my bucket list to head to the north west this summer, and where ever i end up.

right now i am haven a hard time being west at all, limn out on virgin gorda. see you soon in the western part of paradise. i just checked, pikes peak is only 400' shy of mt whitney. not bad info for a beach goer.

what were the winds the day of your mountain venture?
img0773v.jpg

img1013b.jpg

Paul, How is the tinted canopy at night? Does it restrict your visibility as compared to a clear canopy?

Paul, How is the tinted canopy at night? Does it restrict your visibility as compared to a clear canopy?

Haven't noticed any problem at all. At night, we are mostly looking at lights anyway, and they come through just fine.

Back