What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back in the saddle!!

aarvig

Well Known Member
Well, its been a long cold winter here in Minnesota with many days well below zero. Some of you will remember that in late October I lost one of my friends in an airplane accident. It put a huge damper on my interest to fly (and build) for that matter. I let my medical lapse, got out of currency and listed my plane for sale on several websites. When a serious buyer came along I stopped and asked myself if this was the road I really wanted to go down.
So, last week, I passed my medical and called a flight instructor to put me through a BFR and see if I remembered how to fly one of these things. I'm happy to say I passed with flying colors and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Today, with the temps hovering around 30 degrees, I rebelled against old man winter, opened the garage, cleaned the shop and installed my leading edges and W-919 doubler strips. Man, did I have fun. I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't give it up and I'm glad to be back in the saddle again.
Thanks to all who pushed me in that direction.

That's kind of how I was hoping that would end up.:)

I know the feeling of second-guessing your hobby when someone you know dies doing it. In the 35+ years I've been doing this, I've lost a number of friends and acquaintances, and almost every time, I ask myself whether it's all worth it. It sometimes takes weeks to get a good answer from myself, but I always decide YES I do enjoy this, YES it is worth it, and NO, the person who passed wouldn't want me to give it up on their account.

Aaron, nice to have you back. Are you still planning to build the FF or does that wait til the 9 is done?

'attaboy / man, Aaron. Understandable shock after the loss. But, even if for a few months, you just have to sleep on it and let events settle. Welcome back to the rivet-pounding club!

Welcome home again Aaron, yes it is worth it. Since I have completed my 7 I can not hardly let a day go by with out tinkering with something and have been flying almost every other day. Might not be for long each day but I do look forward to it.

Jack

Aaron,
Some of us are hooked for life.
Pleased to see you figured it out.
The urge to fly is primal, some have it some don't.

Aaron, welcome back! I'll be out at the hangar a few nights this week and some of next weekend working on the annual conditional inspection, drop by if you are nearby.

Thanks for the welcome backs everyone! You know that when you are always looking up in the sky when you hear a plane that flying will NEVER leave your blood.
I think Vlad said it best "Triple your training and keep flying." I agree. Thanks again everyone for all your persistence and encouragement. See you in the air or in the shop!:D

Back