What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight! N313TD ascends!

John Courte

Well Known Member
This morning at OXR was classic, perfect SoCal weather. As good a time as any for N313TD to go from project to airplane.

Thanks to everybody here for advice, guidance, and encouragement, and thanks to the folks at OXR for all the help.

Only a couple of squawks: Airspeed was inop (even though there was a reading on the ground), the engine farted some oil onto the cowl and the magneto gasket leaks a bit.

The airspeed turned out to be the AOA line plugged into the pitot connection and vice versa.

Here's a little clip of the first flight video:

http://youtu.be/FBrvlbVLdaM

The airspeed being out didn't really matter much. My tailwheel training and transition training let me know what I was supposed to be seeing outside the airplane.

Congratulations!!

John, congrats on the new fledgling:D

Be safe, and enjoy your phase 1.

brings back my memories of a new plane and first flights. wow, such a long time ago. enjoy it, and fix those funny noises. ;);)
photocopy.jpg

...also I like that way you pull onto the numbers and without hesitating... put the balls to the wall!

Kinda like you have been waiting for this moment for years, huh?

When I test flew the -6, I remember that I hesitated and soaked things in for a bit.

Either way, you gotta love it!

Again, Nice job!

:) CJ

The seats are the Classic Aero Aviators in leather. At this point, they're more like neckrests, because I had to boost the seat cushion up about 3 inches.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

Today was 2nd and 3rd flights. About the 3rd lap around the pattern it hit me:
I can go flying whenever the **** I want, weather permitting. This is a new feeling for me. I've always rented. Not only do I own this one, I built it. And not only did I build it, I built it pretty straight. It flies hands off, and it jumps off the runway like a bottle rocket. If I'd known it was this much fun, I wouldn't have dilly-dallied on the build so much.

That's the CMCT3L from ACS. I need to put some sort of cover on the side, but since the only fingers likely in danger from it for a while are mine, so I'm in no hurry. If you use this one, you will most likely be grinding off some of the beef on the cable clevises to get them to clear, but I've no complaints so far.

Back