What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bambi's Breakfast Run & First RV Grin

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Yesterday was my first ride in an RV, a -6A to be exact, compliments of Dan Thompson "omega232devils" here on the forum. Dan was cool enough to offer me a ride and show me around the Hangars at Gillespie Field (KSEE) in San Diego. To my surprise Dan had also coordinated this to be a breakfast run with two other RV's on the field, Bill Judge (RV-8) and (call sign) "OB" with his wife (RV-8). What a cool experience riding along in an RV in formation with real fighter pilots. (Photos compliments of good ol iPhone)

Dan Posing by his plane (actually he was taking to bill)
15wxchz.jpg

OB and his wife taxing out
2937t00.jpg

Bill Judge in the Runup
2gvq9w1.jpg

OB off the left wing
34njwhe.jpg

Bill off the right wing
4tvml5.jpg

Dan bringing us in tight on OB for the overhead
10crbz4.jpg

2h376gp.jpg

Bill sneaking up off my shoulder
2rqkiva.jpg

Last edited:
Continued

Bill's Ride
e5r9zl.jpg

OB's ride
18dqhl.jpg

Enroute back to KSEE (sorry Vlad, missed the pic of Bambi's bacon & eggs)
2vay16h.jpg

Maverick has the ball back at KSEE and slippin her into to land
166dn5w.jpg

What a great day. Gotta finish my plane, I can tell this wont get old soon!

Derek----------Good writeup, and congrats on the first ride:D

I love the composition of this shot-----------wonder how long non pilots will look at and not understand what is going on???

166dn5w.jpg

Great fun!!!

Derek,

Thanks for coming out. What great fun. Give me a shout next time you get 'Hall Pass' and we will do it again. It is not difficult to talk RV guys into flying.

Quote of the flight:
After takeoff, I passed Derek the controls, we departed the pattern and turned Northeast. I asked Derek, "How much time do you have in RVs?" to which Derek looked down at the clock I had started on takeoff roll and said "About 0.2 hours!" :eek: hahaha

Dan

Great to see cousin Danno in action. Like in good old days playing by cliffs of Nova Scotia :D

Good fun!

Derek, nice to meet you in person finally, I did the same thing: had never ridden in an RV until after I started building.

Bill Judge
N84WJ, RV-8 982 hrs
rv-8.blogspot.com

Insider's secret at Hangar One Cafe

Next time you visit Bambi, ask about the dessert of the day immediately - the lemonade cake is a personal favorite - because they don't last long.
I know folks from a certain airport that will buy up all their pies as soon as they step in the door.

Back