What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dallas Trip-nivana Flight

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
In one's aviation life it is extremely rare to experience the pilots dream of tailwinds going and returning. I had this incredible experience on my recent trip to Dallas over Thanksgiving.

Before I begin I want to take a minute to thank fellow RVer Gary Robertson of Arlington, TX. A few weeks ago I put out a request for information when flying into the Dallas area. Gary spoke up with recommendations and offered me his hangar to keep my plane during my stay. His RV12 project is still gestating at his house. Gary further offered to drive me my son's place and pick me up on Friday. This made the trip very enjoyable and most importantly, I now have a great new friend. Thanks Gary.

I headed out Monday November 19, from Stellar Air Park in Chandler, AZ (P19). I was 'wheels off' 6:50 am. The route of flight was a ESE track to take me South of the Restricted Airspace of New Mexico. P19 to San Simon VOR, Newman VOR near El Paso and then on to Andrews County, E11 for my fuel stop. During that first leg I got the usual tailwinds with a nice push.

I flew at 9500 for terrain clearance and to take advantage of the winds aloft provided by XM Weather. I didn't see much less than 180kts ground speed during at 450+ miles. The engine was leaned down to a nice 8.4 gph.

Andrews County is a nice fuel stop logistically. E11 provides 3 runways to minimize any potential crosswind issues. Fuel is convenient and cheap in today's world, $4.77 pg. While I was getting fuel a familiar plane landed and was taxiing to the pumps. Paul and Louise stopped for fuel on their way West to Big Bear. We chatted and headed off. I let them know they were in for about a 20 knot head wind as the forged on.

After taking off I again had the advantage of nice tailwind giving me 180 kts of ground speed for the final 276nm's to Arlington.

I had not flown into this area before so I studied the charts to familiarize myself with the Class Bravo airspace. Gary also provided me with details that were very helpful. Something I learned some time ago is to use Google Earth to review unfamiliar territory. You can get an overview, look at detail and actually use the 'slant' feature to track an approach. Very handy. Give it a try.

I taxied to Gary's hangar and we got the plane put away. We had a great lunch at Bone Daddy's House of Smoke. The food was great and the scenery better:D

Monday night my son, Matt Barrie, hosts a Dallas Cowboys show at the House of Blues downtown. It is recorded with a live audience and shown on Sunday mornings. I was able to attend and watch the process with his lovely wife, Ashley. This is the first time I've got to see his work as it is happening.

The picture is the set at the House of Blues. His co host this night was DeMarcus Ware, DE for the Cowboys. I got to meet him later and he is true gentleman and a great ambassador for the Cowboys organization.

fko2h5.jpg
[/IMG]

The next day I schooled Junior on a nice game of golf. Perfect weather. I didn't have a great game but significantly better than Matt's:eek: He doesn't lose well:rolleyes:

That night they took me to a really nice restaurant for a belated birthday meal. I believe it was call Hibiscus. Incredible food and service.

We had a nice meal Thanksgiving then off to the game. The advantage of media parking got us close to the behemoth stadium. What an impressive place. Matt had gotten a couple of tickets from Mr. Ware's agent. Great seats. After a picture, Matt had to do his media thing so I ventured off to look around.

bgs8qw.jpg
[/IMG]

After the game I walked around more while Matt was doing his post game interviews. By the time he was done, there was no traffic. We were out quick. Matt and wife were leaving on a Red Eye later that night so good thing we had no traffic issues.

Part 2 coming.

Dallas Trip-nirvana flight

Checking weather for the return home Friday morning showed relatively clear skies and significant wind out of the ENE. Does this mean what I think? It did!!!

Gary picked me up Friday morning and we headed to Arlington airport. The wind was strong out of the North. We pushed the plane out and it wanted to go on it's own. Gary held things in place while I got in and got on the brakes. Fired up, got everything programed and headed to the 34. Cleared for take off. I think I rolled about 20 feet!!!! Climbed out, headed West and got handed off the Regional Departure. Flight following all set up and I was under way.

At 6500 feet I was hauling. I checked winds aloft on XM and found this was the best altitude. The picture shows the ground speed. Didn't see much less than 200 knots to Andrews County.

141kwx.jpg
[/IMG]

That was the good news. As I got closer to Andrews, the air was brown and hazy with obvious high surface Checking the METARS for E11 I could see I would have about a 20 degree crosswind with 15 gusting to 25. Confirmed by ASOS as I got closer. Normally not a big deal but the gust spread was +10. Not fun. I fought the plane all the way but made a nice landing. Fortunately the pumps are oriented so I could put the nose into the wind and set the parking brake. Not sure if I could have gotten out quick enough to chalk. Glad I put in parking brake.

Headed out and continued to enjoy a 20+ knot tailwind all the way home. It is extremely unusual to have the wind from this direct when headed West. Even with this significant wind the flight was smooth. Never had that before and possible but highly unlikely to have it again.

The flight to Dallas was 4:50 door to door. The return flight was 4:40. Both including the fuel stop.

This was a really great trip. A fast flight, meeting a new friend and spending time with family. Gary, thanks for your incredible hospitality. You truly made the trip much easier.

That's what these planes are all about. Keep pounding and squeezing!!!

Flight following great

I got a couple of emails asking how the Flight Following process was on my trip.

I must tell you the process was great. All of the controllers were easy to work with. The Class Bravo in the Dallas area was some of the easiest I've worked with. Very comfortable.

Don't be afraid to use the system!!

Thanks for the kind words, Darwin. You are welcome here anytime. But next time, rent some golf clubs so you can keep the passenger seat in your plane. Then we can go bore holes in the north Texas sky, go visit the locals, etc :D

Incredible speeds on your entire trip! Glad you had a good time here in DFW! Come back anytime. If my hangar has my RV-12 in it by then, I'll find you space in another KGKY hangar for your stay.

*** Footnote: IF the Cowboys were doing worth a darn, I'd be asking you to get me the ticket hookup from your son. But since the Cowboys are delusional these days, I'll just spend my Sunday's working on the RV:)

Last edited:
Looking good Darwin. Is this the son that was in South Carolina for a while?

I'm ready to see that other bird fly!

As a side note about flight following. I encourage everyone to do it on long xc's when you are alone. I live in the busy Atlanta airspace and use it often. Not one time have they ever been too busy or rude to me.

I will say I used it the day before Thanksgiving and I got to hear a controller and a 172 pilot go at it over what the controller called the airplane. I think the controller said, "Piper N blah blah blah" and the guy answered "It's a Cessna not a Piper". Controller wasn't pleased with that comment.

Yes

Hey Sid,

Yes, he did a couple of years in Columbia, SC. Getting a job in television media is akin to getting an airline Captains job. You work your way up and pay your dues. Work in out of the way places with low pay etc.... He's there now and can write his own ticket. Dallas is the 5 or 6th sports market in the US so he's made it to the "left seat."

New plane is progressing. I've got everything but the exhaust and EFIS screens for completion. Ready to start the canopy. This one is going to be something. I'm not building again so I'm doing everything can to this one. IO390 should do it!! No detail left unattended.

Back