What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I love my RV

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Well, after a year of flying, two trips to oshkosh and several few hour cross countries.....GHOST was in need of some bigger trips.
VANS HOMECOMING was the reason we used. We took 10 days and flew the following. ALL BIRDS RETURNED WITHOUT ISSUE. Unbelievable number of miles.
90zz4i.jpg

We had 6 ships head out, we overnighted in Bismarck and Great Falls Montana before heading to Independence. Good people all along the way and our hosts in independence could not have been nicer.

2s8652a.jpg

Side trip to vans factory to see where all my money went, and then met the king himself in independence.

1pibgm.jpg

Side trip to McMinnville with friends to see that goose and other great sights.
2q8cxo2.jpg

Side trip to California just to say we did...
ao1003.jpg

Side trip to Crater lake, just to say we did.
343g8aw.jpg

More to come. 10 days. 10 beautiful states, 5 provinces, just shy of 6000 st miles. Wife loved it all. What an incredible airplane, and great trip. Keep builidng, you have no idea how much fun it can be to be able to experiene something like this.

More pics to come.

Last edited:
A few more pics

5tik5.jpg

Nothing like getting to share a trip like this with your spouse.

2644c47.jpg

1st night sitting in Independece Oregon. Long way from home but AWESOME.

2chtcpf.jpg

This was in Hope BC. We got to visit family at Boundary Bay, Chilliwack, Hope and Moose Jaw
2pqp178.jpg

Got to pose with some of the stars of the Hit show ICE PILOTS up close in Red Deer Alberta.

Fly with my buds,
mrsio6.jpg

2zob52b.jpg

See just awesome scenery

xqcrbs.jpg

My buddy flys a stearman, this ride was a must for him, my wife enjoys stearman rides too!

155gnxz.jpg

2ngymoz.jpg

Last edited:
great stuff. great pics. no clouds. smooth sailing. the way to go. get out of your comfort zone and go for it. the NW is on my bucket list of places to fly to. keep em coming. thanks. :)

img08770.jpg

That's a lot of ground covered Rick. Nice pictures I am sure you have more. Are you coming to Stanley CCW4?

familiar sights

The last picture on post #3 is a little knob on the ridge east of I-5 as you go north from Shasta valley toward Siskiyou summit, almost right on the Oregon/California border. I have circled it many times in my glider. Hope you met nice glider folks in Montague/Siskiyou Co.

Pilot Rock

The last picture on post #3 is a little knob on the ridge east of I-5 as you go north from Shasta valley toward Siskiyou summit, almost right on the Oregon/California border. I have circled it many times in my glider. Hope you met nice glider folks in Montague/Siskiyou Co.

That's "Pilot Rock".

Last edited:
thanks

Correct, wife pointed that out on charts as we got close. Pilot rock..hope there wasnt a reason for that.
As for east coast trip, sorry Vlad, I have to get back to work to prep for fuel bill coming in. Yikes.:eek:

When I was building I always enjoyed the trip stuff, nice to finally be able to experience it myself. Beautiful countries we live in and the RV is just the ideal machine to get to the pretty spots.

Cheers, Rick

Pilot Rock

Correct, wife pointed that out on charts as we got close. Pilot rock..hope there wasnt a reason for that.

I can not get the Wikipedia URL to insert but the rock (volcanic plug) was named for pioneers traveling from California to Oregon.
There was a fatal military plane crash there in the +- 1940s but that was not the reason for the name.

Headsets

They are Halo's

Highly recommend. The diff between this type and the headclamps over a few hours flying is amazing. I have clarks and senss, and just dont want to go back to the old style.

Wow factor

Came across your plane at 7S5 during homecoming and paint job on your plane is even more striking in person - beautiful job Rick!

Jim A

Pilot Rock on the Siskiyou Summit, Oregon/Calif border near Mt. Ashland. Hikeable & climbable...

Last edited:
Rick, was good talking to you and your wife at the homecoming, glad you made it.

Enjoying the photos of the trip, keep them coming:D

Can we get some detail on the route you took across both the US and Canadian Rockies? I may be doing a Victoria to Calgary series of legs on a spring trip from Austin TX, SJC, Victoria, calgary, and back down. would love to know the route you picked.
thanks

Rick, was good talking to you and your wife at the homecoming, glad you made it.

Enjoying the photos of the trip, keep them coming:D

They are Halo's

Highly recommend. The diff between this type and the headclamps over a few hours flying is amazing. I have clarks and senss, and just dont want to go back to the old style.

Agreed! I just bought Clarity's and will never go back to the head clamps.

Back