What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SkyView 4.0 Ships!

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
To all our SkyView customers, SkyView software version 4.0 is now available.

4.0 Adds:

Basemap: Roads, rivers, cities, railroads, etc. This is a free database, available worldwide in high resolution.

Greatly enhanced mapping visuals: Graphics that match the style and color of sectional type charts. This includes shaded, dashed and other airspace depictions, greatly enhancing in-flight awareness. European airspace details have been added to reflect all airspace categories.

Check out the new map:

screenshot-20120821-163350-943.bmp

AHRS Cross-Checking: Multiple AHRS units are now constantly cross-checked in the background and will alert the user if they do not agree. The user is then presented with a simple display of both attitude solutions so they can choose the correct one.

Enhanced Network redundancy: The system now utilizes a fully redundant power and data network between the SkyView screens and modules. This prevents almost all single wire failures from causing a loss of data.

Visit the download link here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_SkyView.html

Last edited:
Looks very pretty

But might it be getting a little 'cluttered' for something that might be just 7 or 10 inches big? Might well increase head in cockpit time....never a good idea IMO, but will be easier to use than a map.

Anything you don't care to see on the map can be turned off, which can help clutter enormously.

Here's a sectional of the same area. You can see it's not exactly easy to read! You can see how much easier the restricted area is to see on our map (orange, up top)

JFK.bmp

Last edited:
4.0 Adds:

AHRS Cross-Checking: Multiple AHRS units are now constantly cross-checked in the background and will alert the user if they do not agree. The user is then presented with a simple display of both attitude solutions so they can choose the correct one.

Sorry, I'm still chuckling about that :). What does that look like?

Can you set the degree to which they must disagree before you are notified? I'm sure that two different AHRS units will come up with slightly different readings and there must be some epsilon that would be exceeded before notification would be necessary. What are those epsilon values?

The user gets a warning that says "AHRS CROSS-CHECK ERROR: PITCH". They can then press a button, which will display both AHRS solutions side by side. The user can press "disable" on the AHRS that they no longer want in the system.

You cannot set the disagreement ranges yourself. We have chosen values that we believe are reasonable to catch AHRS units that are in serious disagreement without giving nuisance alarms. Each term (G-meter, pitch, roll, heading, airspeed, etc) has a different difference based on our data. There is more processing going on as well besides just simple differences.

Anything you don't care to see on the map can be turned off, which can help clutter enormously.

Here's a sectional of the same area. You can see it's not exactly easy to read! You can see how much easier the restricted area is to see on our map (orange, up top)

JFK.bmp

I take your point, but in my defence I did say I thought it would be better than a map

if you are in the soup and the ahrs cross check warning comes up...how do you know which is correct?

Or use your cross-checking skills. If one shows a huge bank but neither shows your heading changing, the bank is probably wrong. If one shows you at zero airspeed, that one is wrong. If your GPS altitude is 8,000' and one shows 7,800' and the other shows 18,800', the higher one is wrong.

Ultimately, that's no different than what you would do if you were in the soup and had one brand X EFIS and one brand Y EFIS and they disagreed. You have to use your brain to decide what is likely right. the advantage here is the system is helping you cross-check constantly so you see as early as possible that one of your systems is failing. Also, it prevents you from going into the soup with a problem.

If you really want to install 3 AHRS modules, then you can use them to vote out the broken one (no, not automatically).

All this talk about ADAHRS cross checking has me wondering (and worried?) I opted to get only one Skyview ADAHRS with my dual Skyview displays since there is a totally separate ADAHRS in my Dynon D6 which I use as an independent backup attitude source.

1. How often do the Skyview ADAHRS units get errors that could affect safety of flight, especially in the weather? I am looking for empirical track record data from Dynon Support, if any exists. Anecdotal evidence from single end users is appreciated, but lacks sufficient sample size to be significant.

2. Should I have purchased a second ADAHRS for my fully IFR capable aircraft, even though I have a separate ADAHRS in my D6?

The user gets a warning that says "AHRS CROSS-CHECK ERROR: PITCH". They can then press a button, which will display both AHRS solutions side by side. The user can press "disable" on the AHRS that they no longer want in the system.

You cannot set the disagreement ranges yourself. We have chosen values that we believe are reasonable to catch AHRS units that are in serious disagreement without giving nuisance alarms. Each term (G-meter, pitch, roll, heading, airspeed, etc) has a different difference based on our data. There is more processing going on as well besides just simple differences.

Can you pull up both ahrs data manually? For preflight, I'd like to know what both units are thinking and then later during flight, I'd like to be able to check them against each other myself.

All this talk about ADAHRS cross checking has me wondering (and worried?) I opted to get only one Skyview ADAHRS with my dual Skyview displays since there is a totally separate ADAHRS in my Dynon D6 which I use as an independent backup attitude source.

As we always tell people, if you fly IFR, you need a backup. There are lots of ways to accomplish this, and the Dynon D6 is a great one.

We implemented AHRS cross-checking in SkyView not because AHRS units fail often, but because it's the right thing to do for pilot workload reduction. In fact, as far as I can remember, we've never had a SkyView AHRS module fail in flight, although I have not done a detailed review of all of our AHRS returns. Cross-checking is not valuable just in flight, but even when you first boot up. If the AHRS has failed, you'll get a warning even before you take off. It's just a good way to ensure that your system is solid and ready to go. Plus, it's something our customers have been asking for.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think there would be many ADAHRS failures due to the lack of moving parts. I will rest easy with my single Skyview ADAHRS and separate D6 ADAHRS then. :)

I thought I read somewhere recently that I will need to buy the GPS Navigation Software SV-MAP-270 Module for a one-time $500 fee before I can take advantage of SkyView 4.0. Is this true?

I am still in my 30-hour trial and want to hold off a bit longer before having to spend the money. Should I wait to install version 4.0 until then?

Thanks!

There is no difference between previous versions and 4.0 in needing the map certificate. If you are in your 30 hour trial or have SV-MAP-270 installed, you get all the mapping features, including the new ones. Upgrading will not expire your 30 flight hour timer nor reset it.

Without the map software, you will not see airports, airspaces, cities, roads, or anything else on the map page. The only thing present will be the terrain.

I believe what you likely read is that the basemap features require the SV-MAP-270 option to be used, and that is true, but the trial counts as having that option while the trial is active.

Back